Cohen Cue custom made for RadicalOne

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
You make a mighty fine styled cue, but I gotta say, why cut corners and not do sharp points on the veneers?

P1030007_zpsb12b6991.jpg

From what I see the points are pretty sharp? I think you're referring to the black paper showing in some of the coloured veneers. These points are done using overlapping technique and some of the coloured veneers might not have been tight enough so the black paper sort of "bled" through.

All in all it's still a beautiful cue altogether with some nice design elements.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jive...I'd like to think that he was just tugging on the OP's leg.....those points are equal to the best of the best.....IMO......except for one cue that Santa brought you last December.

Now if you ever need to find a foster owner for your EP cue, I promise it would have a wonderful home with me.........Gosh, that's one gorgeous cue and I'm looking to get the same
version and Prewitt cues like yours are scarce.

Matt

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Zirroe,

Your cues are looking very, very nice. Crisp, well laid out, and executed very nicely.

I enjoyed seeing several of your cues at SBE.

Keep up the great work!

Will Prout

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I see the points are pretty sharp? I think you're referring to the black paper showing in some of the coloured veneers. These points are done using overlapping technique and some of the coloured veneers might not have been tight enough so the black paper sort of "bled" through.

All in all it's still a beautiful cue altogether with some nice design elements.

Jive...I'd like to think that he was just tugging on the OP's leg.....those points are equal to the best of the best.....IMO......except for one cue that Santa brought you last December.

That overlapping does technically prevent those veneers from being called 'sharp' points. It's the process of doing the overlapping that leads to gaps and unintended lines. It's a nice looking cue, but no matter what, for the price Eddie charges. I'd be pissed to receive a cue in that condition.

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That overlapping does technically prevent those veneers from being called 'sharp' points. It's the process of doing the overlapping that leads to gaps and unintended lines. It's a nice looking cue, but no matter what, for the price Eddie charges. I'd be pissed to receive a cue in that condition.

Theres no bleeding there is glare coming off the right side which might make the black paper look thinner on that side.

You have not messaged me for a price on a cue like this so you can't comment on prices I charge,

I can't please everybody, but the owner of this cue is very happy with it, if he had any problems I would take care of him.

Last edited:

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Southwest overlaps their points are you going to call Laurie and complain that their points are not sharp?

Why don't you complain about the price they are charging?

P.S. I love Laurie and the South West shop

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have not messaged me for a price on a cue like this so you can't comment on prices

Ah, but I have messaged you for prices on some of your other cues. So yes I have an estimate what this cost. I might even be on the low end. But I can guarantee that I won't ever own a stacked veneer cue likes yours. Not that it's ugly, but I personally find it to be the lazy way to do veneers, even if it takes more time. I don't find the look to be clean.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, but I have messaged you for prices on some of your other cues. So yes I have an estimate what this cost. I might even be on the low end. But I can guarantee that I won't ever own a stacked veneer cue likes yours. Not that it's ugly, but I personally find it to be the lazy way to do veneers, even if it takes more time. I don't find the look to be clean.

Oxymoron of the year...

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because you may wait more for glue to dry does not mean the veneers are harder to do. Go troll elsewhere.

Browse my profile.

Go through my threads started and posts made.

Check my rep.

Compare my join date and post count to your own.

Do those things before you call someone a troll. If you don't, you risk coming off quite ignorant.

Back on topic... If you don't like stacked veneers, that is fine. However, don't criticize a new cue maker who uses this technique when this is how his mentors taught him. This technique is good enough for local So Cal makers, with great reputations, like Kent Davis and Ariel Carmeli. It is also good enough for world famous makers, like Southwest. It's also good enough for many others.

If you don't like the technique, then say that... but don't come into a thread and say that the, obviously sharp, points on a particular cue aren't sharp because your definition of a "sharp point" is different than what most others think.

If there is someone who is coming off as a troll in this thread, I'm confident that it's not me.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Browse my profile.

Go through my threads started and posts made.

Check my rep.

Compare my join date and post count to your own.

Do those things before you call someone a troll. If you don't, you risk coming off quite ignorant.

Back on topic... If you don't like stacked veneers, that is fine. However, don't criticize a new cue maker who uses this technique when this is how his mentors taught him. This technique is good enough for local So Cal makers, with great reputations, like Kent Davis and Ariel Carmeli. It is also good enough for world famous makers, like Southwest. It's also good enough for many others.

If you don't like the technique, then say that... but don't come into a thread and say that the, obviously sharp, points on a particular cue aren't sharp because your definition of a "sharp point" is different than what most others think.

If there is someone who is coming off as a troll in this thread, I'm confident that it's not me.

Cheers,

Mike
I think he didnt like the line on the grey/silver veneer
I wouldnt be happy with that either
But otherwise its a nice looking cue

cueman1

Registered
I normally would not make a comment, but this thread needs some clarity. overlapping veneers are done by more than half the cuemakers making cues today. Part of the reason we do that usually there is not enough room in the shop for a table saw or if there is no knowledge of how to set up the machine properly(build a veneer splitter-aquire the proper saw blade to do the job). Secondly, once the first saw is set up a second saw may be required to square point wood. The reason you would have 2 saws is so you don`t break down your set-up once it is perfect. This is the reason Ginacue and Blackboar and Tad have more than 10 lathes in each of their shops. Also, Richard Black, Bill Stroud and many other older hall of fame cuemakers mitered their veneers and did not always the best job. Would you buy their cues because the points are supposedly sharp, but there is a black line down the middle.
Another thing to remember is that all the equipment costs a lot of money and he may not have made enough to upgrade his machinery yet, so why not say nice cue, but i wish it had mitered veneers instead of overlap. Saying it the way you did makes you sound like a know-it all and a dick.
Just in case you don`t know who I am my name is Ariel Carmeli

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
, so why not say nice cue, but i wish it had mitered veneers instead of overlap.

Because when he introduced himself and his cues the prices I got in a PM from Eddie gave me the indication that he is doing a certain level of work. Now that I've seen better pictures of the points of his cues, I personally don't see that level of work. Does that mean the cue is constructed poorly, not in the slightest. Am I allowed to say that I don't like the way he does something, yes I am. People do it all the time for other makers, him being young and newer does not excuse him from critiques. I can go to a few other makers and get sharp mitered veneers for less than half of what Eddie charges. All even points too. Your excuse that Eddie may not have the equipment means nothing when there are makers out there doing them with less than what Eddie has. I just don't understand the short cuts people take in building cues. Sure he may have perfected that stacked way, but in my opinion, it's a less than desirable look for the overall aspect of the cue.