Multiple-Event Winners at the DCC

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
[EDIT -- This thread was started in 2013. Information for later years can be found later in the thread.

See posts 91 and 92 for 2024 information.

On a couple of streamed matches at the Derby City Classic this year, the commentators were discussing, with some uncertainty, whether any player had won all 3 of the primary events at any time in the DCC's history (not all in the same year).

Since the DCC website lists all past winners, this was easy to check, and here's what I found.

This was the 15th year of the DCC. The 3 disciplines or events I am talking about are 9-Ball Banks (B), 1-Pocket (1P), and 9-Ball (9B). So I am excluding things like ring games and the recently started invitational 10-ball, as well as the All-Around Champion. The total number of events being discussed here, therefore, is 45 (15 x 3). Sixteen players have won a single event and 10 players have accounted for the other 29 events by winning 2 or more. The 10 multiple-event winners are as follows:

Players who have won 2 events:
Brumback -- 2009 (B) and 2010 (B)​
Miller -- 2004 (B) and 2006 (B)​
Pagulayan -- 2011 (B) and 2013 (9B)​
Price -- 2002 (B) and 2008 (B)​
Parica -- 2001 (B) and 2003 (1P)​
Varner -- 1999 (B) and 2000 (1P)​

Players who have won 3 events:
Daulton -- 2000 (B), 2001 (9B), and 2003 (9B)​
Souquet -- 2004 (9B), 2006 (9B), and 2008 (9B)​

Player who has won 4 events:
Van Boening -- 2009 (9B), 2011 (1P), 2012 (1P & 9B)​

Player who has won 7 events:
Reyes -- 1999 (1P), 2004 (1P), 2005 (1P & 9B), 2006 (1P), 2007 (1P), 2010 (9B)​

Of the 10 multiple-event winners, 4 players (Brumback, Miller, Price, and Souquet) won all of their titles in the same discipline. Six players have won titles in 2 of the 3 disciplines. No one has won titles in all 3 disciplines.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a couple of streamed matches at the Derby City Classic this year, the commentators were discussing, with some uncertainty, whether any player had won all 3 of the primary events at any time in the DCC's history (not all in the same year).
...No one has won titles in all 3 disciplines.

Interesting stuff. thanks for the research!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
[*]Reyes -- 1999 (1P), 2004 (1P), 2005 (1P & 9B), 2006 (1P), 2007 (1P), 2010 (9B)
[/LIST]

Of the 10 multiple-event winners, 4 players (Brumback, Miller, Price, and Souquet) won all of their titles in the same discipline. Six players have won titles in 2 of the 3 disciplines. No one has won titles in all 3 disciplines.

Nick Varner was the king of multi-discipline world titles in his day.
These figures show, to me, who was the king in his day...Efren.
Who is going to be the next?...my money is on the guy in my sig line.

Thanx, AtLarge, for your work....I read all your posts.

regards
pt

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner was the king of multi-discipline world titles in his day.
These figures show, to me, who was the king in his day...Efren.
Who is going to be the next?...my money is on the guy in my sig line.

Thanx, AtLarge, for your work....I read all your posts.

regards
pt

I don't think Pags is gon' be the guy.

I'd pick SVB as most likely, given today's bullies

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My biggest surprises in looking over the list of DCC winners were that:
  • Bustamante was winless until this year;
  • Immonen has won only one event (9-ball in 2002); and
  • Daulton has won 3 times, but never in what many people consider to be his best game (1-pocket).

I think if I had to pick the guy who will be first to hold a title in all three disciplines, I'd pick Daulton.

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • Daulton has won 3 times, but never in what many people consider to be his best game (1-pocket).

I think if I had to pick the guy who will be first to hold a title in all three disciplines, I'd pick Daulton.

Shannons best game is bank pool? I don't think he will ever win 1 pocket, he could have years back, but not now.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tough pick considering Alex needs the one hole title after coming close again and Shane needs the Banks after coming close to winning all three last years.

I don't know when the last time Shannon was close in the one hole.

Freddie <~~~ never close

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Another way of looking at the possibility of a Triple Winner is "What player has to win which event?"

Pagulayan needs One-pocket
Parica needs 9-ball
Varner needs 9-ball
Daulton needs One-pocket
Van Boening needs Banks
Reyes needs Banks

My impression is that Parica, Varner and Reyes are no longer competing in the events they need. That leaves Pagulayan, Daulton and Van Boening.

Which one has the best odds of winning in his needed event?

Tough call.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think if I had to pick the guy who will be first to hold a title in all three disciplines, I'd pick Daulton.
Tough pick considering Alex needs the one hole title after coming close again and Shane needs the Banks after coming close to winning all three last years.

I don't know when the last time Shannon was close in the one hole.

Freddie <~~~ never close

Yup, a tough pick for sure. You should give me long odds, right? But I have the impression that Shannon didn't play a whole lot for quite a few years. But now he's going to play Bonus Ball. That'll put him in prime form, right?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another way of looking at the possibility of a Triple Winner is "What player has to win which event?"

Parica needs 9-ball
Varner needs 9-ball
Daulton needs One-pocket
Van Boening needs Banks
Reyes needs Banks

My impression is that Parica, Varner and Reyes are no longer competing in the events they need. That leaves Pagulayan, Daulton and Van Boening.

Tough call.

And Justin Hall needs all three; but he may get there first!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow (Tuesday), Efren Reyes has a chance to win the 9-Ball Banks event at the 2015 DCC. If he does so, he will become the first person to win all 3 of the primary events at any time in the DCC's history (not all in the same year).

So I thought I'd update Post #1 of this thread from 2013 to show all of the multiple-event winners in the event's history.

This is the 17th year of the DCC. The 3 disciplines or events I am talking about are 9-Ball Banks (B), 1-Pocket (1P), and 9-Ball (9B). So I am excluding things like ring games, 14.1, and the invitational 10-ball, as well as the All-Around Champion. The total number of events being discussed here, therefore, is 48 (16 past years x 3). Fifteen players have won a single event and 11 players have accounted for the other 33 events by winning 2 or more. The 11 multiple-event winners are as follows:

Seven players have won 2 events:
  • Brumback -- 2009 (B) and 2010 (B)
  • Miller -- 2004 (B) and 2006 (B)
  • Orcollo -- 2011(9B) and 2014 (B)
  • Pagulayan -- 2011 (B) and 2013 (9B)
  • Price -- 2002 (B) and 2008 (B)
  • Parica -- 2001 (B) and 2003 (1P)
  • Varner -- 1999 (B) and 2000 (1P)

Two players have won 3 events:
  • Daulton -- 2000 (B), 2001 (9B), and 2003 (9B)
  • Souquet -- 2004 (9B), 2006 (9B), and 2008 (9B)

One player has won 5 events:
  • Van Boening -- 2009 (9B), 2011 (1P), 2012 (1P & 9B), 2014 (9B)

One player has won 8 events:
  • Reyes -- 1999 (1P), 2004 (1P), 2005 (1P & 9B), 2006 (1P), 2007 (1P), 2010 (9B), 2014 (1P)

Of the 11 multiple-event winners, 4 players (Brumback, Miller, Price, and Souquet) won all of their titles in the same discipline. Seven players -- Daulton, Orcollo, Pagulayan, Parica, Reyes, Van Boening, and Varner -- have won titles in 2 of the 3 disciplines. No one has won titles in all 3 disciplines.

Will Reyes make more history tomorrow?

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Parica needs 9-ball
Varner needs 9-ball
Daulton needs One-pocket
Van Boening needs Banks
Reyes needs Banks

Tough call.

What a funny post this turned out to be lol. Efren was in the top 3 of banks this year at age 60! The guy is a freak!

KMRUNOUT

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always thought Efren Banks great. I'm surprised he's never won a bank title before, even though he's got close. There's been a few people on this forum, who say Efren doesn't bank that well....I know Brumback and some of the other top bank players are better, but the man can bank whether he gets the title or not IMO!

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With the 2015 event now in the books, here's an update on multiple-event winners at the DCC.

By winning the 2015 1-Pocket event, Alex Pagulayan became the first person to win all 3 of the primary events at any time in the DCC's history (not all in the same year).

The 3 disciplines or events I am talking about are 9-Ball Banks (B), 1-Pocket (1P), and 9-Ball (9B). So I am excluding things like ring games, 14.1, and the invitational 10-ball, as well as the All-Around Champion. The total number of events being discussed here, therefore, is 51 (17 years x 3). Sixteen players have won a single event and 11 players have accounted for the other 35 events by winning 2 or more. The 11 multiple-event winners are as follows:

Six players have won 2 events:
  • John Brumback -- 2009 (B) and 2010 (B)
  • Jason Miller -- 2004 (B) and 2006 (B)
  • Dennis Orcollo -- 2011(9B) and 2014 (B)
  • Larry Price -- 2002 (B) and 2008 (B)
  • Jose Parica -- 2001 (B) and 2003 (1P)
  • Nick Varner -- 1999 (B) and 2000 (1P)

Two players have won 3 events:
  • Alex Pagulayan -- 2011 (B), 2013 (9B), and 2015 (1P)
  • Ralf Souquet -- 2004 (9B), 2006 (9B), and 2008 (9B)

One player has won 4 events:
  • Shannon Daulton -- 2000 (B), 2001 (9B), 2003 (9B), and 2015 (B)

One player has won 5 events:
  • Shane Van Boening -- 2009 (9B), 2011 (1P), 2012 (1P & 9B), and 2014 (9B)

One player has won 8 events:
  • Efren Reyes -- 1999 (1P), 2004 (1P), 2005 (1P & 9B), 2006 (1P), 2007 (1P), 2010 (9B), and 2014 (1P)

Of the 11 multiple-event winners, four players (Brumback, Miller, Price, and Souquet) won all of their titles in the same discipline. Six players -- Daulton, Orcollo, Parica, Reyes, Van Boening, and Varner -- have won titles in 2 of the 3 disciplines. And one player, Pagulayan, has won titles in all 3 disciplines. Only Reyes and Van Boening have won two events in the same year.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Orcullo has won the 9-ball, the Bigfoot, the 9-ball banks, the 14.1 event, and the Master of the Table. Needs the one pocket to say he has won everything.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Orcullo has won the 9-ball, the Bigfoot, the 9-ball banks, the 14.1 event, and the Master of the Table. Needs the one pocket to say he has won everything.

Probably also needs the bank ring game and some mini tournaments.:smile: