Mark Griffin called today

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Invited me to come to Vegas,he bought a pool room in Las Vegas on Decatur

i forgot the name,but it is nice enough to take your wife,clean including the rest rooms.features a 12 foot Golf Table,a nice menu and
shouting profanities will get you removed

this will probably be the best room in Vegas,Mark is an A number 1 Guy,since he is part owner of Diamond pool tables you know what to expect

If I were still playing I would like to see his place,it promises to be a great place for action.He encourages action but won't put up with nonsense.

Best wishes to Mark
I am glad to see his new lungs are making him healthy

dean

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

i forgot the name,but it is nice enough to take your wife,clean including the rest rooms.features a 12 foot Golf Table,a nice menu and

this will probably be the best room in Vegas,Mark is an A number 1 Guy,since he is part owner of Diamond pool tables you know what to expect

If I were still playing I would like to see his place,it promises to be a great place for action.He encourages action but won't put up with nonsense.

Best wishes to Mark

dean

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the info.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Good luck with the new room. I know it will be first class like you are. Johnnyt

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best wishes to Mark

dean

Did he happen to mention if they will have any carom tables?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen those tables that were in pool sharks could use some love. Diamond in the pit is about the only one that played good.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love reading this thread. Bravo to Mark Griffin for keeping pool alive in Vegas. This will be one cool pool room for sure! :cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mark talked about this a bit while commentating at the US Open events a few weeks ago. He basically gutted the old place. The new one, still under construction, will be quite high class. It will have both 7-footers and 9-footers, but I forget how many of each and whether it will have any carom tables.

It may well be the site of future US Open 0ne-Pocket events (whereas he may keep the US Open 14.1 on the east coast).

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen those tables that were in pool sharks could use some love. Diamond in the pit is about the only one that played good.

Those tables have all been sold, I know a few people who bought one.

If it is going to be a nice clean modern facility they are going to have to do a lot of work -- really needs a complete tear down and a complete new build out.

They need a real kitchen too...

It will be nice to have 3 good rooms in town once again, thanks Mark!

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute...shouting profanities will get you removed?

Imagine that! This sounds like a place where people are actually expected to have respect for their fellow human being! If I were a betting man...I would wager that he is probably going to make some kind of rule about trashy music being played also...or, perish the thought, he might even choose to eliminate that kind of music from the jukebox altogether!

I hope he realizes that he will be sending out the invitation to the locals, that families are welcome and...that they can expect that they won't be put in compromising or embarrassing situations.

This can't be good for pool, can it?

I mean, the average pool room doesn't even get close to this kind of thing. Why...it'll ruin pool's reputation!

Mark's surgery must've taken a toll on his mental health if he thinks he is going to swim against the stream of the strong tide of filthy music, horrible language...and overall trashy reputation that pool has been known for, for decades.

It's a good thing that very few pool room owners do this kind of thing because if they did, within a few years, purses for tournaments would get much higher. Why...you ask? Because there would be lots of local businesses, as well as corporate sponsors wanting to jump on board.

All that would do is create less elbow room for those of us who enjoy that trashy music and who love to be able to let cuss words just fly out of our mouths, with reckless abandon.

Another downside is that the average parents might start feeling like they can take their children to such a place. Why...that would be terrible for pool!

Yep...I do think that Mark has lost it! We can only hope that after a little more rehab, he starts to fall back into some sort of normal pool room owner's thinking patterns!

In fact...shame on Mark for thinking he can just leave the typical pool room behavior and atmosphere, and strike out on his own with this sort of crazy thought of creating a pool room that people can actually take pride in!

We can only hope that he falls flat on his face with this endeavor. That way...tournament purses can stay at their paltry sums, families will choose to stay away...and pool can keep its reputation that it has so carefully built in the last 75 years or so.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if it allows smoking anywhere inside then i will never get to see the inside of it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Imagine that! This sounds like a place where people are actually expected to have respect for their fellow human being! If I were a betting man...I would wager that he is probably going to make some kind of rule about trashy music being played also...or, perish the thought, he might even choose to eliminate that kind of music from the jukebox altogether!

I hope he realizes that he will be sending out the invitation to the locals, that families are welcome and...that they can expect that they won't be put in compromising or embarrassing situations.

I mean, the average pool room doesn't even get close to this kind of thing. Why...it'll ruin pool's reputation!

Mark's surgery must've taken a toll on his mental health if he thinks he is going to swim against the stream of the strong tide of filthy music, horrible language...and overall trashy reputation that pool has been known for, for decades.

It's a good thing that very few pool room owners do this kind of thing because if they did, within a few years, purses for tournaments would get much higher. Why...you ask? Because there would be lots of local businesses, as well as corporate sponsors wanting to jump on board.

All that would do is create less elbow room for those of us who enjoy that trashy music and who love to be able to let cuss words just fly out of our mouths, with reckless abandon.

Another downside is that the average parents might start feeling like they can take their children to such a place. Why...that would be terrible for pool!

Yep...I do think that Mark has lost it! We can only hope that after a little more rehab, he starts to fall back into some sort of normal pool room owner's thinking patterns!

In fact...shame on Mark for thinking he can just leave the typical pool room behavior and atmosphere, and strike out on his own with this sort of crazy thought of creating a pool room that people can actually take pride in!

We can only hope that he falls flat on his face with this endeavor. That way...tournament purses can stay at their paltry sums, families will choose to stay away...and pool can keep its reputation that it has so carefully built in the last 75 years or so.

An excellent post, Toes....IMO

I like the fact that Mark will probably have some good tournaments at the new room...
...a permanent location is more economically feasible.

But I think he should make one more house rule....
...NO talking about Alaska....:)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

It's Las Vegas and I'm sure he expects to make a little money... so your dreamland is a for sure way to close the doors for good.

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...you're probably right, cleary!

I mean, there is just no way that people will go into a pool room if trashy music is not allowed to be played, and if they are not allowed to shout cuss words.

How would it even be possible for people to enjoy such a place, much less expect to spend any money in there, if they are not allowed to cuss loudly and play trashy, adolescent noise?

In fact...you can rest assured that no normal pool player would even consider going into a place like that, if those things are not front and center.

And...we could also rely on the fact that we could keep the reputation that took so many years to build.

I mean, after all...cleary, you wouldn't play pool on any kind of a regular basis, at a place like that, if you weren't allowed to cuss loudly or play trashy, childish noise on the jukebox, right?

...and if Mark has really flipped out, he probably won't even allow men to go into women's restrooms.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...you're probably right, cleary!

I mean, there is just no way that people will go into a pool room if trashy music is not allowed to be played, and if they are not allowed to shout cuss words.

How would it even be possible for people to enjoy such a place, much less expect to spend any money in there, if they are not allowed to cuss loudly and play trashy, adolescent noise?

In fact...you can rest assured that no normal pool player would even consider going into a place like that, if those things are not front and center.

And...we could also rely on the fact that we could keep the reputation that took so many years to build.

...and if Mark has really flipped out, he probably won't even allow men to go into women's restrooms.

Skanks better be allowed