Ball Return Box

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to glue some new cork in my ball return box. Had planned on using contact cement but it looks like I will need to move it around a bit to get it into position, so that won't work. Has anybody glued cork down, and if so what did you use. Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_4491.jpg
    IMG_4491.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 338

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I just did mine 2 weeks ago with rubber that I got from Rob (dontlitethat)
I was able to put the bottom piece in place without glue then roll up 1/2 at a time, brush glue on, then stick it down, then do other half. It worked well.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Bob, that rubber mat works great. Don't forget to put that extra strip on the inside front where the balls contacts the gate of the box.

Rob.M

-

I just did mine 2 weeks ago with rubber that I got from Rob (dontlitethat)
I was able to put the bottom piece in place without glue then roll up 1/2 at a time, brush glue on, then stick it down, then do other half. It worked well.

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Steve, I tried to do mine in cork and wasn't happy with it so I went to home cheapo and bought a small piece of black indoor outdoor carpet that has a felt look. I cut it up and installed it with double sided carpet tape. I cut the large bottom piece big enough to cover the ramps where the balls fall down. It took a little time to cut all the small side pieces where the ball drops in but went together super easy with the tape and is holding up well and looks great after 100's of games played and I don't have to pick little pieces of cork off my table anymore. Total cost $20

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,
Thanks for the carpet idea. I got the cork down OK, but if it does not work well I'll switch over to carpet. Also, thanks for the stain mix you used and shared with me. I used it as a starting point and tweaked it a bit. It is interesting in that every piece of wood turns out a slightly different color.
Take care and enjoy your table, Steve

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bob, that rubber mat works great. Don't forget to put that extra strip on the inside front where the balls contacts the gate of the box.

Rob.M

-

Thanks Rob, the rubber is much nicer than the cork, no more cork all over the table. I only did the bottom so far, I used the piece that you double stacked for me. The worst part is getting the old cork off. I tried a sharp scraper but it was too easy to narf the wood, I ended up using a blue fiber wheel on my 4 1/2" angle grinder, it was messy but it came off quick. Thanks again!!!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Bob, you'll be much happier with the rubber before cork or carpet any day, the carpet is a chalk dust,dirt,grime and hand oil collector... Carpet is a pain to clean and maintain... How many guys you know or poolrooms that clean/vacuum/shampoo the carpet in the GOLD CROWN ball box regularly? I bet no one has ever tried to clean or vacuum the carpet in the ball box when installing new cloth...the carpet has pros and cons but the cons out weigh the pros. You'll be washing chalk dust and grime out of the carpet for days before the water used to shampoo/wash the carpet runs clear. Imagine if valley used carpet in their ball box:yikes:
The rubber wipes clean so quick and easy.
This is a commercially use GC, as you can see the wear and the threshold could use a strip of protective rubber or some type of cover... Looks like a poolroom rat has been scratching at it..

Rob.M

-

Thanks Rob, the rubber is much nicer than the cork, no more cork all over the table. I only did the bottom so far, I used the piece that you double stacked for me. The worst part is getting the old cork off. I tried a sharp scraper but it was too easy to narf the wood, I ended up using a blue fiber wheel on my 4 1/2" angle grinder, it was messy but it came off quick. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bob, you'll be much happier with the rubber before cork or carpet any day, the carpet is a chalk dust,dirt,grime and hand oil collector... Carpet is a pain to clean and maintain... How many guys you know or poolrooms that clean/vacuum/shampoo the carpet in the GOLD CROWN ball box regularly? I bet no one has ever tried to clean or vacuum the carpet in the ball box when installing new cloth...the carpet has pros and cons but the cons out weigh the pros. You'll be washing chalk dust and grime out of the carpet for days before the water used to shampoo/wash the carpet runs clear. Imagine if valley used carpet in their ball box:yikes:
The rubber wipes clean so quick and easy.
This is a commercially use GC, as you can see the wear and the threshold could use a strip of protective rubber or some type of cover... Looks like a poolroom rat has been scratching at it..

Rob.M

-

Clean out a ball box? Surely you jest!!! I wipe down the tables, mostly Diamonds, before I play league just to try to keep my hands and cue from getting dirty!!!!:angry: