shaft straight, butt straight, but both are not

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys.

I bought a tiger LD shaft that is straight if you roll it alone.

My butt is straight if also rolled alone, or even if you roll it with my mezz shaft that I originally use, or even with its own hand-made shaft it rolls straight too.

When I put the tiger LD shaft with my butt, it kinda wabbles :angry: what does that mean :(

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my second tiger shaft that comes like this, I'm kinda disappointed, how do I do this faced thingy, is it hard to do?

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it rolls straight with the original shafts then it is only the face on the Tiger that needs to be corrected.

Also check to see if it hangs over on one side and hangs in on the other side. Sometimes when wood is threaded the tap walks off center. If this is the case a plug and retap will fix.

Of course any competent cue repair man or cue maker can fix.

Last edited:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Another quick tip would be to chamfer the threads on the shaft, assuming that it is not a piloted joint

RBC

Deceased
What kind of joint does your cue have?

Could it be that the screw is bottoming in the shaft? Or could there be some other interference where the shaft contacts the cue?

Tiger builds great products, so if two of them are doing the same thing, I would have to look a little deeper. Over the years, I've seen some crazy little things that can cause similar issues.

Foe example, the Radial pin has an alignment barrel that is typically installed completely inside the butt of the cue. But, I've seen them, as well as some newer style 3/8-10 pins, installed with some of that alignment barrel exposed above the joint face. A shaft that has a small chamfer on it may not face up properly where as a shaft with a slightly larger chamfer may fit fine. Neither shaft is defective, it's just some of the things that can happen with all the different cues out there combined with all the different shafts.

Royce

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using my cue butt which has a 3/8x10 pin, I own like 4 identical custom butts with that pin, all of them are the same, and I've used many shafts over the years on this same butt.

These custom cues are made by a well known cue maker and they are all fine, I say fine because Ive changed shafts over the years and all of them fit very well.

I've used
1) his own custom shaft.
2) Mezz hybrid pro II (2 shafts)
3) Universal Shaft (3 shafts)
4) Mezz Alpha (3 shafts)

All of these shafts are straight singled, and also straight when put together with the cue.

To the person above me, this is why I thought it's with the tiger shaft and not the cue, but now as I'm reading to the other replies, I'm not sure about the chamfer, but If you guys mean by this the tightness of the thread inside the shaft, then I can tell you that the tiger shafts that I received both of them are pretty tight, they roll straight singled, but once I put them together with the cue they wabble. But the thing is, at the last few scrolls while i'm putting the cue together with the tiger shafts, they are pretty tight and need hard muscle to lockdown, is this the reason why they wabble? As I understood some of the replies, that might be it? So to fix this, I need to enlarge the thread inside the shaft, is that what you guys are saying? Thanks.

By the way the tiger shafts that I got are two different shafts, one is Ultra-X and other one is Ultra-X LD. both are tight during the end when putting the cue together.

RBC

Deceased
I'm using my cue butt which has a 3/8x10 pin, I own like 4 identical custom butts with that pin, all of them are the same, and I've used many shafts over the years on this same butt.

These custom cues are made by a well known cue maker and they are all fine, I say fine because Ive changed shafts over the years and all of them fit very well.

I've used
1) his own custom shaft.
2) Mezz hybrid pro II (2 shafts)
3) Universal Shaft (3 shafts)
4) Mezz Alpha (3 shafts)

All of these shafts are straight singled, and also straight when put together with the cue.

To the person above me, this is why I thought it's with the tiger shaft and not the cue, but now as I'm reading to the other replies, I'm not sure about the chamfer, but If you guys mean by this the tightness of the thread inside the shaft, then I can tell you that the tiger shafts that I received both of them are pretty tight, they roll straight singled, but once I put them together with the cue they wabble. But the thing is, at the last few scrolls while i'm putting the cue together with the tiger shafts, they are pretty tight and need hard muscle to lockdown, is this the reason why they wabble? As I understood some of the replies, that might be it? So to fix this, I need to enlarge the thread inside the shaft, is that what you guys are saying? Thanks.

By the way the tiger shafts that I got are two different shafts, one is Ultra-X and other one is Ultra-X LD. both are tight during the end when putting the cue together.

Can you tell us how long the joint pin extends out from the joint face of the butt?

Here's what it sounds like.

If the shaft is threaded to a depth of say 1.250", and the joint pin is slightly longer, as the pin nears the end of the threads, it will push to the side. Basically, the single thread on the screw has no groove for it to go into, causing it to push away. With a single thread, which most all joint screws are, this will just push to one side. Causing the shaft to not roll straight.

The trouble with this is that you can't just measure the depth of the hole in the shaft. It will always be drilled deeper than it's threaded.

Of course, the chamfer on the threaded hole on the shaft could also be interfering with the base of the screw if it's not installed deep enough as I've already mentioned.

Royce