Reload this Page Taig CNC Mill & Dayjob shop show and tell
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Air compressor
Old
  (#31)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

Air compressor - 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM

I bought this air compressor after reading some of the reviews. It is the quietest air compressor I've ever heard in my life. I'm super amazed at it!

10 sec video of its noise:
https://youtu.be/fKn80WA1Fc0

Model number info:
California Air Tools 8010
Amazon has it for 170 with free shipping.

*I have no affiliation with the company.

Old
  (#32)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

07-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I bought this air compressor after reading some of the reviews. It is the quietest air compressor I've ever heard in my life. I'm super amazed at it!

Model number info:

I've had one for years.
Love it. And they have great customer service.

Old
  (#33)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2019, 09:01 PM

Here is a part a coworker asked me to make. He flies model airplanes and this goes somewhere on the front of one he just crashed. I only broke one end mill on this one

Name:  top (1).jpg
Views: 327
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  bottom (1).jpg
Views: 326
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1830.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1837.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  82.3 KB

Old
  (#34)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

07-27-2019, 09:03 PM

More pictures.

Name:  IMG_1841.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1844.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1845.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  53.1 KB

Old
  (#35)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-28-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I only broke one end mill on this one
In plastic?
That takes talent!

OK, this is a serious question, i know how to make the part on a lathe and DH.
But keep thinking of sidling towards cnc and know nothing about it.

Did you do all ops on the mill or was a lathe involved as well?

Does head tilt on that mill? IOW, how did you make the chamfer - interpolation or form tool or ?

Willing to say aprox time involved including programming?

Thanks!
smt

Old
  (#36)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

07-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post
In plastic?
That takes talent!

OK, this is a serious question, i know how to make the part on a lathe and DH.
But keep thinking of sidling towards cnc and know nothing about it.

Did you do all ops on the mill or was a lathe involved as well?

Does head tilt on that mill? IOW, how did you make the chamfer - interpolation or form tool or ?

Willing to say aprox time involved including programming?

Thanks!
smt
I crashed into the screw in the middle I thought I would clear it, and was too lazy and tired to go to my CAM computer to check the height. I was off about 30 thou and it slammed into the top of it. Lesson learned.

Everything was on the mill. I used a ball end mill that traced around the bevel and stepped down 3 thou per revolution. When its done, its not perfectly flat, but good enough for what I was making.

This part was very difficult for me. It took me all day, maybe 8 hours total. The learning curve on the CAM is the biggest time sink for me. I spent 1 min on the CAD (I use it every day for my day job for the past 20 years so I'm very proficient at it).

Thinking about how to machine the part with the work holding took me a while. I tried several ways in my head and in the CAM and had to keep re-thinking it. And then the CAM itself I was having issues figuring out some steps because I'm new to it.

The part itself took I think 90 sec to cut the top side of it, and maybe 3 min to cut the bottom side of it. Most of that time was spiraling around the bevel.

I took a video during part of the machining but its hard to make out the details. I will try to post a video of the CAM simulation instead later. Its much clearer to see the details.

I'm certain someone well versed in CAM and CNC could have taken the original CAD, done the CAM in 5 min, and done the machining with setup in 10 min I worked in a real machine shop 20 years ago for 2 years, so I have intermediate manual machining experience. But the CNC and CAM I'm definitely a beginner at.

Each new part I make on the cnc forces me to learn something new on the CAM and cnc side, so its a fun but sometimes frustrating process.

Old
  (#37)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

07-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Here is a 3 min video of the CAM simulation for the above part. I'm brand new at CAM, just a handful of parts programmed on it thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxW2...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#38)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

07-28-2019, 06:20 PM

BTW, the CAM software I'm using is legitimately free for hobbyists and small businesses. IDK if any cuemakers are using it to make cues. I believe it has taken over the hobby world due to its [non] price. It does CAD, CAM, Renders, FEA simulation, etc. I only have used it for CAM because at my dayjob I use ProE for CAD, and I don't really feel like learning another CAD package right now. Its called Fusion 360. Conetip is using it I know There are also tons of tutorials for free from the company itself on youtbue. Its made by AutoDesk.

When I started using ProE in 1998 or so, it was $15,000 per user, and then training books were $1000 each, or you had to pay an instructor for a week of classes. Fast forward to 2018, I just bought the licenses (using my dayjob's money) for myself last year, and it has come down in price to 4000 per user, PER year, on a subscription basis. This Fusion 360 software might eat all the other CAD software for lunch I'm wondering.

Last edited by iusedtoberich; 07-28-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Old
  (#39)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-28-2019, 08:30 PM

FWIW, I for one, am using Fusion360. It is an AutoDesk product. You're right in that it is attractive to the "If it's free, then it's for me" crowd, but it's gaining professional acceptance, as well.
I use it for CAD design of inlays, CAM for tool paths, and then creating the post processor for my inlay machine.
Gary

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Old
  (#40)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-29-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
This part was very difficult for me. It took me all day, maybe 8 hours total. The learning curve on the CAM is the biggest time sink for me. I spent 1 min on the CAD (I use it every day for my day job for the past 20 years so I'm very proficient at it).

Thinking about how to machine the part with the work holding took me a while. I tried several ways in my head and in the CAM and had to keep re-thinking it. And then the CAM itself I was having issues figuring out some steps because I'm new to it.

The part itself took I think 90 sec to cut the top side of it, and maybe 3 min to cut the bottom side of it. Most of that time was spiraling around the bevel.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Your machine time was faster than i could do it on a lathe and mill with dividing head.
But the learning curve is a hard wall for some of us. Like "OK, I can make that part in a hour. But it will take me a week to learn a few rudiments of CAD/CAM. Maybe i'm just too old.

We do have an older Baron mill in the club hangar that was donated, that is slowly becoming operational. I'm sort of hoping to force myself to start learning on that. Their website seems helpful.

It's enjoyable seeing what people can do.

smt

Old
  (#41)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

08-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Name:  IMG_2630.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  55.5 KB
On Friday I was re-arranging the screw drawers in another lab space at the office.

Name:  IMG_2631.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  110.1 KB
I've probably done 10 screw drawers over the years, and I'm really happy with this one thus far.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 7.57.46 PM.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  219.2 KB

Last edited by iusedtoberich; 08-18-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Old
  (#42)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

12-24-2019, 08:11 PM

I'm at the family house in Philly for Xmas, where my original shop still lives. The bearings on my tablesaw went out, and I replaced them today. It was not easy! Now, it runs smoothly again.

I had a hammer and saw in my hand from the time I was about 3 years old. My parents got me this tablesaw when I was about 13 or 14 years old, somewhere around 1994.

Name:  IMG_4399.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  76.6 KB
Pulled this sub-assy out of the saw.

Name:  IMG_4405.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4407.jpg
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4409.jpg
Size:  81.7 KB
Put in the oven to expand all the metal to help pull the bearing.

Name:  IMG_4410.jpg
Size:  121.1 KB
The gear puller couldn't get behind the bearing. I used two screwdrivers to pry it slightly until the gear puller could fit.

Old
  (#43)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

12-24-2019, 08:22 PM

Name:  IMG_4411.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  176.3 KB
Everything apart. This was not easy!

Name:  IMG_4412.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  106.3 KB
Spindle in the freezer to shrink it for reassembly with the new bearings.

Name:  IMG_4413.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  152.7 KB
Reassembled. I put some marks on the flange with the vise that I cleaned up as best I could with an oilstone. I didn't have any other way to hold it.

https://youtu.be/k6KYvbPqzB0
7 sec video of what it sounds like now. Just like when it was new I put higher quality SKF bearings in the saw. I don't want to do this again, ha ha.

Old
  (#44)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

01-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Name:  IMG_4945 (1).jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  47.1 KB

Made this part on the Taig last week. I was shocked how good the tolerances are. Everything is within about .001" to .002".

I first made it on a 3D printer I just got myself for xmas to make sure the design was good (and there were a few changes). Will show more of the 3D printer later. Then I machined it out of ABS to make sure the program was good. Then I made two of them in aluminum, the final material. A PCB gets mounted to it. All the islands sticking up touch hot spots on the PCB, and act as a heatsink.

Time Lapse video of the machining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHG...ature=youtu.be
Video sped super fast, from 2.5 hrs to 5 mins.

Old
  (#45)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-26-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post

Model number info:

Wow, that is quiet Thanks

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Mcues:

https://www.facebook.com/Mcues-11355...dmin_todo_tour

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: