Strickland's thick grip

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's sad to me that he's so focused on this stuff considering he was beating the world at one point with a pos cuetec

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's tennis wrap...he had it about 3 inches thick. I wonder if that cue is under 25 ounces. Not supposed to be over.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Clark McConnachy, the great New Zealand English Billiards player, won his last world
championship in his 70s.
The average weight for a billiard cue back then was under 16 ounces....
...as Clark got older, he started using a heavier cue...eventually, it was over 20 ounces.

He was making allowances for his aging body.

......so is Earl....I congratulate Earl for striving and innovating....
...if he wins another world title, I'm gonna corner the market on tennis grips.

pt....has already invested heavily in in ear muffs

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what he does looks short of ridiculous with the weighs and all, but I'm sure there is a valid reason he feels he needs them. Nobody would put on those a** weights unless there was some sort of valid reason to do so. I don't think it is for show because that just doesn't make sense. It only has to offer some sort of improvement for him.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what he does looks short of ridiculous with the weighs and all, but I'm sure there is a valid reason he feels he needs them. Nobody would put on those a** weights unless there was some sort of valid reason to do so. I don't think it is for show because that just doesn't make sense. It only has to offer some sort of improvement for him.

In an interview, he said he uses the weights, the cue, the commentary, and the splints as a way of distracting his opponents without actively doing anything illegal. He first noticed back in 2009 that his opponents would look more at him while shooting than at the table. This gave him a great advantage just kidding I don't know what I'm talking about.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people made fun of his longer cue, then a lot of players bought extensions, Shane seems to think they make a difference.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been said before, but Earl's playing ability has not dropped off much at all. When gets it going he is still as good as anybody in the world- did anybody see his match against Appleton in the Make It Happen 10 ball event months ago? He shot something like a .950. It was some of the best pool I've ever seen played. It is a shame he can't keep his head on straight.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a similar fat grip on my putter and I really like it. Might buy a junk cue from the pawn shop just to try it out!

Honestly, it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks besides Earl. I stopped caring what equipment my opponent was using a long time ago when I got my ass kicked by a dude that played with a neon green, flame-stickered, p.o.s cue.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a recent picture of his cue?

I have seen the warspear wrapped in tennis wrap a few months back, I wonder ig he has still found a way to go more over board with it :grin:

I must admit that I enjoy watching him play world class pool with all that weird equipment he seems to like so much :) I wonder how he would do if someone handed him a basic 58" Schon to play with :wink:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a similar fat grip on my putter and I really like it. Might buy a junk cue from the pawn shop just to try it out!

Honestly, it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks besides Earl. I stopped caring what equipment my opponent was using a long time ago when I got my ass kicked by a dude that played with a neon green, flame-stickered, p.o.s cue.

I had a guy with a Budweiser cue flat out destroy me in a regional event....I never look at sticks anymore either.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... did anybody see his match against Appleton in the Make It Happen 10 ball event months ago? He shot something like a .950. It was some of the best pool I've ever seen played. ...

Actually, it was .975, the highest (by a little) of the 32 TPAs in the event. He missed one shot and took one intentional foul in that match.

But he lost 3 of his other 4 matches in the event, with a TPA average of .840 in those matches.

Some stats on that event can be found here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=414086