Which carbon shaft

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m considering ordering my first carbon shaft. I’m considering the Jacoby black, the meucci carbon or the go2. I’m getting a 30” whichever I get. I’ve heard a lot of good on the blacks & the go2. What’s everyone’s thoughts. The only thing I don’t like about the go2 is the wait time lol.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m considering ordering my first carbon shaft. I’m considering the Jacoby black, the meucci carbon or the go2. I’m getting a 30” whichever I get. I’ve heard a lot of good on the blacks & the go2. What’s everyone’s thoughts. The only thing I don’t like about the go2 is the wait time lol.
Well, first you have to decide about tip diameter and taper. I had not tried any of these shafts you mentioned but having those reviews I've heard about GO-2, Jacoby black and Meucci my choice would be GO-2. Why? Well to be short overall it meets my preferences the best and I'm looking forward to give it a try one day but as it was mentioned the best way is to try first and than decide.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
None

If you can't run a 5-pack with a maple shaft, you won't be able to with carbon

If you can, why would you change??

Every good player I know who has bought a Revo has dumped it, the feel just isn't there

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a matter of personal preference so I'd recommend either going to a trade show and seeing if some of the vendors there have one's that you can try out or ask around to your friends and or other players you know and try the different styles.

I purchased a Revo, shot with it for a while, tried a Jacoby while I had my Revo and it didn't suit me and then tried a Becue and liked it a great deal.

Ended up selling the Revo and currently use the Becue - but it all comes down to feel and what you like personally.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with a cuetec because of the 12.5 diameter and the longer taper. Unfortunately it won't meet your spec of 30"

But I really like it and will probably stay with it.

mannylasker

Registered
Had a REVO for about a year. Switched to a Cynergy. Like it a lot. Sold the REVO.

My opinion only; I prefer the sound, the hit, the ferrule and the taper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Mezz, Becue, Revo 12.4. In that order. Meucci has had quality issues that deeply concern me. There have been several people who received warped shafts. They are cored with wood and surrounded my carbon fiber. I don't know enough about the Gos

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz, Becue, Revo 12.4. In that order. Meucci has had quality issues that deeply concern me. There have been several people who received warped shafts. They are cored with wood and surrounded my carbon fiber. I don't know enough about the Gos

Kind of weird that the subject and talk about the carbon fiber Meucci shafts on the

facebook site has been really quiet lately.

Yeah they did change the sizes available. To be honest, I think the real reason is---

instead of millimeters they are making them to American fraction sizes then changing

the size to millimeters.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None

If you can't run a 5-pack with a maple shaft, you won't be able to with carbon

If you can, why would you change??

Every good player I know who has bought a Revo has dumped it, the feel just isn't there

stupid / false analogy and not true at all... but please continue spouting that garbage...

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a REVO for about a year. Switched to a Cynergy. Like it a lot. Sold the REVO.
My opinion only; I prefer the sound, the hit, the ferrule and the taper.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 12.9 Revo's for almost 2 years... hit with the Cynergy prototypes and knew immediately I would switch at some point. More of a solid less pingy hit... less deflection IMO.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Yeah they did change the sizes available. To be honest, I think the real reason is---

instead of millimeters they are making them to American fraction sizes then changing

the size to millimeters.

And what advantage/benefit do you think that has?

The systems are doable with any measuring device (imperial or metric), you just need a calculator and remember that 25.4 is your conversion. :thumbup:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy has been waiting for his Jacoby black for about 3 months, and it showed up yesterday. He brought it over to try it out, and I am VERY impressed. I think it's about a 12.3mm?, threaded for a 3/8x10 pin to fit his McDermott cue.

We did some deflection testing alongside my Lucasi 11.75mm LD maple shafts and found the deflection to be identical. Not similar, but identical. I found it pretty crazy that the Jacoby with it's larger diameter shaft has such small deflection compared to mine. The taper was similar on the 2 shafts, a little longer on the Jacoby (shaft is thinner closer to the joint than on the Lucasi, think they are both "Pro" taper).

I really wanted to punch holes in this thing, but I can't. Seems like a great shaft. Super smooth/slick, to the point of almost being hard to hold on to. Super stiff, but you don't seem to notice it until the follow through. It's not "fragile" feeling like most really stiff cues. The fit and finish was 100%, I could find no blemish anywhere.

Not sure what my point is, just wanted to throw up an initial first impression from an impartial 3rd party. Hopefully it helps someone that's on the fence, one way or another. Bit too rich for my blood, but I'll be keeping my eyes out for a used one in the next few years.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe, although my testing is not complete to give a definte answer, but I believe that all CF shafts will play differently after 1000 hours of play because it's the filing material which will change/breakdown/loosen/alter over time and therefore effect the hit/feel/performance of the shaft.

Now, depending on what brand of CF shaft you are looking at, there are different filling materials being utilized in order to fill the hollow void that is the CF shaft. Only time will tell which filling material will be best for the long term. I have a hunch but I can't say for sure to give a definite answer.

However, players will start to notice a difference in their CF shaft in time....with some filling material it might be as little as 300 hours of use....with others it might go 1,000+....but again, the tech is too new to give defined answers. Shafts go through a lot of abuse. Even wood shafts have a shelf life under heavy play, and so will carbon fiber.

Now, if you were a sponsored pro and you get new shafts at any time...CF will be just fine because you are playing with a fresh cue at request. But if you are investing in a one time shaft, be aware, there will be a change over time and that's where I think the business model will be for CF shaft sales in the future. But will also lead to a lot of false reports and speculation. If a player hits with a year old predator revo that was heavily used, then picks up a fresh Cuetec and hits with it and likes the sound and feel better....it might be because of the filing material breakdown and not the initial construction.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what advantage/benefit do you think that has?

The systems are doable with any measuring device (imperial or metric), you just need a calculator and remember that 25.4 is your conversion. :thumbup:

Well there was no advantage except an American company is not familiar with metric.

So they used American fractions then converted the measurements to Millimeters

'cause that's what everyone uses when it comes to shafts.

I enjoy using my 1/2 inch diameter shaft.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well there was no advantage except an American company is not familiar with metric.

So they used American fractions then converted the measurements to Millimeters

'cause that's what everyone uses when it comes to shafts.

I enjoy using my 1/2 inch diameter shaft.

12.75mm shaft equals .5019 in the imperial measurement system. Im pretty sure their American reading micrometers are capable of making a .502 shaft.

Just like every one elses is. :thumbup: