Was I wrong for not telling my opponent he's shooting the wrong ball?!?!

fearless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really just need to vent about this. Tonight after league, i'm backing my friend against another league player i'm acquaintances with. My friend is giving him the 6 out in a race to 11 for $100 in 9 ball. I just wanted to see some good playing and apparently the spot was too heavy for my friend and ended up losing 7-11. So, I ask to adjust and maybe try the 7 out or something and the guy doesn't want to and says he'll play me with the 8 in a race to 9 for $100. I agree and am a little upset at this point because I just wanted to see a fair game with good playing but he won't adjust anything. So we start play and I take a 4-1 lead. Then he starts creeping up and I end up getting to the hill first at 8-5. I break, make 3 ball, and have a shot on the one. I make it then miss the 2 ball and he proceeds to his turn.

As he is shooting he makes 2 and continues to shoot the 5 ball and does not see the 4. After he hits the five, I tell him foul, and he goes, "Why?!". I tell him the 4 is on the table and then he starts saying that i'm a piece of shit because I didn't tell him. That if really didn't care about the money I would have told him, and just won't stop. Needless to say, this just pissed me off and I let it get to me and I can't shoot worth a dime anymore. We end up going hill hill and we end up quitting. In my 9 years of playing pool, I have never ever told someone they're shooting the wrong ball unless it's practice or if they are a beginner in a tournament. I would just like people's take on this. I rarely post about things, but this just irked me so bad. Thanks all for listening.

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As all the psychologists will tell you, you know the answer to this question. As a player in the chair, not doing anything is exactly what you are supposed to be doing. Dont let anybody tell you differently either. If somebody wants to tell the guy hes hitting the wrong ball (ie, they dont like their money), fine. But dont let anybody tell you that you are wrong for this. I hate it when other people think everybody should act as stupidly as them.

offaxis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Fearless im just a little APA 4 been playing for 2 years. So take this with a grain of salt. I use to be the nice guy sort off when it came to stuff like this. However, i noticed in my short time of pool, most players will do whatever it takes to win. I never called the frozen ball rule, however after a one particular match my opponent kept enforcing this on me. Hence, since that day, I do that to most. On the few occasions i have shot the wrong ball they wont say anything as well rather it be at bars or pool league play. A while back, due to nerves i guess one of my team mates unscrewed her cue. It was called on her. Ironically almost a year later the person that called on her did the same, and we called forfeit on her. She was pissed as a Hornet. I know some of this sounds trivial and petty to a extent, but this my take on my short tenure at pool. Also me and my friend use to call fouls on each other, if i saw him or he saw me shot the wrong balls we wouldnt say anything then call a foul. It was to make sure we didnt F up while we was playing a game that really counted. My friend had a bad habit(back then) of shooting the wrong balls, especially if he saw a string of ducks.

Last edited:

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say if you're playing in league play, its a gentleman's game and you should tell him. Ultimately you're both there to enjoy a night of good competition. But, gambling is a different thing all together. If he makes the mistake and losses money he'll learn the lesson quickly. However, you let him off the hook by falling for the oldest hustle. You let him make you mad about HIS mistake.

When you lose you your temper several things happen... your heart rate increases, you ability to clearly reason is diminished, your pupils dilate (your vision becomes tunneled) and you lose your dexterity. All of these abilities are imperative to pool. Dealing with this fight or flight nature is a talent important with fighters, police, military, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
I started out gambling at pool. We always played for something even if it was only .25 cents a game. The thinking was your money was just as good as your oponents and it was not your job to tell them which ball to shoot. The second thing was that you don't interfere with someone elses game. In other words, if it was not your game you stayed out of it. I don't play leagues. I'm not into pool where people spend more time arguing then playing.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chinchilla has the best answer. People learn from their mistakes, so let them make them. You are not your opponent's coach.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
life goes on

I really just need to vent about this. Tonight after league, i'm backing my friend against another league player i'm acquaintances with. My friend is giving him the 6 out in a race to 11 for $100 in 9 ball. I just wanted to see some good playing and apparently the spot was too heavy for my friend and ended up losing 7-11. So, I ask to adjust and maybe try the 7 out or something and the guy doesn't want to and says he'll play me with the 8 in a race to 9 for $100. I agree and am a little upset at this point because I just wanted to see a fair game with good playing but he won't adjust anything. So we start play and I take a 4-1 lead. Then he starts creeping up and I end up getting to the hill first at 8-5. I break, make 3 ball, and have a shot on the one. I make it then miss the 2 ball and he proceeds to his turn.

As he is shooting he makes 2 and continues to shoot the 5 ball and does not see the 4. After he hits the five, I tell him foul, and he goes, "Why?!". I tell him the 4 is on the table and then he starts saying that i'm a piece of shit because I didn't tell him. That if really didn't care about the money I would have told him, and just won't stop. Needless to say, this just pissed me off and I let it get to me and I can't shoot worth a dime anymore. We end up going hill hill and we end up quitting. In my 9 years of playing pool, I have never ever told someone they're shooting the wrong ball unless it's practice or if they are a beginner in a tournament. I would just like people's take on this. I rarely post about things, but this just irked me so bad. Thanks all for listening.

You are not obligated to tell them they are going to foul !

Do i tell him?
Yes Most of the time unless i had a bad experience with them.

Remember it's only a game.

Lets keep the sportsmanship & treat each other with respect.

I bet if your a guy playing a beautifull woman with a great personality you wouldn't call the foul LOL

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your only job when gambling is to get the cash. Period!

Stay in your seat and keep your mouth shut.

His fouls are not your fault. Ever.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the situation. During league I would tell someone. Against certain people gambling I would tell them and some other people I would rather light them on fire then put $3 in their pocket so I would never tell them.

If he was down in cash to you, I would have told him but it seems he was up a set so why bother really?

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could have played it off like you didn't notice til he shot... Might have saved him from getting so pissed at you. Doesn't matter though. He should be paying attention.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was gambling with a buddy I would have told him. In your situation I probably would have played dumb and said, "I thought you were just lining up your next shot to see where you wanted to leave the cue ball...oops sorry man."

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friendly practice game with nothing on the line: Tell them, it's a learning experience.

Tournament, money game or league: Don't tell them, it's a learning experience.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on both sides of this several times. The one calling the foul, and the one committing the foul. In all cases, the one committing the foul was the one at fault. He/I also never got mad, just felt a bit annoyed at himself by shooting the wrong ball. But never mad at the non-shooter calling the foul.

Your opponent who got mad sounds like he has issues. When I was in gambling mode a few years ago, I'd have used that to get under his skin, and make him hot and always want to play me. Turn his anger and self issues into his disadvantage on the table agains you.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

IMO It is part of the game just like if they fudge the CB its a foul.
In NO WAY should you have told him He needs to learn to pay attention when the table is his. You wont see a ref telling them and neither should you . Practicing is diff. I was playing a buddy the other night and he broke and ran to the 8b playing 9b. While he was down on the ball his tip barely touched the CB so I said RACK THE BALLS. He didnt argue,he fouled and thats that.

Last edited:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you're asking about it you must feel some twinge of conscious. I have pointed the mistake out to my opponent on various occasions. But, I was not playing for money. You don't win the game if you cheat. If I were playing for money, I hope I would be moral enough to do the same. Of course there is no rule that you have to point out your opponent's error, but I think it would be the right thing to do.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local 8-ball bar team had that happen in the finals,The opposing guy ran out to the 8 shooting all the wrong balls and the guy called the foul on the 8 ball.Short story,the only neutral guy there watchin the match was smashed and went in favor of the other team and it turned ugly with $2000 up for grabs.Now there is a rule in place to tell your opponent he is shooting the wrong balls the first shot,or that will be what he finishes out with and you'll be stuck with whats left.

This rule is completely different in the APA.

As far as the OP, don't sweat it! You were both gambling, and it's not your responsibility to make sure he pays attention.

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
i will tell him hes shooting the wrong ball no matter what thats just me

2 wrongs don.t make a right if u was mad at him for not adjusting thats his right too do so u got mad an dident tell him he was shoooting the wrong ball for not Adjusting the spot so u got back at him an dident tell him about the wrong ball he was shooting no matter what i woulda told him he was shooting the wrong ball

Last edited: