Jimmy Fusco vs Allen Hopkins.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Jimmy has a few years on Allen, Jimmy mid 70s, Hopkins 60s?

Two great 1 pocket players here, I would assume somewhere along the line these two great players had to match up playing 1 pocket?

Does anyone know if they ever did match up.

If the match did happen, I would of bet on Fusco, but only if it was played in philly!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hopkins would bet he could run all 15 balls in one pocket with 4 tries.

Jimmy was a great player, just not quite to Allen's caliber. Hopkins would bet he could run all 15 balls in one pocket with 4 tries......that's pretty strong medicine. Still to this recent time he can run 100-200 balls in straight pool any given day.

Probably the only one that could have beaten "Hoppy" consistently was Efren, and he really didn't want to go through what it would take to win....and have to earn EVERY ball.

I know that Jimmy has a few years on Allen, Jimmy mid 70s, Hopkins 60s?

Two great 1 pocket players here, I would assume somewhere along the line these two great players had to match up playing 1 pocket?

Does anyone know if they ever did match up.

If the match did happen, I would of bet on Fusco, but only if it was played in philly!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure they played at least twice in Nov/Dec, 1990. The program for the Shoot-Out at West End Billiards is still available. I am not selling the program, but I attended the Shoot-Out. Many of the matches were video taped, but I haven't seen any for sale. There were some great match-ups.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320418

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy was a great player, just not quite to Allen's caliber. Hopkins would bet he could run all 15 balls in one pocket with 4 tries......that's pretty strong medicine. Still to this recent time he can run 100-200 balls in straight pool any given day.

Probably the only one that could have beaten "Hoppy" consistently was Efren, and he really didn't want to go through what it would take to win....and have to earn EVERY ball.

I interviewed Allen Hopkins for a magazine years ago, and he said he robbed Efren for a long time while Efren was learning the game.

I know that Freddy also spoke about him teaching Efren the game, so I don't know which came first.

But I got the feeling this was before going to Chicago.

I interviewed a lot of players, and many of them had played Allen. Again, if my memory is right, they were always talking about playing him in One-Pocket. I think Allen Hopkins was a top 14.1 player, and being that he was from the East Coast, he probably played it more than the rest of the top players from elsewhere in the country, where is was played less often.

Ken

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

I second this^^^

Just to add to your post, I recently played Allen (recently as in, just a few months ago - not long) when I was fortunately enough to get to play him some one pocket at his house. Just to help frame the story a little bit, we had just finish about 27 holes of golf where I took somewhat of a beating. When we were in the club house, I told Allen that my one pocket game was a LOT better than the last time we played (that story was embarrassing, but that's another thread). I continued to tell him that I'm sending multiple balls to my pocket on single shots at times and I'm setting up million-man-marches in front of my hole fairly quick now...unlike before.

He took a slow sip of his beer and said something like, "You wanna play some uno pockeeto brothaaaaah?"

Well, of course, I did and I kept my pool cue in the trunk JUST in case something might happen pool-wise.

I forget exactly what happened, but he shot out of my break somehow, with some bullsh1t god-shot that I probably would consider a flier, but he smoothed it in and ticked into the rack about 5-times to loosen up one or two balls at a time and continued to run 8-and-out.

I told him to "keep going" because he looked like he was playing one-pocket straight pool and I literally couldn't believe my eyes. When it was over, he ran all 15 into his pocket during the first game, after being golfed-up and beered-up all day.

I literally couldn't believe it and told him that was quite impressive for a geriatric pool player who prob qualifies for the $2 Denny's lunches on the senior menu. I think I even told him he's lucky he can walk, let alone golf and play pool.

He said something like, "I'm feeling pretty loosey-goosey" as he threw some balls on the table and rifled them in.

Shit, I was drinking-up his wine (which was also loosey-goosey smooth) so I told him I wanted to see if he could do it again. I racked up the balls and made sure they were tight and all and told him to break it like DCC 1-hole challenge (basically, outside instead of inside english). He did and knocked a few balls out, leaving about 11/12 balls still mucked, while getting on top.

Well, he did and continued to run all 15 balls in his hole....again. It was the sickest display of one pocket I had EVER seen. He ran 30 balls in one hole, basically from two full-rack mucks, in one try, cold, after playing golf all day.

Of course, on the way home, I called up everyone I knew to tell them the story since I was FLUSTERED. I literally thought I had seen a UFO, I was that rattled.

I want to add that his home table is a 9' Diamond and plays really tough, definitely not a Gandy or wide-open 8'er or something.

That said, I really, really, really respect Jimmy's game -- he's a champion at every game. I would still take Hopkins over Fusco at any game, whether they played in 1977 or today.

I think a LOT of people WAY under-rate Allen's game because of the appearance of his stroke. His stroke is devastating in every game and he's THE MOST intelligent pool player I've ever met/played.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I doubt if Efren would have wanted to play him day in, day out

Yeah, Allen was certainly the "real deal" and I doubt if Efren would have wanted to play him day in, day out - I received advice from him on more than one occasion, as a matter of fact the break I used to run 29 Balls in One Pocket was shown to me by Allen.....without a doubt he could do this every day if he wanted to.

29 Balls Balls Consecutively in ONE POCKET <-----click link

I second this^^^

Just to add to your post, I recently played Allen (recently as in, just a few months ago - not long) when I was fortunately enough to get to play him some one pocket at his house. Just to help frame the story a little bit, we had just finish about 27 holes of golf where I took somewhat of a beating. When we were in the club house, I told Allen that my one pocket game was a LOT better than the last time we played (that story was embarrassing, but that's another thread). I continued to tell him that I'm sending multiple balls to my pocket on single shots at times and I'm setting up million-man-marches in front of my hole fairly quick now...unlike before.

He took a slow sip of his beer and said something like, "You wanna play some uno pockeeto brothaaaaah?"

Well, of course, I did and I kept my pool cue in the trunk JUST in case something might happen pool-wise.

I forget exactly what happened, but he shot out of my break somehow, with some bullsh1t god-shot that I probably would consider a flier, but he smoothed it in and ticked into the rack about 5-times to loosen up one or two balls at a time and continued to run 8-and-out.

I told him to "keep going" because he looked like he was playing one-pocket straight pool and I literally couldn't believe my eyes. When it was over, he ran all 15 into his pocket during the first game, after being golfed-up and beered-up all day.

I literally couldn't believe it and told him that was quite impressive for a geriatric pool player who prob qualifies for the $2 Denny's lunches on the senior menu. I think I even told him he's lucky he can walk, let alone golf and play pool.

He said something like, "I'm feeling pretty loosey-goosey" as he threw some balls on the table and rifled them in.

Shit, I was drinking-up his wine (which was also loosey-goosey smooth) so I told him I wanted to see if he could do it again. I racked up the balls and made sure they were tight and all and told him to break it like DCC 1-hole challenge (basically, outside instead of inside english). He did and knocked a few balls out, leaving about 11/12 balls still mucked, while getting on top.

Well, he did and continued to run all 15 balls in his hole....again. It was the sickest display of one pocket I had EVER seen. He ran 30 balls in one hole, basically from two full-rack mucks, in one try, cold, after playing golf all day.

Of course, on the way home, I called up everyone I knew to tell them the story since I was FLUSTERED. I literally thought I had seen a UFO, I was that rattled.

I want to add that his home table is a 9' Diamond and plays really tough, definitely not a Gandy or wide-open 8'er or something.

That said, I really, really, really respect Jimmy's game -- he's a champion at every game. I would still take Hopkins over Fusco at any game, whether they played in 1977 or today.

I think a LOT of people WAY under-rate Allen's game because of the appearance of his stroke. His stroke is devastating in every game and he's THE MOST intelligent pool player I've ever met/played.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I would have guessed they matched up at one of the Legends events back in the early nineties, but can't recall any videotaped matches of them playing.

Both phenomenal players,but AH was the king for awhile and played top 9 and 10 ball as well. Better 14.1 player of course.

That said, Fusco won the nine ball event in Reno beating Davenport in a hill-hill match that really showed some guts. 1993, Accu-stats still sells it.

They are both old school legends to me, no doubt about it.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked Allen Hopkins one pocket game up to around 1985 or so. He could run up to about 40 balls in the one pocket challenge in 5 innings. As we know today that number is being surpassed by 20 balls. When Efren came to the USA and began to learn how to play one pocket, the whole game changed. Now we see players who know the game and bank great and never miss running out from extreme conditions. Allen was not a good banker under pressure. If things were equal, Allen would need at least one ball from Efren's best game to Allen's best game. Also, I don't think Allen could beat Bugs or Artie Bodendorfer in one pocket in the late 70's or early 80's. In todays game power is the key to winning. We see that all the time from Alex, Dennis, Shane, Scott and a host of others. Allen just never had that game.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
In todays game power is the key to winning. We see that all the time from Alex, Dennis, Shane, Scott and a host of others. Allen just never had that game.

Is that because they couldn't really play the power style on tables with the old, slow cloth?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he would take 4 tries to make all 15 balls in one pocket and win

Ask Greg Sullivan how much "fire power" Allen has in his one pocket game. I watched them play one time at the US OPEN and couldn't believe the shots that Allen was making time after time after time after time.

Don't anyone kid yourselves, Allen Hopkins is from another planet when it comes to one pocket.....he would take 4 tries to make all 15 balls in one pocket and win....can Efren do that? Probably, however, I doubt if Efren could have beaten Allen's best straight pool game.

Is that because they couldn't really play the power style on tables with the old, slow cloth?

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Legal Hemp...Really

Ask Greg Sullivan how much "fire power" Allen has in his one pocket game. I watched them play one time at the US OPEN and couldn't believe the shots that Allen was making time after time after time after time.

Don't anyone kid yourselves, Allen Hopkins is from another planet when it comes to one pocket.....he would take 4 tries to make all 15 balls in one pocket and win....can Efren do that? Probably, however, I doubt if Efren could have beaten Allen's best straight pool game.

Is AZ now allowing free advertising on your threads For companies you are affiliated with? When you go to the website it says sponsored by CJ Wiley...are you that hard up for attention and/or cash!

Really

Last edited:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
This Thread

Yeah, Allen was certainly the "real deal" and I doubt if Efren would have wanted to play him day in, day out - I received advice from him on more than one occasion, as a matter of fact the break I used to run 29 Balls in One Pocket was shown to me by Allen.....without a doubt he could do this every day if he wanted to.

29 Balls Balls Consecutively in ONE POCKET <-----click link

Was about Fusco and Hopkins not about you posting a link to your 29 ball run to satisfy your insecurity/ego!

Wedge

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen both Jimmy fusco and Allen Hopkins play many times in person and I can tell you this Allen is a notch above Jimmy in 9 ball and straight pool.
I never saw Jimmy play one pocket so I can't comment on that.
One night at the room i watched Neptune Joe Frady play one pocket and was very impressed.A night or two later I watched Allen play one pocket and thought this is another level up from Joe
And if you don't know anything about Neptune Joe let me say this.He played straight pool with Mizerack in his prime even and it was always a battle.Allen would play him 9 ball and give him one game on the wire to 11.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Both great players who had skills in all games. Allen was definitely the better of the two in Straight Pool and I'm sure Jimmy would admit that. Allen was right there with Mizerak and Sigel in that regard. At One Pocket Allen was also the favorite, but maybe only 9-8 over Jimmy. I doubt he could give him 8-7. At Banks and last pocket 9-Ball, Jimmy gets the nod, all day and all night. Jimmy banked with Sigel and Varner and may have been the best of the three. He was a top five Bank Pool player for sure. Playing even up 9-Ball, Allen may have given Jimmy the last two. I can't see him giving Jimmy a ball. Maybe (like Joe Frady) Jimmy would get one on the wire going to eleven. That's about it for me, and I saw them both at their peaks!

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both great players who had skills in all games. Allen was definitely the better of the two in Straight Pool and I'm sure Jimmy would admit that. Allen was right there with Mizerak and Sigel in that regard. At One Pocket Allen was also the favorite, but maybe only 9-8 over Jimmy. I doubt he could give him 8-7. At Banks and last pocket 9-Ball, Jimmy gets the nod, all day and all night. Jimmy banked with Sigel and Varner and may have been the best of the three. He was a top five Bank Pool player for sure. Playing even up 9-Ball, Allen many have given Jimmy the last two. I can't see him giving Jimmy a ball. Maybe (like Joe Frady) Jimmy would get one on the wire going to eleven. That's about it for me, and I saw them both at their peaks!

Well I got my answer, Thanks Jay!

This makes T.Vanovers game even stronger, He beat Jimmy the 2 times they played even 9 ball here in Baltimore. And that was for thousands a set, high bet back then!

They played back pocket 9 ball once at bill n billies in glen burnie, Jimmy won that match easily!

First Tom played Pety a few times in 9 ball and beat him each time, then the next time they brought Jimmy down with them and Tom beat him also!

This was in the 80s.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I liked Allen Hopkins one pocket game up to around 1985 or so. He could run up to about 40 balls in the one pocket challenge in 5 innings. As we know today that number is being surpassed by 20 balls. When Efren came to the USA and began to learn how to play one pocket, the whole game changed. Now we see players who know the game and bank great and never miss running out from extreme conditions. Allen was not a good banker under pressure. If things were equal, Allen would need at least one ball from Efren's best game to Allen's best game. Also, I don't think Allen could beat Bugs or Artie Bodendorfer in one pocket in the late 70's or early 80's. In todays game power is the key to winning. We see that all the time from Alex, Dennis, Shane, Scott and a host of others. Allen just never had that game.

1985? He recently ran 30 in one pocket in 2 innings and that's only because there wasn't a BREAK BALL to get on, so he was forced to re-break--- otherwise, it would have been ONE inning, believe it.

As far as Allen not being a great banker under pressure, he ran 10-out, 10-out and 10-out (three 10-and-outs in a row) for $10k/game against Jew Paul on a SNOOKER table, so I'm sure he banks OK under pressure, don't worry about it.

As far as Allen not having a "power game" -- he never needed it. He was always about 2 feet from his work on every single shot and could pick apart a rack better than anyone on your list. He always preferred to never lose control by letting the CB go - every time he hit the rack, he knew where everything was going to end-up ahead of time. Power doesn't equate to ability.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1985? He recently ran 30 in one pocket in 2 innings and that's only because there wasn't a BREAK BALL to get on, so he was forced to re-break--- otherwise, it would have been ONE inning, believe it.

As far as Allen not being a great banker under pressure, he ran 10-out, 10-out and 10-out (three 10-and-outs in a row) for $10k/game against Jew Paul on a SNOOKER table, so I'm sure he banks OK under pressure, don't worry about it.

As far as Allen not having a "power game" -- he never needed it. He was always about 2 feet from his work on every single shot and could pick apart a rack better than anyone on your list. He always preferred to never lose control by letting the CB go - every time he hit the rack, he knew where everything was going to end-up ahead of time. Power doesn't equate to ability.

Great post!