Oscar Dominguez buying Hard Times Sacramento!?

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Sweet.

Oscar should also buy the Bellflower location too. He will do a great job of running the room. Happy for him and all the Cali pool players.

Kevin

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rumor has it..... yes.

I also wish he would have purchased HTs Bellflower.

Bring a great room back up to par!!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
HT Bellflower has seen better days, for sure. Rumor is that the lease may be coming due and not being renewed?

Eric

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't it just table time, no food or drinks(alcohol). Probably no smoking too?

Hard for a room to make it on table time.

Maybe no A/C too?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He lives in Southern California last I knew, so I'm a bit surprised he'd buy the Sacramento location- I would have thought the Bellflower location would be more convenient for him

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't it just table time, no food or drinks(alcohol). Probably no smoking too?

Maybe no A/C too?
No, they do have a food operation, which they are looking to improve on as well. The plan is for Oscar to run/manage it, but Ernesto will be helping him at least for the first few months. Ernesto has owned and run poolrooms before, and is all about customer service, keeping the equipment in top condition and keeping the players happy. I hope it works out for them, so Ernesto can slow down a little bit. Re-covering tables for entire poolrooms by yourself I'm guessing is brutally tough physical work - especially once you get up in your 60s!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
He lives in Southern California last I knew, so I'm a bit surprised he'd buy the Sacramento location- I would have thought the Bellflower location would be more convenient for him

He lives in Las Vegas, last I heard.

HT, Bellflower is doomed.
The city is going to demolish that building.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Table time is actually the most profitable "product" in any pool room, because of the very low "cost of goods" (even including rent and amortized table costs). Food, drink and other entertainment are needed to put/keep butts in the "pool seats" - but they're more like "loss leaders" than comparable profit centers.

pj
chgo

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table time is actually the most profitable "product" in any pool room, because of the very low "cost of goods" (even including rent and amortized table costs). Food, drink and other entertainment are needed to put/keep butts in the "pool seats" - but they're more like "loss leaders" than comparable profit centers.

pj
chgo
Disagree, respectfully (unless i misunderstood your post). Many poolrooms offer free table time during the day, or with a meal purchase. That makes table time the loss leader.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Disagree, respectfully (unless i misunderstood your post). Many poolrooms offer free table time during the day, or with a meal purchase. That makes table time the loss leader.
That makes table time the loss leader when they do that, but I think it's backwards. I think they should instead offer free/discounted food/drinks while playing pool.

At the two pool halls I know the finances of, pool is easily the biggest profit center, outpacing all others combined with less than 1/2 of available table hours sold.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
I would tend to disagree for most poolrooms, in which F&B & alcohol sales is far more than pool table rental time. There are exceptions, and it sounds like Hard Times in Sacramento may be one of them, which is likely why Oscar and Ernesto see this as a good investment, although I'm guessing it does not involve purchasing the building or propertyt. Apparently most of their +/- 30 tables are in constant use, so there is likely considerable table rental income, compared to many poolrooms.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

pj
chgo

It's not.
Beer is .

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I wish he'd bought Bellflower as well... maybe he knows
it's not going to survive. SoCal real estate being what it is.
Seems like all the action is up north in Sac and the Bay
Area.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I would tend to disagree for most poolrooms, in which F&B & alcohol sales is far more than pool table rental time.
In the places I'm talking about pool is also a minority of sales (~40%), but still a majority of profits (~60%).

Anyway, apologies for the tangent...

pj
chgo

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess we are spoiled here in Tucson. I play for $8 from 11AM till 6PM.
After that, the rates go up to a few dollars per hour. So, pool time is fairly cheap. Sales of alcohol is how the place pays the employees and utilities. Food sales are not bad either.
If you have good equipment and a low rate, people stick around and drink/eat. That's where the money is.....

My wife and I were in Monterey CA last year and happened across a little pool hall. We walked in and took a couple pics and asked the bar tender how much it was to play? He said it is $12hr before 6PM and $14hr after 6PM. EEEEK!!!! I observed only 2 players in the whole place. There were about 16 empty tables. Just doesn't seem like a good business model to have high rates like that.