Can this shot be made with any consistency?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Tighter pockets would make it harder to scratch. I always just aim for the gap between the ball and the cushion.

You guys must not be playing on tables with deep shelves. On tables with deep shelves it is literally impossible to hit this ball without the cue ball going past the two points of the pocket. Without the ability to get under the cue ball because it is stuck to the rail, I can't see this shot being successful on a regular basis, but I could be wrong. Remember...the key word here is "consistency".

Tighter pockets means you would almost have to hit the object ball fuller than you would with loose pockets. With the object ball smack in the middle of a deep-shelved pocket, and with the ball hanging on the edge., I would think it would be hard to hit it with anything more than a half-ball hit.

Maybe somebody could videotape their methods and share.

Maniac

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, on my table it can be done. But in my original post I ask to not consider my table but instead one with deep shelves and tight pockets.

Do you think it can be done consistently now?

Maniac

One word answer - Yes!

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
As others have said, YES.

I just did it a few times on home table which is:

Diamond 9ft pro, 4-1/8 with deeeeep shelves.

Had the 9 centered and hanging over the edge, a sneeze could make it fall.

As expected, hit about 1/4 of left side of OB, medium speed, clean center ball hit on CB. (Or close to center as possible since you're on the rail)

No issues.

Consistent.

-von

PS: Whereas it appears that you can't hit the OB without first passing the tit, as you wrote earlier, that's just not the case.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously? Half ball hit, left side of the objection ball, firm. Once the cue ball hits the rail in should die because of the top spin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jewett pretty well nailed it in his post #7.

And the reason I said half ball is that it allows the cue ball to roll off a little to either side. I think playing quarter-ball is just asking the pool gods for a little roll to the left. Also, being on the cushion, you might not cue the ball perfectly.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the worst commercial tables I played on was in a now defunct room in the Philly Burbs that had bucket pockets combined with deep shelves. That would be way tougher for shots like this than a table with tight pockets and deep shelves. I can't remember the brand with certainty, but want to say it was Gandy.

We used to play a gaff gambling game on it, to freeze the ball against the facing of each pocket, as far in without falling. Then the shooter had to play all 6 shots in the order designated by the better. The side pocket balls were one ball width out from their pockets. A players would lose this gaff.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
You guys must not be playing on tables with deep shelves. On tables with deep shelves it is literally impossible to hit this ball without the cue ball going past the two points of the pocket.

Can you take a photo of the shelf depth?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Can you take a photo of the shelf depth?

I could, but I'm not asking the question in my OP about my table. Once again...I was asking about this shot on tables with tight pockets and deep shelves.

I only used the picture of my table to show the placement of the balls.

FWIW, I can consistently make this shot on my table.

Maniac

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could, but I'm not asking the question in my OP about my table. Once again...I was asking about this shot on tables with tight pockets and deep shelves.

I only used the picture of my table to show the placement of the balls.

FWIW, I can consistently make this shot on my table.

Maniac
I'm not sure I've ever seen a table where half ball on the left side of the object ball would scratch. Do you think such tables exist?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
aim to hit ball and rail at the same time. Shelves are deep but at it's deepest you can still do that.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Can we get a top down view of the ball at it's deepest. From looking at that pocket closest to the camera in your original picture, your shelves don't look like they are anything special.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can we get a top down view of the ball at it's deepest. From looking at that pocket closest to the camera in your original picture, your shelves don't look like they are anything special.

The OP said above that he is not talking about the table in the picture. He is talking about a table with much deeper shelves.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
The OP said above that he is not talking about the table in the picture. He is talking about a table with much deeper shelves.
Sorry, just came into this thread.

That shelf has to be absurdly deep and that pocket ridiculously wide to be able to follow that ball in hitting it half ball.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm not sure I've ever seen a table where half ball on the left side of the object ball would scratch. Do you think such tables exist?

I'm not sure one exists either, Bob. But this I know. I have played on tables with pockets so tight and shelves so deep that you could put a ball on the ledge on one side of a facing and barely be able to hit the ball shooting the cue ball from down the rail. I haven't played on a table like this in a while, but I am sure they still are out there.

My curiosity and the whole point of this thread is that I was wondering how, on a table that I just described, can an object ball be sitting on the ledge be struck by the cue ball and have enough clearance for it to miss the points and clear the pocket?

Maniac

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, just came into this thread.

That shelf has to be absurdly deep and that pocket ridiculously wide to be able to follow that ball in hitting it half ball.

I have definitely played on table(s?) Where the ball was so deep, I couldn't go rail first.