Vision problems

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for options on correcting vision for pool. I've been away from shooting for a few years and always had excellent vision, now not so much.
I have been trying to shoot with my regular glasses but can't see out the top of them and I shoot better without them even though the balls are blurry. So I think I have 3 options.
first I know I have some slight cataracts and I have heard they correct your vision when you have cataract surgery.
second, get a pair of glasses made just for shooting pool.
third, get contact lenses. I don't know much about them but I think they are more expensive than glasses and kind of a pain.
I'd like to hear from some people with the same problem.

shaggybahama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got some new glasses today, what I had done was get it for a distance mid range instead of the regular glasses I wear. But would love to see other replies and options from fellow AZers.

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went with the pool specific glasses route. Really like them and never liked the idea of using contacts.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I wear contacts only for pool - they avoid the "glasses too small" problem, and aren't as much of a pain as I thought they'd be (took a little while to get used to sticking my fingers in my eyes, but now all good).

Be sure to tell the optometrist what they're for so you'll get the right prescription (range of focus = 2' to 10').

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
first of all i would see an optometrist or ophthalmologist and get a fresh exam of your eyes if you havent in a while
personally
i went the billiard glasses route after my exam

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have many, many years of experience with this- trial and error. I would NOT stay with regular glasses- the sight picture is never correct. I have tried the two major billiard glass guys- Decote HI WYDs and Curran Optical. Both are expensive- probably in the $400 range and I ALWAYS had issues with them fitting correctly. Also, overtime your prescription changes, which would probably be every few years- you need new lenses- those are also expensive- a few hundred a pair, any many opticians will NOT handle DRILL- THRU lens frames- so you get into shipping back to the original makers, time wasted, mail, etc.
MY BEST OPTION for the last 20 years- mid 40s to mid 60s - BY FAR - has been ONE DAY ACUVIEW disposable contacts. They cost about $1 each lens; you have a fresh set for each billiard event, the prescription changes only result in changing your NEXT order of contacts, You will have clearer vision with NO sight line variance AT ALL! AND, if you want, you can have your lens power SLIGHTLY reduced for optimum vision for the 1 to 9 foot range of a pool table- but that is really not necessary- 20/20 vision lenses will be just fine. Trust me, I tried EVERY variation- the contacts are BEST- I think EVERY pro who needs vision correction uses contacts.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the glasses thing for 7 years. My eye doctor blended my reading and distance eyewear prescriptions.
Basically he weakens the reading formula and strengthens the distance one and through trial and error
testing in his office, I tell him which new prescription furnishes the best vision picture for me.

Over the years, my prescription was changed due to cataracts which gradually worsened to the stage
where my health insurance approved the surgery. It is not elective surgery and health insurance plans
authorize surgery after the condition reaches a certain point of vision degradation.

Both my eyes underwent surgery last May and June. Wow! I had standard lenses used, not prescription
and my vision after surgery is almost 20/20. No reading glasses needed whatsoever and no distance
glasses either. Pool is now perfectly clear the entire table and I do mean clear. Colors are brighter, imagery
is superb and were it not for my age, I’d consider becoming a road player because I am playing the best pool
of my life even with a busted up right shoulder.

Glasses will definitely help but be sure to get the right prescription formula. Cataract surgery is like you stumbled
into Nirvana and it is extraordinarily satisfying to play pool with clear vision.

Matt B.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got glasses from here... http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/.

Very happy with them, the price was real good and they fit perfectly. The best thing about them is that you don't need to hold your head unnaturally to see when shooting. This is a Canadian place and prices are in Canadian dollars, were shipped fast to the US - got them about 8 days after ordering.

I used disposable contacts for many year just for playing but they eventually got to be too much trouble. I'm more likely to practice when I can just put on the glasses.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have many, many years of experience with this- trial and error. I would NOT stay with regular glasses- the sight picture is never correct. I have tried the two major billiard glass guys- Decote HI WYDs and Curran Optical. Both are expensive- probably in the $400 range and I ALWAYS had issues with them fitting correctly. Also, overtime your prescription changes, which would probably be every few years- you need new lenses- those are also expensive- a few hundred a pair, any many opticians will NOT handle DRILL- THRU lens frames- so you get into shipping back to the original makers, time wasted, mail, etc.
MY BEST OPTION for the last 20 years- mid 40s to mid 60s - BY FAR - has been ONE DAY ACUVIEW disposable contacts. They cost about $1 each lens; you have a fresh set for each billiard event, the prescription changes only result in changing your NEXT order of contacts, You will have clearer vision with NO sight line variance AT ALL! AND, if you want, you can have your lens power SLIGHTLY reduced for optimum vision for the 1 to 9 foot range of a pool table- but that is really not necessary- 20/20 vision lenses will be just fine. Trust me, I tried EVERY variation- the contacts are BEST- I think EVERY pro who needs vision correction uses contacts.

Thanks, maybe the contacts are the way to go. I have an eye appointment on the 9th. According to another reply my cataracts may not be bad enough for my insurance to cover the surgery. Do you just leave the contacts in all day then if you're going to practice throughout the day? Do you wear readers for reading when you have the contacts in?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same issue with using regular glass. I got a pair of the Bill Curan billiard glasses and they have been wonders for me.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. In the past couple weeks, I updated my contacts and glasses. Contacts are great for pool, golf, driving, and skiing. Both of my eyes suffer from astigmatism and glasses never worked for pool (the table looks too curved). I have a substantial cataract in my right eye and will probably have the lens replaced this spring. But probably will continue with the contact in my left eye (which is dominant for pool). Even though I intend to use glasses for most purposes, the contacts are great for sports.

I also agree about Acuview lenses. Mine are their Moist 1-Day brand. My only other experience with single use contacts is Dailies and I hated them. Single use lenses rely a lot on hydration to maintain their shape, Dailies more so than Acuview. Several times, the Dailies would tear when taking them out and I really didn't like trying to get the small remaining piece out of my eye. The Acuviews have never torn.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, maybe the contacts are the way to go. I have an eye appointment on the 9th. According to another reply my cataracts may not be bad enough for my insurance to cover the surgery. Do you just leave the contacts in all day then if you're going to practice throughout the day? Do you wear readers for reading when you have the contacts in?

I leave the contacts in all day- no problem. Yes i have to use readers with the contacts for reading. keep a spare pair in my case.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for options on correcting vision for pool. I've been away from shooting for a few years and always had excellent vision, now not so much.
I have been trying to shoot with my regular glasses but can't see out the top of them and I shoot better without them even though the balls are blurry. So I think I have 3 options.
first I know I have some slight cataracts and I have heard they correct your vision when you have cataract surgery.
third, get contact lenses. I don't know much about them but I think they are more expensive than glasses and kind of a pain.

Contact lenses.

Find an optometrist that will work with you and ask to be corrected for a 2'-10' range. Save them for pool. Wait for the cataract surgery until you really need it.

Lou Figueroa
really needs it

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
1. Vision get worse with age.

2. Old people get Cataracts.

3. Surgury is not the only solution, but if your the one doing the Surgury it adds to income stream.

4. Got see a Optomitrist, tell him, or her you need better vision to play Pool. Simple glasses might help.

5. It harder to see in low light situations, then in brig sunlike places. Most Pool rooms have poor quality light.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contacts - for all the reasons already given. I also use the Acuview brand - two week lens. Use my old glasses when playing at home, so the contacts last me more than two weeks since I don’t use them every day. Never wore contacts until I was 67 - took a couple weeks to get proficient getting them in and out, but very happy with them - far better than wearing glasses.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
glasses

I bought a pair of high quality aviator style sunglasses and had the lenses replaced with my prescription bi focals.. No more looking at the top frames. Works for me at $70 total

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like you, I had difficulty trying to wear glasses while playing pool after quitting for quite a few years back before I needed glasses.

I was either looking over them, or the frame was in my vision, or I had to put my neck in such a manner that it was unnatural and caused me neck cramps.

I then decided to have contacts made just for playing pool and that is what I've used for several years.

I just had a cataract removed from my right eye a couple weeks ago, so that eye is fine now, but I'm waiting for my left eye to be done and it is worse than my right eye was. So, for the last couple of weeks, I've been using a contact in my left eye only.

I've never tried the giant glasses made for pool, but I was considering them an option before I decided on contacts. Some people can't get used to wearing contacts at first, but I had no problem.

My only problem with contacts was that I have extreme astigmatism and it made the contacts not sit as flush on my eyes as they would on people without the astigmatism.

I can't wait to get my left eye fixed, so that I can get rid of that contact, too.

Aloha.

Last edited:

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some choices: https://www.spex4less.com/blog/snooker-player-glasses/

Other retailers also, all from UK.

I've got the Dennis Taylor frames, very happy with them. Took about a month.

** I have used the Snooker Spec Glasses from this same company for the last 6 years or so. I can't bring myself to stick contacts in my eyes so this is my best option. They work pretty well and the price is decent. I would like to have a pair of these that is a bifocal so I can see clearly up close to read or look at a close hit on a ball without having to change into my normal glasses, and back.