Changing the threads of a shaft

sourhed87

Registered
I am curious about how much it would typically cost to change the threads of a shaft from like a uni-loc to a 5/16x14 thread or a 3/8x10 to 5/16x14?

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Brass Bushing

I am curious about how much it would typically cost to change the threads of a shaft from like a uni-loc to a 5/16x14 thread or a 3/8x10 to 5/16x14?

Does the shaft have a brass bushing in it? If so then your shaft will prolly have to be inserted with a dowel, a piece of phenolic, or another brass bushing and retapped.

Also you should find Doug Patrick on here as I heard he is in your area and I think that he will do a good job for you. I would love to do it for you but I don't know how expensive of a cue you have as I am not as experienced as Doug and I know Doug is closer.

Last edited:

sourhed87

Registered
Thanks, for the suggestion. I am thinking about buying a second shaft for my predator and I would like a first gen predator, but can not find a 5/16x14 threaded one. So just trying to see how much it would be to change the threads to match my cue.

Does the shaft have a brass bushing in it? If so then your shaft will prolly have to be inserted with a dowel, a piece of phenolic, or another brass bushing and retapped.

Also you should find Doug Patrick on here as I heard he is in your area and I think that he will do a good job for you. I would love to do it for you but I don't know how expensive of a cue you have as I am not as experienced as Doug and I know Doug is closer.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
The uni-loc does have a brass insert and the 3/8x10 is wood threaded.

The reason I asked about the brass bushing is usually they are a 7/16 thread so it is not as easy as just removing it and retapping it for the 3/8. Also I think that if you just retapped the bushing to 3/8 you would get into the minor of the 7/16 thread and turn it into a helicoil and what was left would eventually come out. Your original shaft would either have to have a custom bushing put in it or a dowel if you wanted to keep it wood threads.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to confirm Big Al's technique, in almost all cases the shaft will need to be bored and a dowel inserted. Then the shaft is redrilled/bored to the correct dimension, depending on the pin thread, and tapped or live threaded.

Material selection for the dowel can vary - maple, purple heart, phenolic are common.

My 2 Cents,

Gary

FWIW, the same basic technique is used in the butt to change out the pin

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can reach Doug via pm here, or thru Shooter's in Olathe - where his shop is. He does table work, too, so sometimes he's out of town. Helluva nice guy, and does fine work. Makes super cues.
KJ, an AZ member, (thru Seybert's) is a recognized go to guy for all things Predator shaft.
Ryan Theewen, ratcues, via Mueller's, is another I highly recommend - capable of any repairs.

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rethread

the quick-release can be retapped to 5/16 x 14 easily to where it will fit both 5/16x14 and quick release as long as you leave the pilot.going to 3/8x10 requires reinserting the shaft,if you would like me to do this ,pm me.
tomreed custom cues.

sourhed87

Registered
So you are saying it would be better to buy a uni-loc shaft and get the threads re-tapered?
the quick-release can be retapped to 5/16 x 14 easily to where it will fit both 5/16x14 and quick release as long as you leave the pilot.going to 3/8x10 requires reinserting the shaft,if you would like me to do this ,pm me.
tomreed custom cues.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a 3/8-10 wood shaft converted to a 5/16-14 piloted, cue guy said it was easy and charged me $30.

RBC

Deceased

If you're going from a UniLoc to a 5/16-14, there's a good chance to remove the original insert, leaving the threads intact, and installing the new insert in it's place. Takes about 5 minutes. But, if the original insert doesn't come out clean, then it will need to be plugged and re-threaded before the new insert can be installed. Either way, it's a pretty easy job for any competent cue smith.

One thing to consider is the diameter of the joint size on both the new shaft and the butt. Depending on what the new shaft was originally made for it may not be the right diameter to fit your cue properly.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
If you're going from a UniLoc to a 5/16-14, there's a good chance to remove the original insert, leaving the threads intact, and installing the new insert in it's place. Takes about 5 minutes. But, if the original insert doesn't come out clean, then it will need to be plugged and re-threaded before the new insert can be installed. Either way, it's a pretty easy job for any competent cue smith.

One thing to consider is the diameter of the joint size on both the new shaft and the butt. Depending on what the new shaft was originally made for it may not be the right diameter to fit your cue properly.

Anothe thing would be any ring work getting it to time out right and line up when you screw the new shaft on. If it is just simple collars with no billets then I wouldn't worry.

sourhed87

Registered
Thanks everyone who has replied to this thread. You guys are awesome, very helpful the hunt is on for a 5/16x14 black collar 314 shaft.