Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Rubik’s!

I will be more than happy to share the individual ball weights of the Romanique I’s upon my return to the Vault of Balls in two days time, sir, otherwise I’d have to recall the numbers from a foggy memory brought on by the sheer disbelief I actually had them in my hands I do vaguely recall the numbers were impressive. Enough so that I had to verify the scale calibration.

I think I’ll toss in numbers for the Romanique II’s while I’m at the test bench on Tuesday

Perhaps toss in a pic or two?

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick question on those extraordinary Romanique 1s if I may, K2K?

What are their respective weights, sir? Have they stayed reasonably matched throughout the set? It is interesting to me how some early balls (particularly those including formaldehyde in their compound) although varying slightly over the decades remain extremely consistent dependant on colour.

If one took three sets from the 1970s, for example, whereas the weights of each ball might not now be as consistent as at the time of manufacture, all the blue deuces from each box will be a gram lighter; the three 9s all weighing 165g etc.

Just an observation for the chemists. :)

As promised, RC...

Romanique I individual ball weights in grams of course:

*all averages are excluding the cue ball weights

Cue ball 164.4
I 161.2
II 162.0
III 161.9
IV 159.9
V 162.2
VI 162.4
VII 162.4
VIII 162.4
IX 162.4
X 163.3
XI 165.6
XII 163.8
XIII 163.9
XIV 161.5
XV 162.3

Giving us:

Range: 5.7g
Average/mean: 162.5g
Median: 162.4g
Mean absolute deviation of .9g

The Romanique II numbers by comparison:

Range: 3.7g
Average/mean: 161.9g
Median: 162.3
Mean absolute deviation of .9g

Now for the interesting...

The incredible Raschig 9 Ball set I have:

Range: 1.1g
Average/mean: 164.6g
Median: 164.7g
Mean absolute deviation of .2g

Compared to Aramith’s finest new TOURNAMENT set:

Range: 1.6g
Average/mean: 168.5g
Median: 168.4g
Mean absolute deviation of .3g

c5faf7a11bd0b14deba8653ff19a55f6.jpg

ae08597fbeaecb1d6e7e74ab68559534.jpg

And for fun...since Fats like to watch over what I’m up to:

c5dc536a469d462a38f76b96136b31aa.jpg

What do you think ole chap?

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, K2K. :)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post up those individual weights, sir, very interesting and much appreciated. I would wager a pound to a penny if we were ever fortunate enough to find another example of Romanique 1s (highly unlikely) that XI outlier at 165 grams would also weigh something similar in the second set.

Romanique 1, Romanique 2 and Raschig Turniersatz, eh? I strongly suspect you are the only collector in the world to own those three particular sets, Mr K. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regarding pool balls

I noticed this thread...
I have some sets of balls for sale, but first I need to get pricing.
Any help is appreciated.
Too many pictures, so I put all of them on the "link" below for everyone to see.

http://assets.goplaypool.com/poolballs.html

Again, any help or interest is appreciated.

You can email me at: ramin@goplaypool.com
I am not sure if I get notifications on here or not.

Thanks

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you would like an opinion for valuation, pricing, etc, may I suggest sending a PM or email.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This latest thread contribution today comes with a decade-long story of pursuit that has taken me on the path over no less than 5 less-than-desirable boxed sets that just didn’t pass muster for a number of typical reasons...no original-issue blue box; damaged balls displaying those “normal” and irritating nicks, gouges and scratches; no leaflet; missing gray ball tray; and even balls replaced with imitation numberless balls from untold Chinese manufacturers. I had to pass them all along to other buyers over the years because I could not get my hands on the ultimate set: Unplayed and perfect. Original box and tray. Original paperwork. Flawless.

Maybe they didn’t exist.

This shortened story began over 1 year ago with my good friend and partner of phenolic pursuits, Rubik’s Cube, from across the Atlantic. A set of balls matching my requirements “may”have been located he says. And so it began....

The end story: the relatively rare and flawless Raschig numberless 9-Ball set. Untouched by human hands. Never distributed. Never played. 100% original everything.

And it happened. I got them 6 months later.

2e270ca03bc368f4506844a084ed6a71.jpg

ef02a7ba789ee8ef108be89e23d6d146.jpg

Tolerances exceeding any ball set I have in what I call “The Collection”, which includes every ball set Aramith makes or has made in the last few decades. Not Hyatt. Not Cyclop. Not Vigma. Not even close really. Fabled perfection.

The sheer depth of color and brilliance is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Even under magnification. Yeah, crazy to even look under a scope, I know.

And not one set, but 2. One to play with and experience and marvel over and one perfect set to preserve and display. A conversation piece. A story that can’t be told standing up. Sit down, share a dram and prepare for a tall tale of balls, friendship and passion stretching across continents and many countries...

But we’ll share the whole story in its own thread in short time for all Raschig ball fans to chime in on and share.

One of a triumvirate in what I’d call the cornerstones of ball collecting - the peerless numberless Raschig 9’s.

Finally.

I couldn’t have done this without you, Rubik’s Cube - appreciated beyond words, sir!

~ K

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Mr K. :)

What a wonderful account, dear fellow. And beautiful photographs as always.

It was more than a pleasure to help find this precious addition to your truly phenomenal collection, it was an honour and a privilege.

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Alien Observer. :)

It was but a dream of mine also, sir, to one day own a set of these magnificent billiard balls. Joining AZB and finding likeminded souls was to prove a fantastic move. Not only has my humble collection welcomed several beautiful (and rare) additions, more importantly I have made some wonderful new friends into the bargain.

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been enjoying the carom games over the past 6 months or so with a few new ball sets to appreciate and enjoy along this rekindled path (especially the game English Billiards) where I can take the magnificent 61.5mm balls and share them on any standard pool table and introduce new players to this great cuesport segment.

Last year, Aramith quietly released a Carom ball set that was created in conjunction with the Dutch Billiard Federation called 5-Ball - specially developed to introduce carom to the younger generation. The game is being touted as an enthusiastic and dynamic game allowing beginners to succeed with their shots easily yet offering experienced players more challenges and scoring opportunities. More balls on the table making for more possibilities with the fun scoring variations.

To spare the dear reader all the details of the game rules and play options here within this thread, and for those interested in learning more, simply search for Aramith 5-Ball Carom and let your results take you where they may

In the meantime, here is a quick pic of these beauties being unboxed before heading out for a few practice games on a Verhoeven...

fdcec9fb5e792da904bfd1d3fdf4b1ff.jpg

As we’ve come to expect from Aramith, impeccable quality in every aspect with these is evident from the packaging to the finish. You’ve got to love the new colors with the green and blue not seen before on the carom tables.

Now - who’s in for a fun 5-Ball match over margaritas and queso?

~ K.

Here’s a quick added pic of the enclosed rule set from Aramith:

348a0a1aa7933b7d03b82b4d12b3c5b4.jpg

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Another fantastic set of billiard balls, Mr K, and equally impressive write up as always. :)

Reading through Aramith's rules and regulations sheet has inspired me to get back to work designing fun and challenging new games for the pool table. I remain absolutely confident some of our creations are worthy further investment... we just have to persuade the mighty Saluc to think likewise! :)

Best wishes,
RC.

XPLSV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today's Find

I have been enjoying this thread since its inception, but I have not had anything unique to add...until today. Found this set of marble-ized Camel balls in a locked case at the back of a local antique market on the way home. Unused.

Attachments

• camelboxa.jpg
    camelboxa.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 402
  • camel1a.jpg
    camel1a.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 384
  • camel2a.jpg
    camel2a.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 396

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been enjoying this thread since its inception, but I have not had anything unique to add...until today. Found this set of marble-ized Camel balls in a locked case at the back of a local antique market on the way home. Unused.

Are these considered the " elephant balls "???

XPLSV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are marble-ized like the Elephant balls...but these are not Elephant balls. RC and K2 may have some additional info on them...

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, XPLSV. :)

Beautiful set of pool balls, sir! Thank you so much for sharing, and for the kind words, they are both genuinely appreciated.

I have seen the set before, but not for a long time. Like BMM, I believe these were marketed under the Elephant Balls brand (under licence from Camel Cigarettes of course) at some point in the 1990s. I'm not sure if the box you have there is original as it's the generic black case out of China, but it has obviously served its protective duty with distinction... the balls look superb!

What a find. Bravo, sir!

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello again, XPLSV. :)

I've just noticed that your black box is oversized and, therefore, must have been originally sold with the balls. :)

That is rather puzzling, sir, as the other set I saw was in an Elephant Brand box. How bizarre! Not that it matters a jot, of course, they're beautiful whatever their home. :)

Thank you again for sharing.

Best wishes,
RC.

XPLSV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is shrink wrap still on it...although I couldn't tell if it was original. A three inch split across part of that shrink wrap.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Mr X. :)

I'll tell you what I think must be the case, sir. I now believe that I have been under a false illusion for the past twenty-five years that these lovely billiard balls were an Elephant brand!

I reckon you have discovered the originals and the ones I saw all those years ago were simply in the wrong box! What a fool I've been!

Thank you, sir, always good to learn something new.

Best wishes,
RC.