What is the most neglected aspect in amateur pool?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So new players should only be interested and excited about pool if there is a whole bunch of money to be made? Can't it just be because it's fun to play pool? Just as a hobby, as a fun passtime, whatever?
I bet it was a hell of an adventure taking that first cruise on the Titanic, until it hit that damn iceberg and the people realized, we're dying now. Meaning, no Pro's playing anymore in the US, no more tournaments, no more tournaments, sales to the masses fall off, but yes....we can still have some fun....asking what happened?

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Equating the health of amateur pool to the health of professional pool is silly. I think, yes, professional sports in general give a certain level of exposure to the sport but 99.999% of people that play any sport have no intention of becoming a pro. I never played golf because the PGA exists. All that professional sports do for the western amateur is serve to sell the latest and greatest apparel and equipment. The sport would not die altogether without a pro league.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See, here's the real deal, if pool don't get fixed so that the top pro's can make a decent living as a PRO, then why worry about the amateurs learning to play pool? I mean, with no possible future to look forward to as a PRO, why worry about bringing in new players....to support pool leagues?
more pros, more purses

more amateurs, more pros

more players, more amateurs

more bangers getting into the "real" game, more players

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Equating the health of amateur pool to the health of professional pool is silly. I think, yes, professional sports in general give a certain level of exposure to the sport but 99.999% of people that play any sport have no intention of becoming a pro. I never played golf because the PGA exists. All that professional sports do for the western amateur is serve to sell the latest and greatest apparel and equipment. The sport would not die altogether without a pro league.

Pro's are used for advertising a sport. No pro's, no advertising, no advertising, no sales, no sales....no incentive for manufacturing to get involved. No industry support....no sport....it really is that simple!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
more pros, more purses

more amateurs, more pros

more players, more amateurs

more bangers getting into the "real" game, more players
You Have It Bass Acwards.

More Friendly Pool Community & Pool Rooms, More Ball Bangers.

More Ball Bangers, More Regulars.

More Regulars, More Amateurs.

More Amateurs, More Leagues & More Cue Sales.

More Leagues, More Local Tournaments.

More Local Tournaments, More Talent.

More Talent, More Pros.

More Pros, More Money.

CGM

Silver Member
I would venture to guess that most people that play couldnt name one pro.

CGM

Silver Member
Pro's are used for advertising a sport. No pro's, no advertising, no advertising, no sales, no sales....no incentive for manufacturing to get involved. No industry support....no sport....it really is that simple!

I just dont see how you can attribute the entirety of the well being of pool on the backs of the existence of professionals. I promise you that if professional pool players ceased to exist today just as many people would play pool tomorrow.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
position play and basic strategy.
I see many amateurs who are decent shot makers, but they make little effort to leave the CB in shape for the next shot, and have no clue about defense or what I consider basic strategy.....

I agree. Many times the only difference between a good shot-making bar banger and a fine-tuned poolhall player is their ability to learn and play position, patterns, and overall strategy.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:boring2:

Actually there are amateurs out there that are better than so called professionals.

Those amateurs have real jobs and aren't afraid to work for a living.

Forty years ago every big town had a hand full. ....They were good but just didn't leave the porch.

:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just dont see how you can attribute the entirety of the well being of pool on the backs of the existence of professionals. I promise you that if professional pool players ceased to exist today just as many people would play pool tomorrow.

Just imagine if there was no "professional's" representing any type of sports being played. Would baseball cease to exist after little league? Would football end after high school? How about basketball, no need for a scholarships if there's no where to play after collage right?

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Have It Bass Acwards.

More Friendly Pool Community & Pool Rooms, More Ball Bangers.

More Ball Bangers, More Regulars.

More Regulars, More Amateurs.

More Amateurs, More Leagues & More Cue Sales.

More Leagues, More Local Tournaments.

More Local Tournaments, More Talent.

More Talent, More Pros.

More Pros, More Money.
I'm a back-asswards kinda guy haha

Glad you got my point though!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

It is.
Nobody cares about pro women's soccer or softball.
The participation in those sports is healthy.

Would bass fishing die without pro-bass fishing contest ? No.

Most APA and BCA bangers don't even know SVB.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Back on the actual topic:

From both in person and recorded interviews, commentary, and lessons, here's what I've gathered from several pros or top-level amateurs on what the average player should be working on if they want to improve their game:

Johnny Archer______Fundamentals & cue ball aim
Shane VanBoening__Practice & cue ball control
Jason Shaw _______Fundamentals / Drills
Ronnie Alcano______Fundamentals / Drills
Bustamante________Cue ball control
Efren Reyes________*spin* (wasn't specific, but from what I could gather)
Earl Strickland______Position
Tor Lowry__________Fundamentals
Bob Jewett_________Fundamentals
Dave Alciatore______Fundamentals
Mark Griffin ________Pattern Play
Ken Schuman ______Pattern Play
Corey Deuel _______Delivery (cue ball aim)
John Schmidt_______Delivery (HAMB / making the shot)

Since their observations are sometimes several years passed, they may have changed their mind slightly and are welcome to correct the list.

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its safety play. I think we find ways to stand and make balls that work but suffer from attempting shots that give the other guy the table. I am not a runout player by any means but i see the value in bih and can get out with a favorable layout. Pattern play i think is number 2. It helps us plan ahead and know the odds of getting out or playing safe.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its safety play. I think we find ways to stand and make balls that work but suffer from attempting shots that give the other guy the table. I am not a runout player by any means but i see the value in bih and can get out with a favorable layout. Pattern play i think is number 2. It helps us plan ahead and know the odds of getting out or playing safe.

I think in the long run, if you have good fundamentals, good potting abilities, and good pattern play, it seems important to be more aggressive. Not all safeties are created equal, and if you're opponent can just jump or kick out of it, you'll wish you had that 50/50 shot you dismissed a second ago. Safety-ing definitely has it's place, and I love a good safety as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather not let the guy back to the table.

When I miss a low percentage shot, it's seems more constructive to examine the chain of events that led me to that low percentage shot. Usually it was poor planning on my part a couple shots ago.

Your win percentage will definitely suffer if you're just trying to get out all the time, and if you don't have the skills to actually back it up. And it's a blurred line between playing super aggressively to improve, and just being a banger.

Also to add to the discussion, I feel like it's failure to try new things and sticking to what's comfortable that is a key part of amateur pool. The other is thinking that every skill stacks neatly on top of another, and the road is straight forward. You don't learn a perfect stroke on day 1, and if your stroke sucks, it won't just magically become perfect with ton's of play.

I think real improvement involves a lot of re-examination of your current skill sets, and how new information effects it. A lot of two steps forward, one step back type stuff. You have to be willing to overhaul or revise stuff (but not pointlessly).

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the other skill that's really important is honest evaluation of you're skill. Being able to see where you're lacking and taking the necessary steps to genuinely improve it to a satisfactory level. Also actually diagnosing problems at their roots instead of treating the symptom. ex: Instead of trying to force yourself to stay down on a shot, asking yourself why you may be jumping up in the first place.