Dale Perry eBay??

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
What is up with Dale Perry cues for sale on eBay for $99 while it list a retail price of $1799.00??? $100 cue is a $100 cue, right? So what am I missing? Just simply marketing ploy or scam? Obviously you can't sell a 1799$ cue for $99 and make money.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Do a search for Dale Perry Cues here on AZ. It should explain it pretty well.

Larry

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Do a search for Dale Perry Cues here on AZ. It should explain it pretty well.

Larry

Dammit, I am new and always forget to search! Didn't mean to bring up an old subject, I just look at eBay a lot and was curious. Thanks and I will right now.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$99 value....and that is too much. That's it. The rest is sales manure.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Dale Perry cues

What is up with Dale Perry cues for sale on eBay for $99 while it list a retail price of $1799.00??? $100 cue is a $100 cue, right? So what am I missing? Just simply marketing ploy or scam? Obviously you can't sell a 1799$ cue for $99 and make money.

I had someone tell me whom I respect very much said Dale was one hell of a cue maker.

I have worked on some newer Dale Perry cues and I was raised if you don't have good to say don't say anything at all.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

As I understand it the Berlitz version is this: His cues used to go for more and he decided to start selling on Ebay. The prices tanked and those that had previously paid a lot more were screwed. It seems he screwed himself as well, at least as far as price goes. Whether he has increased the volume to make up for it, I don't know.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I'm Wondering?

Dammit, I am new and always forget to search! Didn't mean to bring up an old subject, I just look at eBay a lot and was curious. Thanks and I will right now.

"I was ..... Curious?" Justin that you.....again. J/k, I couldn't help it.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Dp

As I understand it the Berlitz version is this: His cues used to go for more and he decided to start selling on Ebay. The prices tanked and those that had previously paid a lot more were screwed. It seems he screwed himself as well, at least as far as price goes. Whether he has increased the volume to make up for it, I don't know.

I look at the pictures of the DP cues in my cue blue book 3rd edition that are his higher priced cues they look like nice cues .
The 2 DP' s I have gotten in for repairs were not high end cues ....
The owner of one cue said he paid 1500.00 .
I was shocked,...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a DP custom from 2000. It is an execellent cue. Ran $950 with 2 shafts. Beautifully made. Plays like a champ. I have 3 DP eBay cues. 2 are ok the 3rd is junk. The rings are protruding and chipped... And I take care of my cues. The eBay cues are not made very well. They are not custom.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say from my own experience in buying A DP cue on EBay 3 years ago is that I have owned custom cues from several top makers and this DP that I bought for $129 is now one of two "go to" cues for any money game that I play. I have had no issues with its construction, it plays extremely well, has been positively commented on by unsolicited players in pool rooms where I have played in tournaments, and others who have tried my cue really like it- that is my experience with a DP e bay purchase for what its worth.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not own one of his cues, never have, and have never personally examined one. So...I am as ignorant in the matter as most people. These are just my thoughts.

The reviews are always mixed. Clearly he created a lot of controversy when he changed his business model. Clearly he adversely altered the value of his older cues and that ticked people off. But I think moving to Ebay ticked off the cue dealers even more.

I think it's clear from reports that the quality is now inconsistent.

Whether or not the cues are "custom" is a debate. That term is often debatable. Many Gina cues were catalog cues and nobody questions that they are "custom". I often use Gina as an examples in discussion on this matter.

At the moment it seems all Perry produces are 1/1 cues, never repeating a design. Does that mean "custom"? That is open to inter[retation I think. Granted in some cases the differences might be slight and he does repeat many CNC design elements.

As far as I know, Perry will still custom build a cue to order.

As far as I know his cues are still produced by himself and an assistant.

I have a friend who is curious, a long time player who is just getting interested in cues. He asked, and I filled him in on the history. Since we are in the area we plan to visit Dale Perry at his shop. When we do, I will post what I find. I have been planning to do this for several years and have not gotten around to it. Having a friend that is curious gives me new motivation.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whether or not the cues are "custom" is a debate. That term is often debatable. Many Gina cues were catalog cues and nobody questions that they are "custom". I often use Gina as an examples in discussion on this matter.

Your point is valid however ....Let's clarify DP eBay cues. Not custom.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your point is valid however ....Let's clarify DP eBay cues. Not custom.

Definitely not custom built. I absolutely agree.

1of 1? Sure, for whatever that is worth. There are those who consider that enough for the "custom" label. I do not formally, but even I sometimes casually toss the term around for lack of a better term.

"Limited" might be a better term, as in limited to 1/1. I dunno. I think most of us know what they are regardless of the term applied.

I have a mild curiosity about him and his cues. I was never caught up in the matter so it's just a passing curiosity. I was not a big fan of his designs even before he went to Ebay. They just didn't turn my crank. I like "old school" looks.

Now that I have a friend that is new to cues (long time player that used a Meucci for many years and was just happy with that) I have some motivation to go see what's up at the DP shop.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one off eBay a couple years ago and called Dale before I actually purchased it.

Some people don't like him for whatever reason, but he was exceptionally friendly to me and even gave me some advice about an old Titlist I was going to convert. As far as customer service, he gave me way more service than a lot of businesses do.

The cue I bought cost me $140, including shipping, and I think it was made just as well as any other cue that you could get in the price range and it didn't have any flaws that I noticed.

It had a really nice design...it was simple....black and rosewood...without a lot of gaudy stuff like a lot of cues have. The linen wrap was exceptionally nice. I have a lot of cues that cost more that don't have a wrap as nicely done as this one did.

The shaft and taper wasn't exactly my style, but when I called him he was willing to swap out my shaft for another one of any taper I wanted. I declined the offer because I didn't want to pay shipping and I was planning just to use the cue to test out a bit while my other playing cue was being refinished.

I seldom played with it when my Titlist was built, so I kept it in my case and only used it occasionally.

When I decided to get rid of a couple cues to thin out my herd, I sold it a couple months ago.

I got my original $140 back out of it and the new owner is pleased with it. I must say that it never warped and I keep my cues in mint condition.

That is the only DP cue I've ever owned, so I can't say anything bad about him or his cues.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DP eBay cues

I have owned three different DP eBay cues at different times. All three butts were well-constructed, used nice looking, figured woods, and I liked the way they played. On one, the joint collar came unglued and you could pull it off the cue if you tugged on it. Not a big deal though.

The shafts however felt unfinished and rough to the touch IMO. One of the shafts I had warped like a banana. I don't know if it was a bad shaft or what but the quality of the shaft for me is the weak spot in an otherwise good deal on a pretty nice cue.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I look at the pictures of the DP cues in my cue blue book 3rd edition that are his higher priced cues they look like nice cues .
The 2 DP' s I have gotten in for repairs were not high end cues ....
The owner of one cue said he paid 1500.00 .
I was shocked,...

Yeah, you would be in a better position than me to tell if there is much difference in the actual construction or craftsmanship of his more expensive cues. I was just making the point that generally while people will spend $10K+ with a guy whose low end is $2K, they won't pay $2K+ on a cue from a guy who also makes $100 cues.

I bought a DP here to use as my league banger. Paid about $130 for it and am quite satisfied with it.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not own one of his cues, never have, and have never personally examined one. So...I am as ignorant in the matter as most people. These are just my thoughts.

The reviews are always mixed. Clearly he created a lot of controversy when he changed his business model. Clearly he adversely altered the value of his older cues and that ticked people off. But I think moving to Ebay ticked off the cue dealers even more.

I think it's clear from reports that the quality is now inconsistent.

At the moment it seems all Perry produces are 1/1 cues, never repeating a design. Does that mean "custom"? That is open to inter[retation I think. Granted in some cases the differences might be slight and he does repeat many CNC design elements.

As far as I know, Perry will still custom build a cue to order.

As far as I know his cues are still produced by himself and an assistant.

I have a friend who is curious, a long time player who is just getting interested in cues. He asked, and I filled him in on the history. Since we are in the area we plan to visit Dale Perry at his shop. When we do, I will post what I find. I have been planning to do this for several years and have not gotten around to it. Having a friend that is curious gives me new motivation.

I remember about 13-14 years ago he lowered the prices and screwed the people that bought at custom prices Those went down in value and his prices kept dropping and people were pissed LOL

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1of 1? Sure, for whatever that is worth.

Worthless. This pen is 1 of 1...anybody interested.... lists for $5000...on sale for $75. I promise never to make another one. By the way. DP is your best friend until you need customer service.

Attachments

• il_570xN.784324402_rvz3.jpg
    il_570xN.784324402_rvz3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 368