I'm quitting APA😞..Lost the local APA Championship last night

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night my team lost the local 9ball APA championship. Tied 2-2. Went to the 5th and final match and we lost. I'm NOT upset we lost but because of TWO other factors:
1) Some lower ranked players are not open to learning. They get upset because you called a timeout and things like that. That is not a winning team environment!!
2) Sandbagging. 😤😤 I am a 7 in eight ball and an 8 in 9 ball. Last night I played a guy who I am equal to in terms of skill level. However I am ranked as an 8 he is ranked as a 7 😒. So I had to spot him 10 balls!! 😩 HE DEFINITELY IS AN 8 AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!! 💯 I am not 10 balls better than him nor is he 10 balls better than me. However they have a complete sandbagging team. So it was a 65-55 race.When it was all said and done when he got to his 55 balls I had 58!! 😤😤😤

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!

Last night my team lost the local 9ball APA championship. Tied 2-2. Went to the 5th and final match and we lost. I'm NOT upset we lost but because of TWO other factors:
1) Some lower ranked players are not open to learning. They get upset because you called a timeout and things like that. That is not a winning team environment!!
2) Sandbagging. 😤😤 I am a 7 in eight ball and an 8 in 9 ball. Last night I played a guy who I am equal to in terms of skill level. However I am ranked as an 8 he is ranked as a 7 😒. So I had to spot him 10 balls!! 😩 HE DEFINITELY IS AN 8 AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!! 💯 I am not 10 balls better than him nor is he 10 balls better than me. However they have a complete sandbagging team. So it was a 65-55 race.When it was all said and done when he got to his 55 balls I had 58!! 😤😤😤

Thats how spots work. None of them are perfect. Sometimes you win! Sometimes you lose!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The handicap sounds right if it was that close down to the last balls.

Freddie <~~~ play the game

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
That's why there are different leagues. In house leagues, TAP, BCAPL, Valley, ACS and I'm sure a few more. You probably enjoyed it when you started. And in pool....ya definitely ''can't win em all''. It ain't like boxing. Sounds like your movin' on....that's normal if ya wanna improve.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handicap sounds right if it was that close down to the last balls.

Freddie <~~~ play the game

I have to agree, if it was that close then it seems right.

As for the other stuff, timeouts etc, for some reason this is just the way some players are, and I always have a one or two on a team. I just try to set an example asking my other high-rankers to call timeouts even if it is just to discuss options, or I call them on myself.

You just need to work through the insecurity (which is what it is) and hopefully they come around. I like to even bring them to practice sessions and talk about how to improve their game. Certain people don't get over it and I talk with them and say look this is a team thing, if you aren't interested maybe its not the best fit. However I try not to put blame on someone who is learning, and insinuate they aren't learning fast enough. You need lower ranks on an APA team, and it's best just to try and foster their interest in getting better.

As far as sandbagging, it is rare, but I have seen it. I just try and mark Defenses when I know that is what they are doing.

Sounds to me like you are just stewing, and you should give it some time. However, if you really aren't having fun then maybe its time to take a season off.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF??? You're 1 level above him and he gets a 10 ball spot? How the hell does that work? I've never played APA(looks like i never will either).

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched some kind of league play for about 3 hours once back in the late '70's or early '80's. I've never gotten that close to participating again since then !!!

s.serna

Registered
The handicap seems right if the balls were that close but don't you think if you are highest rated in 8ball shouldn't you be highest rated in 9ball also which is an easier game??? so who is the real sandbagger?

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have played APA for several years. I had a long BCA history so they started me as a SL8 in APA 9ball (SL7 in 8 ball). During 2014's Vegas team competition I was moved up to a SL9 and have no problem with it even though the 65 vs 75 balls has resulted in more losses...it is what it is.
There are several players that I consider my equal (or even better) that haven't ranked up to a SL9 yet; when I play these players I typically have to increase my safety content and take slight less risk at any potential scratch that basically will kill you. Basically, I understand what you are saying...

There were 113 points scored and you lost the match by 7 points (SEVEN POINTS); if you are truly honest with yourself, I bet you can look back at the match and easily find those 7+ points you could have made and/or at least one miss that cost you a 7 point swing (basically only 4 balls he made because you missed, should have played a defensive shot, or scratched).
Sounds like you had a uphill battle but either of you could have won; in a rematch with the same odds what would you do different for that 3 to 4 ball swing?

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could have won ,practice for next time. you only needed 7 more balls or 6 with 9 . was it on a baby 7 ' easy table?
I bet you made some mistakes that could have changed things around so maybe it was you!

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Bca 8ball I did fly the cue off the table TWICE and I did scratch on the break once also!! &#55357;&#56850; So those 3 times may account for my loss!!

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Bca 8ball I did fly the cue off the table TWICE and I did scratch on the break once also!! �� So those 3 times may account for my loss!!

I learned the hard way in leagues. First off, you don't know that persons win/loss record. I will tell you a higher handicap player has a hard time winning. They are either playing against other high handicaps or against the lower ringers that only have to make a fraction of the balls in order to win.

A great player does not necessarily translate to a great league player and vice-versa.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handicap seems right if the balls were that close but don't you think if you are highest rated in 8ball shouldn't you be highest rated in 9ball also which is an easier game??? so who is the real sandbagger?

I am certain you will get mixed opinions about 9 ball being the easier game considering each shot only has a one ball option; you can't work your balls closer to a pocket, and even during a safety you have to hit the same ball your opponent needs to hit.
However, regardless of those opinions...you should consider playing APA prior to providing the criticism on skill levels/sandbagging. Well under half of the Skill Level (SL) 7s in 8 ball have made it to SL9s in 9ball; there is a reason there are two skill level differences between 8 ball (SL7 max) and 9 ball (SL9 max).
Being a 30+ year BCA player, there are times that I dislike the APA format but no handicap system is prefect. That said, something is working, APA is clearly the largest/most popular and profitable league in the US and Canada because they have a system that is designed to allow any SL to compete and lower ranked players are a commodity which promote growth.
On any given league night there are friends, fathers, sons, daughters, spouses, GF, BF on teams filling pool halls contributing to the sport we love.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Bca 8ball I did fly the cue off the table TWICE and I did scratch on the break once also!! �� So those 3 times may account for my loss!!

BINGO... considering the point difference was only 7 (3 1/2 balls for you = 3 1/2 less for him), giving him ball in hand three times (and on the break no less)... it sounds like you had him dead to rights. We can (at times) all pull a shot out of our ass or make a leave that we were only hoping to get; however, IMO, it almost always comes down to the shots we should have made or an error too many that truly changes a win to a loss.

I am not trying to sway your option of quitting as your initial post stated; however, it doesn't sound like the handicap complaint is justification...
Take it out on the next 7 you play or better yet, make a SL9 complain that you are an SL8!!!

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You may be right that you shouldn't be an 8. Even if other parts of your game are 8-speed, you can't give anyone that kind of edge and still be the favorite.

Work on your break! Also, it might make people more receptive to your coaching if you stop hitting them with flying cueballs.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only quit if you really don't find any enjoyment from playing. I enjoy a challenge. I have learned that to get better and push myself. I need to play all types of pool players. Some are going to be low ranked, some high..., some will be under ranked. I like giving someone my best game and if they beat me. They beat me. I rethink my misses. What I could have done differently. But it never dawns on me to quit.

My team is truly a group effort and I enjoy cheering them on and coaching them.

Just don't give up on a league just because of one bad event.

John Disque

Banned
The politics of league - the stupidest thing to ever happen to pool.

Of-course the newbies aren't open to learning & of-course the players are sand-bagging - they're being rewarded for sucking and the great and honest players are punished.

I get insulted when people offer me weight. What am I - a charity-case? If you're a better player than me, I'm going to learn something from you and I don't have to play anyone.

========