New Cue - Maybe?

blehnhard

Registered
Getting the itch to maybe try something new. Realize that its most often the Indian and not the Arrow.

Budget - up to roughly $600

Current - McDermott G229 - G Core - 19 oz - 12.50 mm - ultra skin soft tip - had for a little over 4 years.

Background - play twice a week in private home setting at neighbors house. approx. 2.5 hours per session - straight pool, 8 ball, & 9 ball. Neighbor is a little better than me, but I can beat him when I am on top of my game. Would classify myself as a B- or C+ player.

Learned to play when in HS. Worked at pool hall in exchange for table time. Learned a lot from "old timers" there. Played very little (only casual maybe once or twice a year) for a great number of years. Started playing again 4 yrs ago (now 77) when hip problems kept from playing golf for about 8 months.

Retired Professional Golfer (Sr. PGA Tour - Champions Tour) - played for 6 years in mid 1990's. Club Pro for almost 30 years prior to that. As such, used to "high end" equipment.

Considering Lucasi, Joss, Mezz.

Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated. Realize all opinions offered are kind of subjective.

Thanks, Bruce

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting the itch to maybe try something new. Realize that its most often the Indian and not the Arrow.

Budget - up to roughly $600

Current - McDermott G229 - G Core - 19 oz - 12.50 mm - ultra skin soft tip - had for a little over 4 years.

Background - play twice a week in private home setting at neighbors house. approx. 2.5 hours per session - straight pool, 8 ball, & 9 ball. Neighbor is a little better than me, but I can beat him when I am on top of my game. Would classify myself as a B- or C+ player.

Learned to play when in HS. Worked at pool hall in exchange for table time. Learned a lot from "old timers" there. Played very little (only casual maybe once or twice a year) for a great number of years. Started playing again 4 yrs ago (now 77) when hip problems kept from playing golf for about 8 months.

Retired Professional Golfer (Sr. PGA Tour - Champions Tour) - played for 6 years in mid 1990's. Club Pro for almost 30 years prior to that. As such, used to "high end" equipment.

Considering Lucasi, Joss, Mezz.

Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated. Realize all opinions offered are kind of subjective.

Thanks, Bruce

Mezz "Sneaky." They play as well,as anything you will put in your hands, IMO. :cool:

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned a couple of Lucasi cues about 10-15 years ago. Perhaps they have changed a lot, but I wouldn't consider them 'high end' equipment at all. They didn't play very well IMO. I think Joss or Mezz are higher end production cues for sure. I'd also take a look at Schon and if you're not worried about resale value, Pechauer makes a great production cue as well. Not sure why they don't resell good, they are made well and play great.

Like you said, hit is subjective, if you can try before you buy that is always good too.

Best of luck!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
To the guy who started with post #1, you are right, Indian, not Arrow.

If the other was true money could make you a Champion of the World by buying the most expensice Cue.

blehnhard

Registered
Thanks for the replies. Decided on a Mezz. EC 7 WMP WX700 shaft 12.5 with Kamui Original Soft. Arrives on Thursday. Hopefully will have a game on Friday. Playing tomorrow also.