Pitted Ferrule

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to clean a friends 314 shaft and as I removed the chalk dust from the ferrule using some alcohol, I noticed all these pits in the ferrule with black in them. Any idea on what happened or what should be done to fix this?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 310

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Once you rub crap into LBM, it's in there. You can try bleach, but I wouldn't do that with a tip installed. I saw a guy clean his up once with a bleach gel. Left it on there for a few hours, smelled awful.

Typically, though, this is permanent without cutting the ferrule down.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The ferrule on a BK3 break shaft that I have looks exactly like that. I've tried everything to clean it w/o success. I don't want to turn it down and I know bleach will weaken certain plastics. I just leave it as it is. I have another BK3 shaft that looks brand new and both shafts are the same age and have been treated the same.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an "experimenter" and live with the results...good or bad. :) :)

I would try some hydrogen peroxide on it.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ideologist banned

Just noticed ideologist is banned! What happened? Sorry for taking away from the thread.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you got dirt in the pores it`s allmost impossible to get out, denatured alcohol and compressed air might get some of the crud out.
If you get it to a point where you are happy with the result, seal the ferrule with cyano, sand and polish.