Anyone watch Efren Reyes yesterday

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On POV Efren played this youngster that was totally embarrassing for POV. Efren won 9-0. I don't think the opponent took 15 shots the whole match. Must have been nerves for the awful misses. Was on 3pm est.

Then the announcer begged the opponent to play another set of several games with Efren because there was a lot of time left. . He wanted no part of it. Just a real bad match up.

Efren played very well although his warm up was quite off.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy was nervous. He had chances, but couldn't focus on the match. He missed couple shots with ball in hand.
Efren played well, but he didn't stay still when he shoot, and raise his head.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched a bit of that Colin match. That guy Colin was pretty good. Anyone know what was score in the end?:D

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy was nervous. He had chances, but couldn't focus on the match. He missed couple shots with ball in hand.
Efren played well, but he didn't stay still when he shoot, and raise his head.

Yeah he started with body english in warm ups. But he is a beautiful human being. So likable.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During his 8-ball match with Colin, Efren made a safety only Efren would attempt and execute.

After Colin's missed attempt on the 8, Efren was left with a table-length shot on his last stripe ball, which was a few inches off the long rail maybe a diamond-and-a-half away from the corner pocket. Unfortunately, the 8 rolled directly between the CB and the stripe ball. Efren slow-kicked the CB two rails and hit the correct side of the OB with just the right speed such that the OB rested in between the CB and 8-ball after both the CB and OB contacted the rails. Any other player would call a pocket, kick at it to make sure they hit it, and hope for the best.

It reminded me of the two-rail kick he made against Grabe in the WPC 2 years ago, but this was more impressive in a way because he had to hit the correct side of the OB. But then again, the safety against Grabe involved a bit more pressure.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On POV Efren played this youngster that was totally embarrassing for POV. Efren won 9-0. I don't think the opponent took 15 shots the whole match. Must have been nerves for the awful misses. Was on 3pm est.

Then the announcer begged the opponent to play another set of several games with Efren because there was a lot of time left. . He wanted no part of it. Just a real bad match up.

He knew he would lose - and he played 2 sets. Afterward he got several items autographed by Efren.

He wasn't matching up. He was paying to the opportunity to play with Efren.

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
Really

I don't see the match as embarrassing rather a true look at the difference in skill level between the two players. The honest truth is there are a lot of players Efren would make look like that. The kid took a chance to play one of the greatest players this game has ever had under the lights and pressure of the stream. I'm sure it is a memory he will cherish forever. I myself enjoy watching Efren play no matter who his opponent is because there is always that shot during the match that makes me say wow.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He knew he would lose - and he played 2 sets. Afterward he got several items autographed by Efren.

He wasn't matching up. He was paying to the opportunity to play with Efren.

Kudos to the kid for jumping up and playing.

"Embarrassing?" Give us a break!
How is it embarrassing to match up with one of the
best players to ever have played?

This is the kind of 'heart' we have lost.
Everyone wants the 'nuts' in order to play.
Okay, so maybe the kid knew he was out-matched, but by playing and
being grateful after the match by getting some autographs, the kid was
just as CLASSY as Efren.

We need this kind of exposure for pool.
Some of you might want to reconsider the fact that the kid was 'embarrassing." Try again.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

just as CLASSY as Efren.

Some of you might want to reconsider the fact that the kid was 'embarrassing." Try again.

Exactly. How much would a high profile golfer charge to play a round with him? More than $100 dollars I'm sure.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there... Efren looked a little tired (or sleepy) but one shot stood out... he tried to get position on a hooked 8 ball.. called the opposite corner and kicked it in... nothing but net.
A Magician moment... priceless. The kid was there to learn from the best... playing Efren in a live stream? Kudos.. that's some seasoning.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw the first match vs Marco.

What was the score on the 2nd match vs Collin. Preview seems
like he played a lot more pool than Marco.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

just as CLASSY as Efren.

tap tap tap

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was table #6 at HT. I've seen on stream a lot of A players looking like APA 5's on that tough sub 4" pockets table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played parica 3x.
2x, i made me look helpless.
lik duty told me: he wins a lot of games because hes parica.

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
Saw the first match vs Marco.

What was the score on the 2nd match vs Collin. Preview seems
like he played a lot more pool than Marco.

I honestly had to leave halfway but when I logged back people were saying 9-1 first set and 9-2 the second against colin

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The kid commentated with Daniel on Sunday's stream and apparently plays in the West L.A. area. He warmed up with Collin and played OK. However, when he played Efren he was just totally intimidated. He was just not the same player I watched warming up. He missed a short BIH shot that made you feel sorry for him. I guess you can call it the "Efren Factor." At least he stepped up and gets "props" for that.

I had to be in LA in the morning and decided to stop by Hard Times to get my Efren "magic" fix. As usual an hour turned into much more but it was worth it seeing some old friends as well as Efren.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During his 8-ball match with Colin, Efren made a safety only Efren would attempt and execute.

After Colin's missed attempt on the 8, Efren was left with a table-length shot on his last stripe ball, which was a few inches off the long rail maybe a diamond-and-a-half away from the corner pocket. Unfortunately, the 8 rolled directly between the CB and the stripe ball. Efren slow-kicked the CB two rails and hit the correct side of the OB with just the right speed such that the OB rested in between the CB and 8-ball after both the CB and OB contacted the rails. Any other player would call a pocket, kick at it to make sure they hit it, and hope for the best.

It reminded me of the two-rail kick he made against Grabe in the WPC 2 years ago, but this was more impressive in a way because he had to hit the correct side of the OB. But then again, the safety against Grabe involved a bit more pressure.
I found the video of the safety here against Colin.

And correction, that kick safe he played in the 2014 WPC was against Boyes, not Grabe.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not at all embarrassed for the kid nor the POV. He got up there and got a chance to shoot on the table with Efren. And he had a couple things autographed so it's all good for him.