Who was the best pool player you ever played in your pool career?

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mid 90s I was stationed in Virginia Beach and was able to play against a very young Charlie Williams in a few of the Q-Master handicap tournaments.

Later in my military career I was stationed in Philadelphia and had a chance to play with Jimmy and Pete Fusco, as well as John "Cornflakes" Hennigan before he was "Johnny World" the poker player. I also had a chance to play against a very young up and coming player named Corey while living in Philly.

In the late 90s just before I quit playing I had the chance to play a couple games of one pocket against a young Jeremy Jones in Southaven, MS.

Those were all weighted tournaments or "fun" games. Best player I ever actually matched up with was probably Canadian Pro Paul Potier in Virginia Beach, who gave me a healthy spot and outran it for a couple hundred. I later ended up taking lessons from Paul and he applied my "losses" to the lesson fee. He was as great a guy as he was a player.

In fact, looking back, all the great players I mentioned in this post were great people that I am thankful for having had the chance to meet and play against. The Fusco brothers in particular made my love for the game a mortal lock.

CJ

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Earl Strickland. Beat me 9-0 in a Seminole Florida Pro Tour event. I hit the cueball twice in that set, scratched on first break giving him ball in hand and a few games later I kicked at a ball and left him a shot. End of set.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It was years after his best game, but George "Ginky" Sansouci might be the best I've played. At one time, he was one of the best American players, I wish I would have been around in those days.

Ginky for sure..back in 2000 at the old Amsterdam he saw me watching him practice and had seen me b4 and told me to shoot for a bit..gave me some advice to help me and probably the nicest pro I've met ever. And he was a monster player at the time. Just a great guy.

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the early 1990's I got double steered into playing Santos Sambajon getting the 7. Lost $300 and he never ran out. He shot mostly combos.

Then I let my buddy play him and we lost another $500.

Don't you hate it when someone double stir's you? People will do anything for money. Where is the Honor today?

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mid 90s I was stationed in Virginia Beach and was able to play against a very young Charlie Williams in a few of the Q-Master handicap tournaments.

Later in my military career I was stationed in Philadelphia and had a chance to play with Jimmy and Pete Fusco, as well as John "Cornflakes" Hennigan before he was "Johnny World" the poker player. I also had a chance to play against a very young up and coming player named Corey while living in Philly.

In the late 90s just before I quit playing I had the chance to play a couple games of one pocket against a young Jeremy Jones in Southaven, MS.

Those were all weighted tournaments or "fun" games. Best player I ever actually matched up with was probably Canadian Pro Paul Potier in Virginia Beach, who gave me a healthy spot and outran it for a couple hundred. I later ended up taking lessons from Paul and he applied my "losses" to the lesson fee. He was as great a guy as he was a player.

In fact, looking back, all the great players I mentioned in this post were great people that I am thankful for having had the chance to meet and play against. The Fusco brothers in particular made my love for the game a mortal lock.

CJ

Charlie Williams is one hell of a player. I met him in Hampton Roads Va. He was young then and upcoming player.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
george ginky sansouci, earl strickland, tony robles, a few more I cant remember. the one with the most presence would have to be ginky, he was something special. he made a shot in the side pocket with little angle with inside english and was able to go three rails to get position for the next shot. my jaw dropped, I broke once and never shot again.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Louie

While I was taking lessons from Dan Louie I got matched up with him in BCA league. I had BIH with two balls and dogged the first shot because I was trying so hard not to **** it up :p

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best player

Well i broke even with st louie louie.........thats pretty good and i beat ra with a spot.......and beat grady twice.....sparky in texas

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Rafael Martinez @ One Pocket ... He felt sorry for me, let me make two balls,
then ran out on me three games straight. I was frickin' thrilled and we have
been good friends ever since. His life has been a rollercoaster to say the least.
He knows it's all "on him" and makes no excuses. Clean and Sober now and
playing mighty sporty, if I do say so myself. Wish he was back in SacTown.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I got roped into playing in a small tournament. Only 16 of us. Single elimination. I drew Danny Olson who is an up and comer in the pool world. This was when I think he was only 15 and he just throttled me. For every move that I made he had a better return. It was fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcesarey

Mike Davis...I actually took off at the beginning of the set in a race to 9 in a 9ball tourney at Ft. Walton. I was up 5-3 and then he took off and controlled the table for the rest of the match. He actually finished with a 4 pack.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
In order of how I FELT I got crushed lol

Sky Woodward
Charlie Bryant
Charlie Williams
Mike Davis
Brandon Shuff
Matt Krah
Shawn Wilkie
Jennifer Baretta (sp?)
Stephano Pelinga (sp?)
Jeanette Lee
Kelly Fisher (it was in 04 before she became a monster)
Jamison Neu
Ozzy Reynolds
Josh Brothers
Brett Stottlemeyer

and I am sure there are more

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Brandon Shuff at Derby last year. I drew him in rounds 2 and 3. The combined score was 18-1. He was on fire.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy named John DuClose, hope I spelled it right. He was the best player in Anchorage for a few years starting in the late 60's. Mark Griffin can probably say how good he was, as I was 15 when I met John and Mark. Any way, I thought I was hot stuff on a table back then. John showed me I wasn't in a big way.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Shannon Murphy when he was 12. I won. Lol. And that's the only chance he'll ever get lol.

Grady at the 2001 US Open.

Joey Gray few months ago. Still hurts to sit down.