What is the most neglected aspect in amateur pool?

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in the long run, if you have good fundamentals, good potting abilities, and good pattern play, it seems important to be more aggressive. Not all safeties are created equal, and if you're opponent can just jump or kick out of it, you'll wish you had that 50/50 shot you dismissed a second ago. Safety-ing definitely has it's place, and I love a good safety as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather not let the guy back to the table.

When I miss a low percentage shot, it's seems more constructive to examine the chain of events that led me to that low percentage shot. Usually it was poor planning on my part a couple shots ago.

Your win percentage will definitely suffer if you're just trying to get out all the time, and if you don't have the skills to actually back it up. And it's a blurred line between playing super aggressively to improve, and just being a banger.

Also to add to the discussion, I feel like it's failure to try new things and sticking to what's comfortable that is a key part of amateur pool. The other is thinking that every skill stacks neatly on top of another, and the road is straight forward. You don't learn a perfect stroke on day 1, and if your stroke sucks, it won't just magically become perfect with ton's of play.

I think real improvement involves a lot of re-examination of your current skill sets, and how new information effects it. A lot of two steps forward, one step back type stuff. You have to be willing to overhaul or revise stuff (but not pointlessly).

I agree that we should strive to improve being able to run out but i think amateurs often neglect playing a safe at the right time. A great player will get out and maybe even make the shot does not mean it was wrong to play a safe. In my experience in these moments i take the ill advised shot and suffer

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Our golf course offers free lessons once a week. Very seldom do people show up.
This may because people do not know of the lessons or may feel they don't need lessons.
Sometimes you have to create a perception of need.
Could be a lack of promotion.
Just because you offer a service or product most people will need to have it handed to them on silver platter and even then may not use the opportunity.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may because people do not know of the lessons or may feel they don't need lessons.
Sometimes you have to create a perception of need.
Could be a lack of promotion.
Just because you offer a service or product most people will need to have it handed to them on silver platter and even then may not use the opportunity.

The only reason I posted that is because I see a general trend in our society where it's difficult to get people to do anything. So much of the average person's attention and interest is locked up in social media and the spin from big companies that it is hard for a delayed gratification pursuit - such as golf, pool or bowling - to get the public's attention.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Our golf course offers free lessons once a week. Very seldom do people show up.

People think a 1 time lesson will make them a golfer... and then don't practice.
People think a pill is all that is needed to lose weight... and then eat too much.

Pool is the same.. People think playing once a week is all it takes to play well.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
position play and basic strategy.
I see many amateurs who are decent shot makers, but they make little effort to leave the CB in shape for the next shot, and have no clue about defense or what I consider basic strategy.....

I totally agree with this, and I think strategy is so bad because of the ball count system of scorekeeping in most leagues. Trains newer players to play totally the wrong way, and most of them never change.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Have It Bass Acwards.

More Friendly Pool Community & Pool Rooms, More Ball Bangers.

More Ball Bangers, More Regulars.

More Regulars, More Amateurs.

More Amateurs, More Leagues & More Cue Sales.

More Leagues, More Local Tournaments.

More Local Tournaments, More Talent.

More Talent, More Pros.

More Pros, More Money.

I don't see how you go from "more pros" to 'more money"

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Over looking the fact that most amateur pool players play pool just to have some fun, and people that PLAY pool want to spoil their fun by insisting they learn to play pool like a pool player, then getting upset when they find out....they really don't care, they are just out with their friends having fun.

"you can make a jackass out of a race horse, but you can't make a race horse out of a jackass" so here's the big question for you. Why does there have to be something wrong with nust playing pool cor fun? And, why does every person who picks up a cue stick, need to learn how to draw the cue ball back 2 feet or it's percieved that they MUST need lessons to learn to play better....so they'll be able to have fun....as pool players?

Your best post ever:thumbup:
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree with what you are saying about some people just want to have fun playing Pool, but......
Wouldn't a friendly, welcoming Pool Room with "Free Lessons for Beginners" get those Ball Bangers to feel more comfortable so that they come back to play more often?
First timers want to be shown the ropes of rules, language and pool table etiquette.
They don't have to join a league, just become repeat offenders, I mean customers!

3 things men will never admit they are not good at - sex, directions, and pool.
Jason

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imo,

cueball control over the vertical axis including but not limited to medium - long range stun run through

if I had to pick one thing in all things pool it would be the above

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Fitness?
Practice?
Fundamentals?
Kicking?
Something else perhaps?

The myth, promoted by movies and tv, that this game can be mastered in just a short period of time.

When Fast Eddie told Vincent that he needed to quit his job and go on the road a few months before the tournament to get some seasoning, Vincent was bewildered why it would take so long. I was laughing inside that movie goers would think such improvements could happen in such a short period as a few months.

Jeff Livingston

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fundamentals in my view. I can't tell you how many folks I see doing all manner of things that cause them to screw up.

The thing I see most, is coming up off the shot, what I call "jumping up". Most don't even realize they are doing it as they have been doing it for so long, it feels normal to raise up as they are delivering the stick to the cue ball.

If you want to know if your fundamentals are good, video yourself for a while. The camera doesn't lie. If you are raising up during the forward stroke, don't expect to make balls consistently, and be prepared to miss a lot of easy shots.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might as well add a few more names...

Jerry Briesath_______Fundamentals & stroke
Randy Goettlicher____Fundamentals & stroke
Scott Lee___________Fundamentals & stroke
Denny Stewart______Fundamentals & stroke
Mark Finkelstein_____Fundamentals & stroke

Getting the picture? :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Back on the actual topic:

From both in person and recorded interviews, commentary, and lessons, here's what I've gathered from several pros or top-level amateurs on what the average player should be working on if they want to improve their game:

Johnny Archer______Fundamentals & cue ball aim
Shane VanBoening__Practice & cue ball control
Jason Shaw _______Fundamentals / Drills
Ronnie Alcano______Fundamentals / Drills
Bustamante________Cue ball control
Efren Reyes________*spin* (wasn't specific, but from what I could gather)
Earl Strickland______Position
Tor Lowry__________Fundamentals
Bob Jewett_________Fundamentals
Dave Alciatore______Fundamentals
Mark Griffin ________Pattern Play
Ken Schuman ______Pattern Play
Corey Deuel _______Delivery (cue ball aim)
John Schmidt_______Delivery (HAMB / making the shot)

Since their observations are sometimes several years passed, they may have changed their mind slightly and are welcome to correct the list.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Might as well add a few more names...

Getting the picture? :thumbup:

I should have added Rodney Morris (Fundamentals) and Mike Page (Fundamentals) too. Seems there might be a trend in improving your game.

I came off a long layoff and have been working on remembering to approach every shot the same way, whether it's a half-ball safety or a 3-rail one-pocket shot. It's not like riding a bike at all, and for the moment I still have a very mechanical PSR but it's becoming a routine and not a checklist.