Bob Byrne's Personal 9' Table

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Not seeing a lot of traction in the FS section on this so I thought because it is Bob Byrne, one of the most celebrated billiard authors (and other publications), maybe others would be interested. Look here for details: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=430220.

It is my understanding that if someone would go to his home and pick this up, he and his wife would be happy to negotiate price. I'm sure the buyer could get a picture of Bob by the table and a LOA to prove it was his for many years...maybe even an autographed book or dvd. :)

I would think that if you had the means, this could be a money maker for resale.

Thanks,
Dave

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is really an interesting post

i was not aware mr byrne was still around

a thread about him would really be interesting to read
his books are certainly good

dc

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is really an interesting post

i was not aware mr byrne was still around

a thread about him would really be interesting to read
his books are certainly good

dc

His books, movies and personality all rank up there pretty high. :)

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is he selling? I hope he's well. When I was a youngster, I read his book so many times I wore it out and had to buy a new one.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Why is he selling? I hope he's well. When I was a youngster, I read his book so many times I wore it out and had to buy a new one.

Robert Byrne was born in 1930.....table is not going to get much use when you're 86.

I'm pretty sure I own every book he wrote...even the non-pool ones.
We had a long conversation at the New Orleans trade show...while watching Raymond
Ceulemans and Dick Jaspers play 3-cushion on a Verhoven...Robert is a modest man...
...but every time he was being too modest, I would throw in a zinger....like he mentioned
how much better the masters played...so I reminded him about when he played Raymond
in his own club in Belgium....won the lag and ran eight....Raymond looked at his customers and said with a big smile "This man can PLAY."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He had a stroke a few months ago. He seems to be doing pretty well -- I talked to him two weeks ago. He plans to attend the next Verhoeven Open at Carom Cafe in Flushing the first week of August.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had a stroke a few months ago. He seems to be doing pretty well -- I talked to him two weeks ago. He plans to attend the next Verhoeven Open at Carom Cafe in Flushing the first week of August.

I didn't know that.

re: age
Yeah, I guess he's getting up there, but he's almost like the Dick Clark of Pool. In the last interview I saw with him, to me he looked/sounded about the same as I remember....but with whiter hair. I wish him well.

JC

Coos Cues
I will donate $200 toward buying this table for Dr. Dave. All he's giving to the pool world the least we could do is get him a decent table.

I'm sure RKC will pick it up and bring it to Colorado for us:smile:

JC

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob,

I'm sure that Mr. Byrne knows this, but please convey to Bob the regards of the whole group. The man is a giant and pioneer in billiard instruction, and he has had a huge impact on so many of us.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will donate $200 toward buying this table for Dr. Dave. All he's giving to the pool world the least we could do is get him a decent table.

I'm sure RKC will pick it up and bring it to Colorado for us:smile:

JC

I can't really explain why, but it does seem somewhat fitting that Bob or Dave end up with this. Bob was even cited in his book.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't really explain why, but it does seem somewhat fitting that Bob or Dave end up with this. Bob was even cited in his book.

Does he HAVE the rubber mallet from the book McGoordy........I would buy that......for those of you who know what I am talking about. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Does he HAVE the rubber mallet from the book McGoordy........I would buy that......for those of you who know what I am talking about. :)

I'm not recalling the rubber mallet....I think I know what it's for, though.
I knew an old-time champion that walk around the table hitting the cushions with a rubber mallet any time he was doing an exhibition on new cloth.....to liven the rubber.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not recalling the rubber mallet....I think I know what it's for, though.
I knew an old-time champion that walk around the table hitting the cushions with a rubber mallet any time he was doing an exhibition on new cloth.....to liven the rubber.

no this was used in the doctors office to help with an std....It still lives vividly in my imagination....much to my displeasure.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you're talking about, but it reminds me of a Buddy Hackett joke:

"And boy, did the wax shoot out of my ears..."

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
H Guys, thanks for the interest. I was out of pocket for the day so this is my first chance to see the replies.

As others have said, Bob is 86 and simply does not have the need for this table and it's taking up a lot of space that could be used for his wife's studio (she's an artist) among other uses. Yes, Bob had a stroke last October I believe and he is doing much better but moving slow. But that could simply be because he's 86 :eek:

I visited Bob and his wife last week while returning from Detroit in my car, it was great to catch up and play some 3-cushion with him. When he mentioned that they were going to sell the table I asked him to send me pics and particulars and I would post it on facebook and on AZB, so I did. If someone could pick it up, I'm sure they could get a smokin' deal although $1500 is a great buy as it is.

I will pass on your well wishes of the community to Bob, I'm sure he will be touched and they would be appreciated.

Now let's get this sold!!!!

It's interesting that a few people mentioned, Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett; when I told Dr. Dave I was seeing Bob he insisted on giving me his 8-series DVDs that featured Mr. Jewett. Bob loved receiving it and Dr. Dave's note saying Bob was still his billiard hero.

Thanks again for looking,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I remember that joke. I think it was on Johnny Carson. (He was a talk show host in the previous millenium, for you young people.) I believe the process was accompanied by the phrase, "Mooshie, mooshie." Perhaps related to the cue of a similar name.

As for the table, Bob Byrne ran a 70-something on it in his 70s. As I recall, he beat me the last time we played straight pool, and it was on that table. He had a 50-something.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Ahhh... the ol' wax job 😫...
When I was running an 8 ball league I bought every player a copy of Byrnes Standard Book of
Pool and Billiards, that I handed out at our end of season banquet.
One of the better league players approached me and said that I just gave away his advantage.
He had the book and said, Now everyone was going to play better.