Hustling / Was Eddie a dirtbag in TCOM?

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A recent thread about a "hustle" made me really think about what even constitutes a hustle, and even more about me always wanting to shout at the TV screen every time Vincent veers away from Eddie's 'teachings' in TCOM. In the movie I want him to learn the art of the hustle which he eventually does, and it comes back to bite Eddie.

Back in real life, the poster on the recent thread pulled almost exactly one of the hustles from the movie, only instead of the poster walking in as an unknown and the bartender watching him play for a few hours, it sounds like the bartender had seen the poster play before, just on a different day(s). So in the thread the bartender tells the poster he is 'covered', while in the movie the bartender makes the bet directly with Eddie. Pretty much everyone came down on the poster, which I immediately agreed with. It was a sucky thing to take the bartenders money by dumping.

That being said, at what point is it the better's responsibility? Was this bartender actually the posters 'backer'? When I used to gamble on pool a lot (20 years ago) I always considered a backer to be someone you had a relationship with, and an understanding for splitting up wins. It sounds like this bartender had seen the kid play a bit before and wanted some action. What if the bartender had told the posters friend, "I'll bet you $100 you lose" rather than telling the poster he is covered and then the poster dumps (which is much closer to the movie situation), is this more acceptable? Let's go to the extreme and say that you are playing and some guy has seen you play a few racks with your friend and he is a betting lunatic and he says he will bet your friend $10k that he loses the next rack against you. Putting aside any fear for bodily harm, what would you do? Now lets say that you know that this guy is filthy rich and for him money grows on trees and he ups it to $50k. Does this change anything?

I guess it comes down to "is it always wrong to dump" and is dumping even a hustle? Is there a big difference between a 'hustle' where you trick someone into losing money by using skill they didn't know you had, and 'dumping', or tricking someone into losing money by not using skill that they think you have?

This also got me thinking about TCOM. I'm the kind of person where I always root for the good guys to win. It occured to me that I should be rooting for Vincent to have kept fighting Eddie every step of the way and always show his true speed, kick butt all the way to the tourney and then win the big cup. But then he gives up the opportunity to make 10 times that much if he just follows Eddie's instructions. I have to give Scorsese credit, he made me root for something that pretty much goes against my core values without me even realizing it. It certianly has made me analyze the 'fine line' a lot more closely than I ever had before.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
There are really only two sides to it, though it'll be argued that there's MUCH grey area on the subject. Is it OK to take someone's money in a dishonest way?

One side will say that an honest man cannot be hustled, and if he didn't think he was gonna get something out of the bet (thinking he had an advantage) then he wouldn't have bet. This to me is weak, almost like saying two wrongs make a right. In the bartender "hustle" thread, the bartender obviously thought the dumper had the better of it, and put up money thinking he would win money; yet most everyone JUMPED the OP for dumping.

Another example I'd use that is MUCH worse is guys who pull investment schemes on folks. Are all the investors (usually senior citizens) just greedy thinking that their money will make money through these investments and deserve to lose all their savings to dishonest people???

Then there is my side. I think dishonest practices, whether big or small, are just that; DISHONEST. A liar is a liar. I know it won't change, and luckily I'm not one to chase money since I do not mind betting....for those who DO (chase money), I feel sorry for them.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Hustling

is simply 'misrepresentation'. (basically, fraud) Companies can be sued for misrepresentation. Say a store advertises a product for a sale price, and then does not have the product in stock, they can be sued.

Hustlers downplay their skill to rob from people that aren't as good as they are. BUT, I grew up in the 'Let the buyer beware' age, or simply, you better be smart enough to know what you are getting into, or you don't get into it.

Bottom line - There is something to be said for the man that recognizes his limitations. (because he will be a smarter gambler than one who doesn't).

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Hustlers are part of life. Nobody said they have sterling character or that you'd like one to marry your sister or daughter.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Hustlers are part of life. Nobody said they have sterling character or that you'd like one to marry your sister or daughter.

100% true, but most wouldn't mind their sister or daughter marrying someone like Bill Gates, who pulled off one of the biggest hustles of all time - selling IBM an operating system he didn't even have, and then buying DOS off of someone for a miniscule (compared to the gain he got from it) amount to pass along to IBM. Paid off for him, of course, but then again the guy who he bought DOS from wasn't pitching it to IBM either...???

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Oh, forgot to mention to the OP.....Eddie reveals what character he has in the first few minutes of the CoM. Passing off cheaper liquor for top shelf stuff. If that didn't tell you all you needed to know about Eddie.....:eek:

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the FIRST movie covered that Eddie was a d-bag?.:)

Well it did for sure :) , but at the end he appears to reach a level of understanding of what he had done....I can't say that he redeemed himself fully, but it apears there is a realization.

I guess in TCOM Paul Newman comes off as so likable in the role that the underlying right or wrong of what he is doing with Vincent gets brushed to the side a bit. I guess this recent thread about a hustle (or not, as the case may be) made me starting thinking more about who is responsible for what, and what even constitues a hustle.

I think the crux of my long winded first post was:

"Is there a big difference between a 'hustle' where you trick someone into losing money by using skill they didn't know you had, and 'dumping', or tricking someone into losing money by not using skill that they think you have?"

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a whisker of difference

With two exceptions I'm not proud of I never hustled anyone that wasn't trying to hustle me. That is the difference between a hustle or a con like an outright dump is. I was playing the same game the other player was playing when I hustled, I was just playing it a little better.

I never really considered hiding my speed hustling until I came on here. It was just the bait I used to attract would be hustlers. Guys that just wanted to play for the hell of it or a few bucks didn't get hurt. The guys that were stalling themselves while constantly wanting to jack the bet, some of them got burned pretty good.

I was very young and thought that the con style hustle was supposed to be part of pool when I pulled one. It left a very bad taste in my mouth but I tried again about six months later just to see if it still felt wrong after I had more experience in the pool world. It still felt totally wrong and I never did it again. These weren't major hustles or big scores but I built a framework of lies to trap someone that might not have been trying to trap me.

Being a hustler among hustlers is one thing, being a hustler among people who aren't trying to hustle you is another or at least that is the way I see it. Still bugs me that I ran those two hustles, I took down hundreds of would be small time hustlers and can't remember them.

Hu

QUOTE=BassMasterK;2148789]Well it did for sure :) , but at the end he appears to reach a level of understanding of what he had done....I can't say that he redeemed himself fully, but it apears there is a realization.

I guess in TCOM Paul Newman comes off as so likable in the role that the underlying right or wrong of what he is doing with Vincent gets brushed to the side a bit. I guess this recent thread about a hustle (or not, as the case may be) made me starting thinking more about who is responsible for what, and what even constitues a hustle.

I think the crux of my long winded first post was:

"Is there a big difference between a 'hustle' where you trick someone into losing money by using skill they didn't know you had, and 'dumping', or tricking someone into losing money by not using skill that they think you have?"[/QUOTE]

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO when 2 players work together to rob someone.... thats not hustling.... thats a con game. Player vs Player boils down to whether or not something is a good bet or not. If there is laying down to get said bet.... thats hustling.
Its no different than getting someone to sports bet who doesnt understand point spreads. They are in over their head, and should not have made the bet in the first place. But for whatever reason, usually greed... they threw their money on the table to GAMBLE.
Chuck

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trustyrusty; One side will say that an honest man cannot be hustled said:
Glad to hear some one putting some responsibility on the hussled with bruised egos.Instead of blaming,name calling a hustler the hussled have to take a look at their attitudes- the inflated self worth,underestimation of the skills of others,disrespect towards others,greediness.
Show me a player, I will hustle him anytime!:cool:

Last edited:

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of the first movie wasn't Mr. Nice Guy it was The Hustler. Fast Eddie Felson was the character Mr. Tevis created to portray, the hustler. It was fiction, make believe, but it was also based on things that were known or talked about in the pool-room world.

Unfortunately, the low life's and the scam artists are more talked about and make for better reading than the player's that quietly squared off over in the corner of the room.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of the first movie wasn't Mr. Nice Guy it was The Hustler. Fast Eddie Felson was the character Mr. Tevis created to portray, the hustler. It was fiction, make believe, but it was also based on things that were known or talked about in the pool-room world.

Unfortunately, the low life's and the scam artists are more talked about and make for better reading than the player's that quietly squared off over in the corner of the room.

Well said, Tom!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the FIRST movie covered that Eddie was a d-bag?.:)

MAybe by today's perspective, but Newman's character is more of a romantic non-conformer. In TCOM he is all growed up.

See Ned Polsky's or Robert Byrne's writings for further.

IMO

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
The Hustler had a much deeper story and moral thanTCOM. In the end of the Hustler, Eddie seems to reach a more mature sense of consciousness, and therefore begins to listen to his conscience. Who knows if that Eddie would have ever hustled again?

The older Eddie created by Walter Tevis doesn't seem to have matured at all from the earlier days. He's a liquor salesman hustling liquor and and has no problem scamming people for money in pool.

I think Tevis could have created a different Paul Newman character who would have been more like a teacher and pro pool player who entered tournaments for the competition and on occasion played some heads up pool for money, no conning or sharking. I'm not sure this scenario would have sold, though, and of course that's what this is all about "THE COLOR OF MONEY"....

Jim Kuykendall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The movie had nothing to do with the book. The stories are totally different. Everybody gets a kick out of a guy playing someone else for a sucker and pulling it off. But the people that get a kick out of it will also have nothing to do with the hustler. Hard core pool is a world of it's own. You have to learn how to butcher the English language ie. use don't when it should be doesn't, etc. You can't put yourself in the other guys shoes, so all that matters is the outcome. Then you get a following of guys who look up to you but would not have you over for dinner.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to pic sides when the whole friggin world is full of "hustlers"

My insurance Co. called me last week to tell me I didn't have to pay the high premiums.....All I had to do was tell a little white lie that my trucks were personal...not commercial...and it would save me $$$ on premiums....

YEA...but I would NOT be covered when it counts......sales people just wanted to keep my business!

I had the wifey call our phone Co. today on a tip from my sisinlaw.....they offered 60% off the normal billing. All you had to do was ask!.....they said the info was in an add in the paper 4 weeks ago :cool:

Why didn't hey just tell me?

hustlers!

oh well....I'm as much to blame I gess too?!

G.