Masse Cue

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What type of tip is best for a masse cue??? The only reference I found on 'Ask The Cue Maker' is Le Pro. No characteristics such as thickness, hardness, etc...

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What type of tip is best for a masse cue??? The only reference I found on 'Ask The Cue Maker' is Le Pro. No characteristics such as thickness, hardness, etc...
I don't know anything about masse cues, but given the amount of power needed for many masse shots I'm guessing harder is better.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about masse cues, but given the amount of power needed for many masse shots I'm guessing harder is better.

pj
chgo
At some point I ended up with a 16mm masse tip. It is thick and seems pretty soft. I suspect the point is to prolong contact and allow the cue ball to start sliding out from under the cue. In Artistic Billiards the masse cues that I've seen are thick, short and heavy. I think they are only interesting if you are going to spend a lot of time at masse shots. The softness may also help the cloth.:shocked2:

Bob <-- who has three masse shafts for his Balabushka

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
At some point I ended up with a 16mm masse tip. It is thick and seems pretty soft. I suspect the point is to prolong contact and allow the cue ball to start sliding out from under the cue.
Hmm... maybe that's why masse shots aren't jump shots.

pj
chgo