Video->CTE Pro One versus Perfect Aim aiming systems

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
I've recently purchased a full HD camera and thought to test it while shooting some pool.
And because I'm trying to decide which aiming system to use constantly in order to become more consistent, I decided to record a friendly competition between Stan Shuffett's CTE Pro One and Gene Albrecht's Perfect Aim systems :)
To be honest both systems are great, I'm more comfortable with Perfect Aim because I've used it for like 3.5 years before I decided to give CTE Pro One a chance. But once I've become a bit more accustomed with Pro One I can say that I really like it, it's very objective, if you follow the steps you arrive in the center of the cue ball on the correct shot line!

Perfect Aim on the other hand requires quite some feel, you need to know from experience that perfect picture you want to get while standing and while getting down in your stance - and how to always keep the dominant eye in the dominant position for correct alignment.

In the video I run a rack of 8 ball using Perfect Aim on each shot, and then run the next rack using CTE Pro One on each shot, while trying to explain a bit after each rack how I shoot with each of these systems.

Hopefully my video can help someone who is struggling with either one of these systems: http://youtu.be/rlZIoPdWNR4

This is my first time posting a video of myself shooting, the position of the camera is not the best but hope it's acceptable...

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post and video.

Man, watching you pick lint off the table reminded me of Johnny Archer he would love your table.

I'm not a CTE/Pro1 player yet........still waiting on the video release.

I have had a phone lesson with Gene, last about an hour. Your explanation of PA has helped.

Nice room by the way.

Thanks for posting :)

John

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
This is a pretty informative video. That was some pretty good shooting too. I've never used either one of the methods, but it seems like they have worked well for you. I will try these when I'm at the table next time......although I should probably purchase both DVD'S to get the big picture of both methods.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well don't stop there get the TOI and you will have the holy trinity of aiming
:D

That might be true.

Perfect Aim is a way to figure out howyou are looking at things.

CTE is a way to dial in.

TOI is a way to maximize the sweet spot and stay in tight control of the cue ball.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I've recently purchased a full HD camera and thought to test it while shooting some pool.
And because I'm trying to decide which aiming system to use constantly in order to become more consistent, I decided to record a friendly competition between Stan Shuffett's CTE Pro One and Gene Albrecht's Perfect Aim systems :)
To be honest both systems are great, I'm more comfortable with Perfect Aim because I've used it for like 3.5 years before I decided to give CTE Pro One a chance. But once I've become a bit more accustomed with Pro One I can say that I really like it, it's very objective, if you follow the steps you arrive in the center of the cue ball on the correct shot line!

Perfect Aim on the other hand requires quite some feel, you need to know from experience that perfect picture you want to get while standing and while getting down in your stance - and how to always keep the dominant eye in the dominant position for correct alignment.

In the video I run a rack of 8 ball using Perfect Aim on each shot, and then run the next rack using CTE Pro One on each shot, while trying to explain a bit after each rack how I shoot with each of these systems.

Hopefully my video can help someone who is struggling with either one of these systems: http://youtu.be/rlZIoPdWNR4

This is my first time posting a video of myself shooting, the position of the camera is not the best but hope it's acceptable...

Great! Please add your video to the videos thread in the aiming section. I will add it to the master list.

I appreciate it because I haven't really paid much attention to Perfect Aim yet and was wondering how it compares.

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buna! Thanks for a great video. You shoot quite well under both systems. I noticed you seem to have a quite long bridge but you seem to have it worked out pretty well. Thanks much!

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Hi M,
Your video was very enjoyable to watch. You have an fantastic stroke.
Once again well done.
I'd be interested to know how long you have been playing for and what part of the world are you from.
Cheers:smile:

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
thanks

:thumbup:
Nice post and video.

Man, watching you pick lint off the table reminded me of Johnny Archer he would love you table.

I'm not a CTE/Pro1 player yet........still waiting on the video release.

I have had a phone lesson with Gene, last about an hour. Your explanation of PA has helped.

Nice room by the way.

Thanks for posting :)

John

Thanks John!
Actually I was not picking up lint off the table - what happened is my break cue is damaged and there is paint or something falling off of it on the table, and that is what I was picking up :)
I have a J&J Spark Break cue - a cheap cue (70 usd) but really good for the price...unfortunately the quality of the materials is of course not top of the edge, and it damaged quite fast (after 6 months of usage...).

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Well don't stop there get the TOI and you will have the holy trinity of aiming
:D

Ha ha nice one - but tell you what, I tried TOI for a couple of hours and it works! Fact is I'm used to spin the shots with outside english a lot and would take a lot of time to work on TOI and change my approach...
But I do use TOI quite a lot on almost straight in shots (5-10 degrees cuts) (where I aim for a straight in and just move the tip a hair on the inside to make the cue ball deflect) and also for thin cuts, where I find TOI to be very useful...

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Great! Please add your video to the videos thread in the aiming section. I will add it to the master list.

I appreciate it because I haven't really paid much attention to Perfect Aim yet and was wondering how it compares.

I added my video to your videos thread - thanks!

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
cheers!

Hi M,
Your video was very enjoyable to watch. You have an fantastic stroke.
Once again well done.
I'd be interested to know how long you have been playing for and what part of the world are you from.
Cheers:smile:

:thumbup:
Thanks for your appreciations gazman!
I've been playing for over 15 years, but I started playing seriousely about 5 years ago, when I purchased my pool table.
I'm from Romania.
How about you?
Cheers! :D

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I published an "Aiming System" on my 'Ultimate Pool Secrets" video in 1997.

Ha ha nice one - but tell you what, I tried TOI for a couple of hours and it works! Fact is I'm used to spin the shots with outside english a lot and would take a lot of time to work on TOI and change my approach...
But I do use TOI quite a lot on almost straight in shots (5-10 degrees cuts) (where I aim for a straight in and just move the tip a hair on the inside to make the cue ball deflect) and also for thin cuts, where I find TOI to be very useful...

I published an "Aiming System" on my 'Ultimate Pool Secrets" video in 1997....it's a sectional aiming system that creates all angles relative to "Center to Center" or "Center to Edge". It takes me about 20 minutes to go through the system and it's all on my three video DVD.

I use my Ultimate Aiming System above the shot (to visually Connect the Dots/Angles), and when I get down it's the TOI and I use my TIP to verify the angle. Just like many things in life, when it's important you need a "Check and Balance" which I get from this aiming "one/two punch". 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great video! :)

I've sent you a PM, please check :)

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi-Jack alert

I published an "Aiming System" on my 'Ultimate Pool Secrets" video in 1997....it's a sectional aiming system that creates all angles relative to "Center to Center" or "Center to Edge". It takes me about 20 minutes to go through the system and it's all on my three video DVD.

I use my Ultimate Aiming System above the shot (to visually Connect the Dots/Angles), and when I get down it's the TOI and I use my TIP to verify the angle. Just like many things in life, when it's important you need a "Check and Balance" which I get from this aiming "one/two punch". 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com
And yet another thread hi-jacked by cj. Lets get back to op and his video.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Perfect Aim is not really an aiming System per se. It is valuable information on how to get one's eyes in the correct position and have the best chance to see a shot line. It's good for people with strong dominant eye issues, especially for players who are right handed/left eye dominant and vice versa. It will improve aiming with players that use the quarter system, ghost ball, equal/opposite overlap, contact point to contact point, etc..........provided they can correctly estimate the shot line using those systems.

True...as compared with CTE Pro One indeed Perfect Aim does not have the clear steps that get you to the correct shot line, so could not be called a full aiming system...though Gene does describe his version of overlap system on his DVD and shows how to correctly envision that overlap and how to train (for example using a laser) for starting to see the correct overlaps for different shots...

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet another thread hi-jacked by cj. Lets get back to op and his video.

Yeah, I heard they're considering renaming this site to "CJ's CyberBilliards Cafe". LOL To be fair, someone else mentioned TOI in one of their posts providing the opening. I'm not sure why TOI is in the Aiming Forum anyway as it seems like more of a stroke technique than an aiming system. While CJ will possibly dispute that, I'm not sure how since he just said in his post that he has an "aiming system" in the original DVD. Perhaps TOI is an aiming system on top of an aiming system.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
True...as compared with CTE Pro One indeed Perfect Aim does not have the clear steps that get you to the correct shot line, so could not be called a full aiming system...though Gene does describe his version of overlap system on his DVD and shows how to correctly envision that overlap and how to train (for example using a laser) for starting to see the correct overlaps for different shots...

I think it's a much simpler "system". Through experience and HAMB, you get to see that line .
It works for snooker players, it should work for pool.
The great thing about it imo is that you are lining up your stroke to the tea on that line.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
That might be true.

Perfect Aim is a way to figure out howyou are looking at things.

CTE is a way to dial in.

TOI is a way to maximize the sweet spot and stay in tight control of the cue ball.

Very true, and if you want icing on your cake then check out the SEE system
The SEE system IMO makes a complete package
Where it puts your feet works perfect for CTE visuals and makes you completely comfortable and confident in your feet placement
Feet placement IMO is extremely important