Justin Bergman said he'll play anyone for $10K min.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 9 ball at the top level has always come down to the break. ...
Sounds like a bad thing to me. A luck shot. Or a trick shot. Isn't making shots on purpose more admirable?

BTW, GS, one of the links in your signature is broken. Something about stealing from Fox News.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a bad thing to me. A luck shot. Or a trick shot. Isn't making shots on purpose more admirable?

BTW, GS, one of the links in your signature is broken. Something about stealing from Fox News.

Thanks Bob. The links were to info on the murder of an old friend of mine
Mike Surber who was killed in his home in Mississippi in 2010.
Suspect has never been caught.
People have tried to take the break out of 9 ball, but it has not worked.
These guys are good at overcoming any rack or break rules.
I'm fine with a wood rack and loser racks as I;ve played that way all my life.
I never played tourneys much so its not a problem for. Also, I'm not a run-out
player. At my level, getting out on spreads is good enough to get the cash.
TC

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
The deal here is Justin's backer for this, the owner of Club Billiards wants to get some big action with top players at HIS pool room, and he's willing to put up big cash to make it happen.

Same guy just staked Alex Olinger for 20k over the weekend vs Shane Winters

Club Billiards great old school pool room.

View attachment 516171

Who won? Curioso

And the easy break works the same for both sides...although knowing the table is pretty big.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah that’s what I was wondering, thank you

I just noticed the link. I have to keep up I never saw that

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
The deal here is Justin's backer for this, the owner of Club Billiards wants to get some big action with top players at HIS pool room, and he's willing to put up big cash to make it happen.

Same guy just staked Alex Olinger for 20k over the weekend vs Shane Winters

Club Billiards great old school pool room.

View attachment 516171

This is my home room. I play out of Club Billiards. Tiny owned it for several years. He ran a very good Pool Hall. Recently Tiny passed away. The new owner is doing everything he can to step it up a notch or several notches. He is making a sizable investment and taking substantial risk to do so. I for one am very pleased with the direction he has taken. Hopefully this kind of action will become the norm for our home room as it will inspire interest, excitement and action across the board. For an old pol player such as myself I find that very pleasing indeed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I look at it as he offered a game if someone wants to play then book a trip to Wichita. Everything else is just noise. I hope he gets a taker, I would love to see him and someone battle in a "run out fest". You still have to run the balls to win.

-don

It's kind of like bowling between two champions. You better keep making strikes! Eventually someone flinches.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World 9b is it 1b or 9b on the spot?

Also China open?

Also US open 9b?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was referring to things like : Cleaning a ball during a game, asking for new balls in the middle of a race, etc. No mater what you do about the rack, they will find a way to
defeat a template . These guys are good. 9 ball at the top level has always come down
to the break. Not just the last 2 yrs, but forever. I played in the 60's , 70's 90's 20xx. The best breaker usually won. Nothing has changed except the 'pros' want everything 'perfect. All we wanted was a table, balls, and a player who would gamble.
Today its tough action by appointment only...ohh, and with stake horses !

Like you, I'm an old school guy. We were on the hunt every day just looking for a game and weren't too particular about who, what and where. Just put your stick together and get it on. Let the best man win. I'd walk into a poolroom prepared to play anybody, any game on any table in the house! Most of the time it was 9-Ball back then, One Pocket second most popular (I guess some things never change). Occasionally I played Banks, Eight Ball (almost exclusively on bar tables), and even gambled a few times at Pay Ball on the 10' snooker table, a little Three Cushions and some 14.1 on the East Coast.

Any game was better than no game and we had to adjust to the conditions whatever they were. Table rolls, dead cushions, chipped balls, obstructions, bad cues, all of that. It was all part of the game! My attitude back then was that if I was a better player it would show up no matter what game we were playing. And most of the time I was out there on the lonesome, no one to back me up but myself.

The education I got and the confidence I gained during that time in my life helped me immensely in whatever success I achieved later on.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Adjusting to the conditions didn't include a gaff rack which players can make the same ball and leave close to the same layout 9/10 times.

People broke hard and still managed to string incredible packages together.

Like you, I'm an old school guy. We were on the hunt every day just looking for a game and weren't too particular about who, what and where. Just put your stick together and get it on. Let the best man win. I'd walk into a poolroom prepared to play anybody, any game on any table in the house! Most of the time it was 9-Ball back then, One Pocket second most popular (I guess some things never change). Occasionally I played Banks, Eight Ball (almost exclusively on bar tables), and even gambled a few times at Pay Ball on the 10' snooker table, a little Three Cushions and some 14.1 on the East Coast.

Any game was better than no game and we had to adjust to the conditions whatever they were. Table rolls, dead cushions, chipped balls, obstructions, bad cues, all of that. It was all part of the game! My attitude back then was that if I was a better player it would show up no matter what game we were playing. And most of the time I was out there on the lonesome, no one to back me up but myself.

The education I got and the confidence I gained during that time in my life helped me immensely in whatever success I achieved later on.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's threads like this that make you realize why Ten Ball has become the game of choice for top players. That one extra ball changes everything! The break is no longer automatic and the run outs become a lot more difficult. For me personally, I'd much rather watch the best players compete at this game than 9-Ball. That said, 9-Ball still has it's place and just by moving the nine to the spot the degree of difficulty on the break is increased. No need to change a lot of rules imo as Sir Jewett has suggested. We don't need to make the game any more complicated than it already is. I've watched enough 9-Ball to know that most of the time the best player finds a way to win in a match, be it long or short. Even in short matches (MC for example) the pressure is ramped up and the weaker player will often falter first.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Adjusting to the conditions didn't include a gaff rack which players can make the same ball and leave close to the same layout 9/10 times.

People broke hard and still managed to string incredible packages together.

I will agree on that. I'm against allowing the soft break. Three balls past the head string is a good rule in this case.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have a game brewing now this just in :smile:

Captured.PNG