Cmon! The Americans are getting sharked!

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off Id like to set two things straight.
1 I'm not American (Canadian) I'm just another fan who wants to see good pool.
2 I get it that the Europeans are stronger than the US these days.So what? That may change in the future.

What Id like to address is the obvious fact that no one seems to be talking about. The Americans are getting sharked!
I've never seen worse sharking ever and its been going on in England for years.
"Y'all" know what Im talking about right? So blatant - so obvious. And Americans put up with year after year. It has become normalized and expected.

Euro fans do manage to shut up when the player is down on the shot. But what about the constant yelping and holloring and woo-ing at the US player is between shots?
Isn't that also sharking?
Every time a US player,s cueball is not perfect there is a chorus of wooo's. And this year there's a new one - yelping like a coyote.
And of course you can hear a pin drop when a Euro player is at the table.

Has anyone ever seen Shane play worse? Its obvious why.
Personally I couldn't handle it .

A few years back Johnny Archer had to listen to - "Hey Johnny I want to f*** your wife" while he was at the table and his wife was in attendance.(JA turned to the crowd and said "Don't be disrespectful!").Nothing else was ever done about this.

Compare that with how much respect they show snooker players. If anyone did one tenth of that nonsense when Ronnie O'Sullivan is at the table he would be thrown out in an instant and then have his name dragged through the British tabloids for a week.

Michaela Tabb was the last one to stand up to these idiots. "That's enough! I'm not having any of it!!"

The most Nigel Rees ever does is lift up his hand.

I know that he Mosconi Cup has a reputation for being the most exciting pool show of the year but it would still be what it is without the sharking.

Ok that concludes my rant. Does anyone else feel the same way and should some action be taken to stop it.?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The Euuuuuuurope and the Woooooooo is a bit absurd. I can completely understand wanting your team to do well but that's a bit much. That shit would never fly at any other pool tournament.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Euuuuuuurope and the Woooooooo is a bit absurd. I can completely understand wanting your team to do well but that's a bit much. That shit would never fly at any other pool tournament.

Tap, tap, tap! Thank you! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To be fair, most other pool tournaments have about four people watching.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be mistaken, but I remember watching Michaela scold the crowd and throw down the gauntlet, if one more outburst she would rule foul and give ball in hand to the opponent. (It might have been during an Earl Mosconi cup match)

If anyone else remembers this, please chime in.

But from what I recall, the audience was extremely toned down afterwards.

If so, than there has been steps taken before to keep it respectable.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, the crowd is so quiet here during Appleton's run out. https://youtu.be/JR4Dc54AaLM?t=7m35s

It's happening on both sides. Should the crowd be dead silent? Well, for starters this is an exhibition focused on entertainment and not an actual tournament. Also, notice how in the run out linked above, Daz just goes about his business as usual.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes you can shark yourself. One would think that this caliber of player is beyond that but you can get into your own head. When playing an opponent that never misses you realize you cannot miss when at the table and that can have a negative effect on your play. This has happened to me and I have done it to others and I am sure you all have been in similar situations. The jovial hostile crowd doesn't help.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
To be fair, most other pool tournaments have about four people watching.
I go to the the US Open every year. There were a few hundred there. No hollaring.

Expo pro event normally has a good crowd and a lot of those people arent Pro Pool fans. They stop in to see it as they are there with a TAP league team. Again, Quiet, respetful, No hollaring.

It's not just American players at these events. When Corey lost to Darren in the the US Open finals, there was no one cheering between shots for either player like what happens at the Mosconi. People were clapping and such and naturally most were pulling for Corey since he is from here.... but no Woooooos, not UUUUUUUSSSSS.... nothing at all like what happens at the Mosconi.

It's pretty embarassing IMO. I hold pool to a higher level then your typical team sport with drunks at a stadium screaming. Sure we are not exactly a snobby bunch, but we arent the high school jock either.

The Woos after bad shots are completely unsportsmanlike.

Last edited:

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Wow, the crowd is so quiet here during Appleton's run out. https://youtu.be/JR4Dc54AaLM?t=7m35s

It's happening on both sides. Should the crowd be dead silent? Well, for starters this is an exhibition focused on entertainment and not an actual tournament. Also, notice how in the run out linked above, Daz just goes about his business as usual.

They are routing for him not against him. But you're correct its a race to 5 exhibition match.

Something needs to be done, its one of my favorite pool happenings of the year...(thats a JAM saying).

But USA needs some new blood in Vegas next year. The USA won the Ryder Cup without Tiger this year...just saying

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's noise sure but the crowd is cheering for Daz. That's the difference. And he knows it.
Theres 10K on the line for each player so I don't agree that its just exhibition.
There's also national pride and having to play in front of the largest TV crowd of the year.On top of that they have to put up the wooo-ing and yelping
I dont think its necessary - i think they can cheer all they want as long as a player is not at the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You people EVER watch a Brit soccer game? Bunch of the most class-less morons ever. Now, transport same bunch of idiots to MC, mix in a good dose of alky-haul and BAM!! This is what you get. I expected it to be worse ,actually. BTW, its NOT why the U.S. is losing. They're getting their nuts shot off folks.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most disrespectful thing I've seen was Appleton's reaction to winning his single match against Shane. Totally over the top and flat out rude.

octy81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah even Rodney Morris said it was tough and he felt alittle nervous and his hand would shake , after the match against Shaw he said they were call him Ross or some shit , and when he would get on the 9 you could hear them still hollering and wooing and shit. It sucks to see great players not being able to play to there best cause they have to deal with some loud mouths in the crowd.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hold pool to a higher level then your typical team sport with drunks at a stadium screaming.

You mean like actual professional sports?

You people EVER watch a Brit soccer game? Bunch of the most class-less morons ever. Now, transport same bunch of idiots to MC, mix in a good dose of alky-haul and BAM!! This is what you get. I expected it to be worse ,actually. BTW, its NOT why the U.S. is losing. They're getting their nuts shot off folks.

Also a bunch of millionaires playing in front of them. Millionaires because of fan interest. Ask the players at the Mosconi which situation they'd prefer.

Personally, I'm not hugely enamoured with all of the shouting, etc., but I'm a fairly quiet person generally. It does add to the atmosphere of the event, in the same way the noise/shouting adds to the atmosphere of a football match. It's not always classy or respectful, but it does make it exciting - it makes the players earn their money, too.

I'm not a golf fan, but seeing as we're talking about the Mosconi, look at the Ryder Cup. It has a more boisterous crowd compared to your average pro golf event. It's different. The difference between the Mosconi and your average pro pool event, is that this one actually has a crowd. Go figure.

The most disrespectful thing I've seen was Appleton's reaction to winning his single match against Shane. Totally over the top and flat out rude.

lol

Last edited:

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
After all these years and you still don't get it. The Mosconi Cup is NOT your standard/normal tournament. The crowd plays a huge part in this event. The players must deliver the goods under the highest of pressure. If your players can't handle shooting under these conditions, perhaps they shouldn't be there and let other players take their place. Simple. It's always been this way, from day 1 back in 1994. You didn't cry that much back in the days when USA dominated the event,because your boys were winning. Winning and having the crowd against you were making victory taste even better. Now that you're losing and losing badly, you come up with all the excuses in the world. Morris interview after his match with Shaw is the perfect example how a player should embrace the conditions of play and not fight it and cry about it.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member

LOL, true. While it isnt the most disrespectful thing I have every seen it definitely was over the top...

Congrats Darren. You won a race to 5.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After all these years and you still don't get it. The Mosconi Cup is NOT your standard/normal tournament. The crowd plays a huge part in this event. The players must deliver the goods under the highest of pressure. If your players can't handle shooting under these conditions, perhaps they shouldn't be there and let other players take their place. Simple. It's always been this way, from day 1 back in 1994. You didn't cry that much back in the days when USA dominated the event,because your boys were winning. Winning and having the crowd against you were making victory taste even better. Now that you're losing and losing badly, you come up with all the excuses in the world. Morris interview after his match with Shaw is the perfect example how a player should embrace the conditions of play and not fight it and cry about it.

Exactly this.

Noise when a player is down on the shot crosses the line. Noise between shots is fair game. As a player, learn how to deal with it, or lose.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's noise sure but the crowd is cheering for Daz. That's the difference. And he knows it.
Theres 10K on the line for each player so I don't agree that its just exhibition.
There's also national pride and having to play in front of the largest TV crowd of the year.On top of that they have to put up the wooo-ing and yelping
I dont think its necessary - i think they can cheer all they want as long as a player is not at the table.

It doesn't matter if the person walking in front of my shot is some guy or an attractive waitress.

A distraction is a distraction.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What about Shane's outburst jumping up n down like a kid high-5ing as if he strike he lottery when bustamante miss an easy shot in a hill-hill battle with busty recently.