Help Finding a Table

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks for the Shout Out Paul! I hope you are well sir! I do have an OS 8 GC4 on hand and ready for restoration! :)

TFT

Perhaps your best bet is to just call Trent and have him keep an eye out for you.
Trent McRitchie 419-491-7476
Maybe he already knows where one is.
Paul

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

I just moved into my first home and am looking for a table.

I am narrowing it down to an 8x4 table with a budget of $2k-$3k.

So far, I have come across local spots that are selling American Heritage and Golden West tables in my budget. However, I'm wondering if I should try to find a used table on Craigslist.

One example is this table: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/spo/d/colorado-springs-pool-table/7156654607.html

I am in the Denver area and don't mind traveling for the best deal.

I'm aware that Diamond and Brunswick, among a few other notable brands, are likely my best options. Should I stick with one of the trusted companies? Should I look to buy used?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The best tables can be found on "Offer Up" Good prices too.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP. Your room is great for length, but width is a problem. Standard 7’, playing surface 40”x80”, leaves you two inch backstroke. There is a similar thread on the forum now. Poster used sawhorses and 2x4s, to mock table size. Might want to try it.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I won't be able to knock down any walls.

The full room is 23'x13'6" so I am already stretching it with an 8' table.

It appears that the unanimous decision is to wait until a Gold Crown pops up, but I'm not sure how common 8' GC's are, especially in my area.

Okay, here you go. First of all you do need a regulation 8' table (44"x 88" playing surface), and even then you might want to invest in a couple of 52" house cues for the tightest shots. A nine footer would just be too big for that room's width. If you can find a used Brunswick Sport King or Medalist, that is a good second choice. Next up would be A.E. Schmidt or even a Gandy. There are many other good tables that were popular in the 8' size and you may get lucky and find one somewhere. In the Midwest we used to play on National Top Line and AMF tables, that were 8'. Either way, I would wait until you find a decent used table before buying a facsimile of a pool table. Who knows, an old Anniversary might pop up near you. Rebco made good tables out west and Global tables are okay as well. Murray commercial tables were another decent inexpensive table. Look for any of these names on used pool tables. One more possibility - Olhausen commercial table (made for poolrooms).

If you find something that looks good, don't hesitate to ask about it on here. Take pics if possible, of course. Good luck

P.S. You might want to consider a 7' bar table. You can probably get a Valley Cougar cheap, put on some Ridgeback rails and you've got a real pool table to play on. And you have enough room to enjoy it.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stated that I am specifically looking for an 8' table in my initial post. Thanks for the tip - I will find a new house immediately after purchasing my first house.

One of the requirements of the AZB forums is you must have the correct priories.

When looking for a wife/girlfriend

Does she like pool?
If not is she OK if you are gone 5 nights a week playing pool and on weekend tournaments along with several weeks a year for Vegas, SBE and Mosconi Cup trips?
Would she get mad if you spend more time with girls on your pool league or at the pool hall than with her?
Must smile and nod knowingly when you are explaining the purchase of a 5th cue or 8th shaft as to why it's so different and will make you play better than your other stuff.

When buying a house

Is there a room large enough for the table I want
Some other crap about crime rate, ride to work, yard, blah blah blah

So really it's your fault for not buying the right house in the first place, now you need to buy two. We can only hope you did not make the same mistake with the wife....

Last edited:

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would I like a Diamond in my house - sure!

But I got my small Valley table for free (just needed some buddies to help move it). Paid for new cushions and felt. Fits in my room, surface is flat... Has worked great! I even painted the legs and polished the pocket trim to make it look classy.

jayshonsykes

Registered
To the OP. Your room is great for length, but width is a problem. Standard 7’, playing surface 40”x80”, leaves you two inch backstroke. There is a similar thread on the forum now. Poster used sawhorses and 2x4s, to mock table size. Might want to try it.

Yeah, I checked out that thread. I mocked up the table size and am torn between a 7' or an 8' with 52" cues for certain shots. After researching threads here, it sounds like most strongly recommend sacrificing on table size rather than cue length.

jayshonsykes

Registered
Okay, here you go. First of all you do need a regulation 8' table (44"x 88" playing surface), and even then you might want to invest in a couple of 52" house cues for the tightest shots. A nine footer would just be too big for that room's width. If you can find a used Brunswick Sport King or Medalist, that is a good second choice. Next up would be A.E. Schmidt or even a Gandy. There are many other good tables that were popular in the 8' size and you may get lucky and find one somewhere. In the Midwest we used to play on National Top Line and AMF tables, that were 8'. Either way, I would wait until you find a decent used table before buying a facsimile of a pool table. Who knows, an old Anniversary might pop up near you. Rebco made good tables out west and Global tables are okay as well. Murray commercial tables were another decent inexpensive table. Look for any of these names on used pool tables. One more possibility - Olhausen commercial table (made for poolrooms).

If you find something that looks good, don't hesitate to ask about it on here. Take pics if possible, of course. Good luck

P.S. You might want to consider a 7' bar table. You can probably get a Valley Cougar cheap, put on some Ridgeback rails and you've got a real pool table to play on. And you have enough room to enjoy it.

Thanks, Jay.

This is great information.

I am officially on watch on multiple marketplaces to find the right table. I appreciate all the help. You all saved me from heading to a store this weekend to buy a piece of furniture.

Hopefully something good pops up soon!