getting a new cue.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never played with a Tim Scruggs sneaky, but I couldn't agree more with the Schon recommendation. I would definitely see if you can hit one and give it a whirl.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
$moneyshooter$ said:
thanks for the input,i think im going with a sneaky pete by tim scruggs:D
I can't tell if you're joking. You're not going to pick up a Scruggs SP for $350. But his former partner, Bob Frey is making them again at that price range.

Fred

metalsubzero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend Mezz with Hybrid Pro 2 shaft.. With ur budget u should only be able to get plain janes, the EC series to be exact.. To me, Mezz cues are one of the top production cue makers right now, right along the line of predator.. Just MHO only..

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
I'm a hundred percent with Cubwin. If you're willing to go as high as $450, definitely get the Schon STL-1. It will hit the same as a Schon that costs thousands. You may want to check out Hawley's Billiards at www.hawleys.com

I could never agree with someone named "cubwin". Maybe soxwin though. Cubwin is an oxymoron as those two words do not go together. Someone who says that cannot know much about cues. j/k

I have a Dominiak cue. He is very good to deal with and makes a very nice cue for the price. You won't get the same value anywhere else. I am sure the other cues mentioned here are also good choices, and it boils down to personal prefernece. Value wise though, Dominiak is hard to beat.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
mantis99 said:
I could never agree with someone named "cubwin". Maybe soxwin though. Cubwin is an oxymoron as those two words do not go together. Someone who says that cannot know much about cues. j/k

I have a Dominiak cue. He is very good to deal with and makes a very nice cue for the price. You won't get the same value anywhere else. I am sure the other cues mentioned here are also good choices, and it boils down to personal prefernece. Value wise though, Dominiak is hard to beat.

I'm a optimist is all. Like the underdog, might bet on the long shot.

I've seen on scruggs sneaky this year for under 4, and it was pretty beat up. I may in fact buy it for 4 beat up and all. Usually they are going for 5-6 this year, sometimes higher.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
I'm a hundred percent with Cubwin. If you're willing to go as high as $450, definitely get the Schon STL-1. It will hit the same as a Schon that costs thousands. You may want to check out Hawley's Billiards at www.hawleys.com

My guess is if you shop a bit you could really find a new one for 390-415 or so. Take a bit of shopping though.

Hawleys is a good place I'll agree.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
wolfgang said:
These are in your price range. http://www.joseycues.com/cues.php

I would have to second this! These cues are phenomenal players...particularly if you like a stiff playing cue...and these are definitely stiff! These are not made from blanks, but rather, Keith uses a finger-splicing full splice technique. He also uses Radial pins in these cues. Plus, the finish on these cues is pretty heavy duty. I own one of these cues, albeit, a fancier version, and I could not recommend them more, and a great way to get into a custom cue.

There is one here for immediate availability:

http://www.new2youqs.com/cues/josey.html

It is the Indian rosewood one that is mid-page. I can tell you that the rosewood cues from Keith's shop are a pretty rare bird. And it is absolutely in your price range @ $375, new. The shaftwood on these cues is outstanding...and mine is still as straight as the day I got it.

Also, if there is an interest...give Keith a call, as sometimes he has a couple on the rack, as his shop is close to a military base, so he occasionally has some cues on hand.

1.800.514.CUES

I can tell you, these are a lot of cue for the money...and I do not forsee parting with mine, as I am just shooting too darn well with!

Lisa

Last edited:

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I will always play with some type of low deflection shaft. Having said that I would have to recomend a predator sneaky pete. The predator 5k1 and 5k2 are a little bit on the top of your price range but they might strike your fancy more than the sneaky. If not a predator then I would say a schon, joss, mezz, maybe a viking. I was not impressed with the new Mc D's and most of the other production cues are just rubbish.

Eric.A.

ChipD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went through this and I will tell you to look hard at the Predator SP with the metal joint. I think it plays as well as any cue I've owned and can be easily bought in the mid 300's. I just bought one and am very happy with my choice.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
I vote for keeping the McDermott and throwing on a predator 2 shaft. The feel is fantastic and it play's completely different than with the original
McDermott shaft. I threw on a Z shaft on my McD.

Paul.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rack balls said:
I think I will always play with some type of low deflection shaft. Having said that I would have to recomend a predator sneaky pete. The predator 5k1 and 5k2 are a little bit on the top of your price range but they might strike your fancy more than the sneaky. If not a predator then I would say a schon, joss, mezz, maybe a viking. I was not impressed with the new Mc D's and most of the other production cues are just rubbish.

Eric.A.
Today I went to a billiards retail outlet and tried out the Predator demo cue with a 314-1 shaft, as well as the Z-1 shaft. I currently own a Joss cue and try as I might, I just couldn't see a significant performance improvement using the Predator cue and the 314 or Z shaft over my Joss cue.

A week ago I tried out a friend's Predator cue with the 314-1 shaft and was impressed enough with the cue that I thought I might buy one too. I'm baffled why I can't duplicate the experience that I had with my friend's Predator cue using the Predator cue at the billiards retail outlet. :confused:

$moneyshooter$

get hustled
i took every thing into consideration and ordered the predator sneaky pete 4 points,no wrap,wood to wood...i trust your guys advice on how it plays...thanks! :)

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
zcat27 said:
You might want to check into a Dominiak cue. One of the best low price cues on the market. His cues play like cues costing 4 to 5 times the price.
His site is www.dominiakcues.com.

WOW!!! I have never heard or seen these cues. I checked them out and am blown away by the look of them with THAT price. I do not get it. What else can anyone tell me about these. They appear to be an OUTSTANDING value. I am planning on giving a call to them this week to find out more.

As far as playability, what would you compare these to?

zcat27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolpro,
They are definitely the best value for the money. Call Bill. You won't be dissapointed. I have one on order with him now. He has a business selling woods to cuemakers so the woods he has access to are first class. He also has what he calls the Dominator shafts which are the laminated maple shafts like Predators.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would get a Predator,used or new doesnt matter,for around $400 you can get a nice sneaky or a used fancier predator.I think there is an 8 point with wrap on Ebay right now for less $400 and its new.

S

Scottster

You've got one of the best cue makers in the country in your home state.. Jeff Olney.

Look around, you can find an Olney plain jane cue used for the price range you are looking for and it will last a lifetime. Or you can go the production route first, then hit with one of his cues. Maybe then you will appreciate the hit and quality of his cues even more.

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
$moneyshooter$ said:
i took every thing into consideration and ordered the predator sneaky pete 4 points,no wrap,wood to wood...i trust your guys advice on how it plays...thanks! :)

Best bang for the buck hands down. Welcome to the club! :D