do not know what to think of this prospective buyer

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has a guy send me an email about a cue.

he made me an offer of $425 for a titlist conversion, if i would build an additional shaft.

this is a brazilain rosewood titlist, 2 old honey color brunswick house cue shafts i sell for for $150 each, lets see that leaves $150 to buy the brw titlist and my labor.

any suggestions ????????

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You know what you're worth. Why would you consider working for less?
It's not like you need the money, which is good because it sounds as though the client doesn't have much.
About time for a reality-check and fate has positioned you to deliver the rude-awakening.
Be gentle.

KJ

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
That sounds like a GREAT deal for him.

Let me know how many I can order at 425

Lol....

Tell him what you charge, just be done with it. You already charge way less than your work deserves.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the point being

have anyone priced a brw titlist one piece in decent enough condition for conversion ?

the last ones i saw brought 700 each.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have anyone priced a brw titlist one piece in decent enough condition for conversion ?

the last ones i saw brought 700 each.
That seems a little high. I've sold a fair amount of 1 piece Titlist from poor to great condition and outside of the ebony or more rare types 250-400 for the blank is about right. 500-600 if its in spectacular condition.

If the buyer provides the blank I think his 425.00 price isn't all that unreasonable, a bit low but not unreasonable.

If you got to find the blank and assume the risk of purchasing the blank that really changes things.

How many times have we all come across blanks that look great but come apart for some reason or another. That could get costly.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bishop

i recently bought a titlist in pretty good condition, and large enough to convert for $125. if i remember right it was palmwood. and i agree 250-350 is about right for beat up or common cues.

i am not talking about common, do you know where i could buy a few brw titlist, do you know of any that are for sale ?

reminds me of the guy that wants to buy a diamond, the size and quality he is looking for, cost about 3k,

he says, hell the guy down the street is selling them for 2k. i said buy one from him, he says he doesn't have any.

i say, if i did not have any i would be selling them for $100.00

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently bought a titlist in pretty good condition, and large enough to convert for $125. if i remember right it was palmwood. and i agree 250-350 is about right for beat up or common cues.

i am not talking about common, do you know where i could buy a few brw titlist, do you know of any that are for sale ?

reminds me of the guy that wants to buy a diamond, the size and quality he is looking for, cost about 3k,

he says, hell the guy down the street is selling them for 2k. i said buy one from him, he says he doesn't have any.

i say, if i did not have any i would be selling them for $100.00
I'm sure you could turn one up inside a couple of months. Why not run a WTB listing in the For Sale section here. Someone might have one. They're not that uncommon but the real problem will be how hard it is to identify BRW without cleaning it up.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Tell him you accept the $425 and that will include overnight shipping.....but just for the two shafts. The butt will be extra. :thumbup:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Let me know how many I can order at 425

I was going to say the same. Chuck knows what his regular customs are worth.

Geez. People on EBay are starting to ask 100 or better for one Tru Balance one piece.

I used to buy several for that price.

If I needed another cue, like I need another hole in my head, (already have a few dents),

In fact, if I were looking for a Titlist conversion, specially with a wood pin, Chuck would be a my first choice.

Don't under sell yourself Chuck.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We get emails like this almost on a daily basis. The best way to deal with these uninformed pinheads is to just hit the delete button and move on. Let the next guy waste their time as they probably have time to waste. It's a no win situation. If you tell them they're nuts, it starts more useless communication. And, if you try to explain it to them, it doesn't matter because 99.999% of the time they don't have the money anyway. Move on and post to AZ; it's more entertaining. :p

JC

Coos Cues
We get emails like this almost on a daily basis. The best way to deal with these uninformed pinheads is to just hit the delete button and move on. Let the next guy waste their time as they probably have time to waste. It's a no win situation. If you tell them they're nuts, it starts more useless communication. And, if you try to explain it to them, it doesn't matter because 99.999% of the time they don't have the money anyway. Move on and post to AZ; it's more entertaining. :p

I never understand why people have to take business so personal. Why not just shoot him a counter offer and move on with your day? No further explanation needed. There is no less shame in trying to stretch your money as a buyer than there is in trying to maximize your income from your own work. $425 for that cue wasn't so ridiculous as not to merit a counter.

JC

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kingwood or cocobola ?

i bought these pieces from a dealer of exotic woods as kingwood.

they smell cut and look to me like cocobola, i believe the two are in the same family, any guesses ?

these were just turned round using 6 wing cutter and wetted with hightowers shaft sealer

SORRY WRONG THREAD

Attachments

• P2102751.jpg
    P2102751.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 619
  • P2102748.jpg
    P2102748.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 630
  • P2102743.jpg
    P2102743.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chuck, I would tell the guy what you would charge to do the conversion and build the requested shafts and not include the cost of the cue to be converted. Let him find the cue to convert or If he cannot find a cue to convert and you can get one, just sell it at your cost of acquisition. I would think this would be a win/win except for your time spent on acquiring the cue. Hopefully you have profit built into your build to cover that time expense. Just my opinion.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Looks like kingwood to me, though I rarely see it with good figure like that. Could be Mexican kingwood, aka camatillo, which more often has interesting grain like the stuff you got. It's also more in line with the color. Brazilian kingwood is generally a dull purple when fresh cut, and fades to a pink/red like your pics over time. It eventually turns pale tan. Mexican ranges in color from deep purple to pink/red like your stuff, but unlike Brazilian that fades, the Mexican will darken over time.

Brazilian smells kinda like tulipwood, a soft flowery perfume type of scent. Cocobolo has a similar floral odor but very harsh & sharp, not so sweet. Camatillo smells more like Brazilian kingwood than it does coco, but not as sweet. Price is also an indicator. Kingwood (either one) usually costs more than coco.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbilder

i gave 100 for these 2 squares, thanks for your knowledge,

and for finding this post on the wrong thread.

hustler4483

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never understand why people have to take business so personal. Why not just shoot him a counter offer and move on with your day? No further explanation needed. There is no less shame in trying to stretch your money as a buyer than there is in trying to maximize your income from your own work. $425 for that cue wasn't so ridiculous as not to merit a counter.

JC

I could not agree more, all people need to do is say thanks but no thanks or counter. A pool cue is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, I wonder how long it has been sitting finished without a home

Chuck, you make very pretty pool cues but don't take such offense. Do people write you offended by any of your asking prices?

You took exception one time to my wanting a secondhand pool cue of yours, I mention I was on a budget. You saw that I had 43 Itrader transactions and question that I wasn't looking to flip the cue. I genuinely wanted to try one of your pool cues with the big wooden pin and ferruless shafts

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really offended

but i do get tired of CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

in the last 20 years i have spent an excess of $75,000 learning to build cues and buying materials, and this was just as a sideline.

when you have as much money and time as i do, [ and i know many have much more ] into a project and someone wants you to give him materials at cost and work for 00.12 cents a hour i sometimes express my feelings.

hustler4483 thank you for being as kind to me as you were considering i was not nice to you.

BUT, lets just look at this from a slight different perspective, how would you feel when you went to work and your boss, ask you to work for half your normal pay for the next week. that is the way you are making me feel if you give me some bullshit offer.
that is the same as when people are asking for builders to do when they offer less than we want for a cue. i am asking a VERY fair price for my cues and price them to make a small profit.