Two-Foul 9 Ball

I have been a lurker here for quite awhile and I've been following the 2-Foul vs. 1-Foul comparison threads with much interest. I've noticed quite a few discrepancies in the descriptions of the 2-Foul game and I thought I'd tell what I know.

First of all, "any two" means that BIH is given to the player who does not commit the 2nd consecutive foul. You do not need to be "hooked" to push-out. You can push-out anytime you want for any reason or no reason. All you need to do is commit a foul of any type and your opponent can tell you to "shoot again". If you "scratch" in a pocket and it's the 1st foul, your opponent can tell you to shoot again from behind the headstring or he can take the shot.

Some players liked to play that "all balls made on a foul spot up" but that's not a hard & fast rule. Some liked to play that "all balls made on a foul stay down" but that's up for discussion before playing.

Some liked to play that if you scratched in a pocket for the 1st foul and the lowest numbered ball was behind the headstring then it would spot-up. It would spot up behind any balls already on the footspot.

Some liked to play that only the "ball before the money" spots up on a foul. If you were playing "even" that would mean that if either player made the ball before the 9 and fouled then the ball before the 9 would spot up. Whether or not BIH was awarded was dependent upon whether or not it was the 1st or 2nd foul. Either way, the ball before the 9 would spot up.

When you were giving up "weight" it changed things a little. If you were giving up the 7 ball and your opponent scratched (in a pocket, 1st foul) after making the ball before the 7 you could make him spot it up and shoot at it (behind the line)...but, if you elected to shoot the next shot the ball he made would stay down as it was not the ball before your money ball (9). Either way, 1st or 2nd foul, if you made him shoot again, his ball before his money ball would spot up if he pocketed it and fouled. Also, if you pocketed his "money ball" (7 in this example) and fouled, it would come up on the spot in any case. You could not shoot in his money ball and foul and leave it down.

The "other" way to play "two-foul" was to play "two fouls by the same player is BIH". There are two variations of this game. The 1st is that if you push-out and then I shoot and make a good hit on the object ball your foul is erased.

A few guys liked to play that if you push-out and then I shoot and make a good hit you are still on one foul. That's a rather ridiculous way to play in that it gives the incoming player much too much power.

The entire point of two-foul 9-Ball is that the first player to foul or push-out gives up control of the table (potentially) to his opponent. That's the penalty and it's a tough one. Your penalty for getting out-of-line or making a mistake is possibly giving up control of the table. That's a huge penalty and should be the only penalty in my eyes.

With the one exception of playing "two by the same player" where guys might play you were still on a foul if you pushed-out and I make a good hit, any good hit by either player erased all fouls by both players.

I have seen this point missed on this site so I state it again: any good hit, without a foul occurring, erases any fouls for either player (except as stated above).

C.J. is correct in stating that two-foul 9-Ball is much superior to one-foul 9-Ball. Players, when faced with a tough shot will elect to shoot and take their chances rather than play a safety as you might in one-foul. There is much more offense because of this. Two-Foul is so rich in strategy that you really could write a book about it. A guy may push-out to a bankshot when he's hooked early in a set and you may tell him to "shoot again". Later in the set, with the match on the line he may push-out to the same bank that you've been telling him to shoot but this time you might take the shot. Much thinking and "daring" goes into the two-foul game.

Rarely are there more than one or two push-outs in a game between top players and even more rarely is a BIH given up. Remember, players aren't usually pushing out to a safety because their opponent can play the same one in return. They are usually pushing out to a shot of some type and that makes for a great game of offense. Almost never does a guy play a safety unless there is no option and then his opponent can play the safe and force him to push-out. Two-foul also frees up a player to take chances breaking up clusters or playing "tough" position because he knows he can always push-out if he gets hooked. You'll see many spectacular shots that one-foul players would never even attempt.

I know this is all very confusing to younger players who've grown up accustomed to one-foul BIH rules but two-foul is a much better way to play 9-Ball for a very important reason; it helps you protect your money. It doesn't matter if you are giving weight, getting weight, or playing even, it helps you protect your money. After all, that's the bottom line isn't it? Do you really want to kick at the 7 ball when you can push-out on it? Of course not.

Any questions feel free to ask away.

ONB

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good post and welcome to AZ! Like any other pool game, two-foul or pushout 9 ball is a lot more than knowing the rules to be able to play it correctly. Seems to me a lot of people who prefer the current rules never put enough study into how to play the game. One foul is much simpler and easier. If it weren't, all these people wouldn't be playing it.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
We used to play two foul 9 ball, but I don't recall ever playing by pushing out at anytime.

Good post Old 9.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way back When--we had a saying--I ain't kicking at balls for my money. Two shot was the game and it made a big difference in the game when 2 shot went away...Took away the spot shot for one thing. To play well, one needed to practice spot shots ans manuvering the cue ball in all sorts of different way to play position

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The northern part:).

I like your signature quote. That's from Fats isn't it?

ONB

It is, indeed. :thumbup: The bank he fires while saying that is one of my favorites. Force-shortening a cross-side.

I just asked in general because I am curious if some of the rules you mentioned are regional as opposed to a 'nationwide' gambler standard.

Way back When--we had a saying--I ain't kicking at balls for my money. Two shot was the game and it made a big difference in the game when 2 shot went away...Took away the spot shot for one thing. To play well, one needed to practice spot shots ans manuvering the cue ball in all sorts of different way to play position

The spot-shot was very big. You needed to be able to put the cueball anywhere on the table when shooting a spot-shot from behind the line. It is a lost talent. There were also some guys who had a tough time making a spot-shot on their money balls (9 or otherwise).

ONB

I just asked in general because I am curious if some of the rules you mentioned are regional as opposed to a 'nationwide' gambler standard.

I don't think there's ever a nationwide standard. When two guys gamble they play by the rules that are acceptable to them. I'm guessing there might be different rules in general for different regions of the country.

Generally, the only game I ever saw played was "any two & everything spots up on a foul". Both players should always want the most balls on the table in a situation where a foul has occurred.

I rarely saw good players play "balls made on a foul stay down" and only one time did I ever play anyone "two by the same player" where a good hit didn't erase both guy's fouls. That's a strange way to play in my mind and defeats the whole purpose of the pushout.

ONB

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
A few guys liked to play that if you push-out and then I shoot and make a good hit you are still on one foul. That's a rather ridiculous way to play in that it gives the incoming player much too much power.

I don't think there's ever a nationwide standard. When two guys gamble they play by the rules that are acceptable to them. I'm guessing there might be different rules in general for different regions of the country.

Generally, the only game I ever saw played was "any two & everything spots up on a foul". Both players should always want the most balls on the table in a situation where a foul has occurred.

I rarely saw good players play "balls made on a foul stay down" and only one time did I ever play anyone "two by the same player" where a good hit didn't erase both guy's fouls. That's a strange way to play in my mind and defeats the whole purpose of the pushout.

ONB

I played a lot of two shot. the rule we used was the same as the ruling that is used in the current 3 foul game.

You are still on a foul until (you) make a good hit or until that game is over.

Why should MY good hit erase a foul YOU committed?

John Brumback

Silver Member
I have been a lurker here for quite awhile and I've been following the 2-Foul vs. 1-Foul comparison threads with much interest. I've noticed quite a few discrepancies in the descriptions of the 2-Foul game and I thought I'd tell what I know.

First of all, "any two" means that BIH is given to the player who does not commit the 2nd consecutive foul. You do not need to be "hooked" to push-out. You can push-out anytime you want for any reason or no reason. All you need to do is commit a foul of any type and your opponent can tell you to "shoot again". If you "scratch" in a pocket and it's the 1st foul, your opponent can tell you to shoot again from behind the headstring or he can take the shot.

Some players liked to play that "all balls made on a foul spot up" but that's not a hard & fast rule. Some liked to play that "all balls made on a foul stay down" but that's up for discussion before playing.

Some liked to play that if you scratched in a pocket for the 1st foul and the lowest numbered ball was behind the headstring then it would spot-up. It would spot up behind any balls already on the footspot.

Some liked to play that only the "ball before the money" spots up on a foul. If you were playing "even" that would mean that if either player made the ball before the 9 and fouled then the ball before the 9 would spot up. Whether or not BIH was awarded was dependent upon whether or not it was the 1st or 2nd foul. Either way, the ball before the 9 would spot up.

When you were giving up "weight" it changed things a little. If you were giving up the 7 ball and your opponent scratched (in a pocket, 1st foul) after making the ball before the 7 you could make him spot it up and shoot at it (behind the line)...but, if you elected to shoot the next shot the ball he made would stay down as it was not the ball before your money ball (9). Either way, 1st or 2nd foul, if you made him shoot again, his ball before his money ball would spot up if he pocketed it and fouled. Also, if you pocketed his "money ball" (7 in this example) and fouled, it would come up on the spot in any case. You could not shoot in his money ball and foul and leave it down.

The "other" way to play "two-foul" was to play "two fouls by the same player is BIH". There are two variations of this game. The 1st is that if you push-out and then I shoot and make a good hit on the object ball your foul is erased.

The entire point of two-foul 9-Ball is that the first player to foul or push-out gives up control of the table (potentially) to his opponent. That's the penalty and it's a tough one. Your penalty for getting out-of-line or making a mistake is possibly giving up control of the table. That's a huge penalty and should be the only penalty in my eyes.

With the one exception of playing "two by the same player" where guys might play you were still on a foul if you pushed-out and I make a good hit, any good hit by either player erased all fouls by both players.

I have seen this point missed on this site so I state it again: any good hit, without a foul occurring, erases any fouls for either player (except as stated above).

C.J. is correct in stating that two-foul 9-Ball is much superior to one-foul 9-Ball. Players, when faced with a tough shot will elect to shoot and take their chances rather than play a safety as you might in one-foul. There is much more offense because of this. Two-Foul is so rich in strategy that you really could write a book about it. A guy may push-out to a bankshot when he's hooked early in a set and you may tell him to "shoot again". Later in the set, with the match on the line he may push-out to the same bank that you've been telling him to shoot but this time you might take the shot. Much thinking and "daring" goes into the two-foul game.

Rarely are there more than one or two push-outs in a game between top players and even more rarely is a BIH given up. Remember, players aren't usually pushing out to a safety because their opponent can play the same one in return. They are usually pushing out to a shot of some type and that makes for a great game of offense. Almost never does a guy play a safety unless there is no option and then his opponent can play the safe and force him to push-out. Two-foul also frees up a player to take chances breaking up clusters or playing "tough" position because he knows he can always push-out if he gets hooked. You'll see many spectacular shots that one-foul players would never even attempt.

I know this is all very confusing to younger players who've grown up accustomed to one-foul BIH rules but two-foul is a much better way to play 9-Ball for a very important reason; it helps you protect your money. It doesn't matter if you are giving weight, getting weight, or playing even, it helps you protect your money. After all, that's the bottom line isn't it? Do you really want to kick at the 7 ball when you can push-out on it? Of course not.

Any questions feel free to ask away.

ONB

I'm old too,lol and this is the way I grew up playing 9ball. One foul went ahead and put 9ball in it's coffin.Took the best part and most of the skill out of the game. John B.

PS: most kids nowadays have never even shot a spot shot. Let alone have to get shape from one.

I played a lot of two shot. the rule we used was the same as the ruling that is used in the current 3 foul game.

You are still on a foul until (you) make a good hit or until that game is over.

Why should MY good hit erase a foul YOU committed?

You didn't specify which version of two-foul you played. If you were playing "two by the same player" I clearly wrote that sometimes guys would play that I was still on a foul if I pushed and you made a good hit.

Some guys did not play that way but it didn't really matter because all the good players were playing "any two" anyway. Only weak players played "two by the same player".

Playing "any two" that (being on a foul after a good hit) is not ever the case. When playing "any two" it means any two fouls in a row by either or both players is BIH. Once either player makes a good hit the "two in a row" possibility is gone and you start over with no fouls on either player.

Players can play any way they want, I just told you how I liked to play.

ONB

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice post...

Thanks for the post. That really cleared some things up for me. I think I'm gonna try to find somebody to play this game with.

I'll have to match it up similar to One Pocket. Rule being if you are 10 or more years older than me I have to have a couple balls. :thumbup:

Thanks for the post. That really cleared some things up for me. I think I'm gonna try to find somebody to play this game with.

You are very welcome for the post. Let me give you (and anyone else) a trial by fire:).

Let's say that you & I have known each other for years and we are playing "any two fouls is BIH and everything spots up". We are playing "even".

I just broke dry and it's your inning at the table. What do you do here? There are one or two possible pushes but they are equally valid for different reasons.

Assume we are playing a race to 7 for an amount you don't want to lose. It's game #13 and you have a decision to make. What will it be?

ONB

Table Layout Diagram  BilliardsTheGame2.jpg

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot the combo on the nine and stop the cue there--the 9 goes up behind the 6 on the spot--and take my chances on the kick on the 1 afterwards--unless my opponent wants it.
May even draw the ball back after making the combo up to where the 5 is--but that would give the next gent the easy duck by stopping the cue on the 7 afterwards.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
I would push out and in doing so, make the 3/9 combo and then position the cb on the long rail so I could then attempt to cut the 1 into the corner by the 5 if you made me shoot again. If not, it is still a tough shot for you.

This would also give me position for the 2 if I made it and a possible run of the rest of the balls.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are very welcome for the post. Let me give you (and anyone else) a trial by fire:).

Let's say that you & I have known each other for years and we are playing "any two fouls is BIH and everything spots up". We are playing "even".

I just broke dry and it's your inning at the table. What do you do here? There are one or two possible pushes but they are equally valid for different reasons.

Assume we are playing a race to 7 for an amount you don't want to lose. It's game #13 and you have a decision to make. What will it be?

ONB

View attachment 302996

Iam going to push out, pocketing the 9 ball!

Baltimore we played 2 foul bih, so who ever pushed out the next shot had to be a good hit or it was bih.

I was taught to always push out looking to play a safe off of it, so if i pushed out i was hopeing my opponent would take the shot and try to make it, but if he gave the shot back to me i would always play a safe off of my push!

And also a lot of us played, spot the money ball in one before the money ball.

When i was spotting some one weight, say the 6 ball and i know i couldld get out , i would push out and pocket the 7 or 8 ball, then do it again, now this lessen my spot i was giving, now this was when we were not spotting all balls, which we did most of the time!

Baltimore we played 2 foul bih, so who ever pushed out the next shot had to be a good hit or it was bih.Must've been playing "any two".

I was taught to always push out looking to play a safe off of it, so if i pushed out i was hopeing my opponent would take the shot and try to make it, but if he gave the shot back to me i would always play a safe off of my push!If the right thing for you to do was to play a safe why would your opponent take the shot and try to make it?

When i was spotting some one weight, say the 6 ball and i know i couldld<<<what does this word mean? get out , i would push out and pocket the 7 or 8 ball, then do it againWouldn't it be your opponent's shot after you shot in the 7 or 8? How could you do it again?, now this lessen my spot i was giving, now this was when we were not spotting all balls, which we did most of the time!

I do wish you would explain your post so I could understand it. Thanks.

ONB

Baltimore we played 2 foul bih, so who ever pushed out the next shot had to be a good hit or it was bih.

I was taught to always push out looking to play a safe off of it, so if i pushed out i was hopeing my opponent would take the shot and try to make it, but if he gave the shot back to me i would always play a safe off of my push!

When i was spotting some one weight, say the 6 ball and i know i couldld get out , i would push out and pocket the 7 or 8 ball, then do it again, now this lessen my spot i was giving, now this was when we were not spotting all balls, which we did most of the time!

Exactly right. I do wish you could explain your last sentence. I don't understand it. I'm probably getting too old.

ONB