1987 Brunswick World Open 9-Ball Quarter Finals: McCready v. Reyes

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like singing Freddy Fender's "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights," because ever since I learned this morning how to convert video files to then upload on YouTube, I can't stop myself. It is a time-consuming process.

This was a match that went to the double-hill, and it's a really, really good match. The video quality is not professional, but this one is a real beauty.

Both players are dressed to the nines. Each one lags for the break wearing their tuxedos. :grin-square:

The tournament took place at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada. Steve Mitzerak and another man named "Barry," whose voice I don't recognize, are commentating. They said Efren had just defeated Keith back in L.A. the week before at another tournament, and he had just come to the United States 3 years ago. Thjey said Efren was playing with a cuestick that cost $15. :eek:

Lot of players in the audience: Dan Louie, a very young Dennis Hatch, Johnny Archer, Buddy Hall, Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews, et cetera.

I have already converted and am uploading to YouTube now. I hope they let me post 39 minutes of it.

I can't wait to put all my pool videos on YouTube. :cool:

I'm so excited. Can you tell? :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Here's the link: 1987 Brunswick World Open 9-Ball, McCready v. Reyes

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,

thanks for taking the time to post these videos. I am watching the bar table match right now. NO ONE floats around the table any smoother than Keith.

Reactions: JAM
Finally.

I feel like singing Freddy Fender's "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights," because ever since I learned this morning how to convert video files to then upload on YouTube, I can't stop myself. It is a time-consuming process.

This was a match that went to the double-hill, and it's a really, really good match. The video quality is not professional, but this one is a real beauty.

Both players are dressed to the nines. Each one lags for the break wearing their tuxedos. :grin-square:

The tournament took place at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada. Steve Mitzerak and another man named "Barry," whose voice I don't recognize, are commentating. They said Efren had just defeated Keith back in L.A. the week before at another tournament, and he had just come to the United States 3 years ago. Thjey said Efren was playing with a cuestick that cost $15. :eek:

Lot of players in the audience: Dan Louie, a very young Dennis Hatch, Johnny Archer, Buddy Hall, Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews, et cetera.

I have already converted and am uploading to YouTube now. I hope they let me post 39 minutes of it.

Quite sad that because Keith played before the digital revolution, most people would never be aware of how strong Keith played. In today's world, the word of mouth legend can only last so long. Adding these videos is an important historical step towards immortalizing Keith McCready. Bravo.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is awesome! Great match, looking forward to seeing everything else you have to put up. I've seen so little of Keith, it's a joy to watch him play in his prime. Thank you a million times! :smile:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Jen!! I don't know how anyone can watch Keith play and not get their stroke loosened up. LOL!!

fool4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam,

Thanks in advance!

U have made some great posts since I became a member.
Can't help but feel a bit envious about your ability to tackle the uploading
of files to Youtube.

Will U B at the Mosconi Cup?
Perhaps you could show me a few tips for uploading something myself.

Best Regards,
The Fool4Pool,
Noel

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Awesome!! Thank you for posting this!! Very cool!:)

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I really appreciate you sharing the videos. You give great insight on a legend that otherwise we wouldn't know. Thank you again and I hope you and Keith the best

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Bwahaha...Gotta love Keith! This match goes 8-8 and is over in 39 minutes. I know it was edited but still, the grass doesn't grow under his feet. The match with Earl went hill hill going to 11 and was over in under an hour - unedited.:thumbup:

How can anyone not just love watching him play?! Thanks for the link, Jam. I subscribed to your channel. ;)

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Great video, Jam! Two of the smoothest players out there.
Watching them stroke the ball on that slow cloth is a real treat.
On fast cloth these days, everyone's just bunting the balls around, but back then you needed a real stroke to move that cue ball around.

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this Jam. Keith has always been my favorite player!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's too bad how many of those older videos end up with quality issues due to recording tech at the time. Even if recorded well, tape at 240 lines is not the best thing to work with as it gets old hehe. I have some great TV matches but some are so messed up they are unwatchable, sound issue, VHS tape scrolling. Great to see this older match, thanks for uploading it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks Jam, you bring back some good memories for me. Along with Pat Fleming I directed that tournament. Barry Tompkins was the TV commentator. During that match I was in the television truck working with the director. Efren did beat Keith at the Peter Vitalie Invitational a few weeks prior to this.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for posting that Jam. I love watching Keith play in his prime, his pressense at the table and style of play is about as exciting as pool can get IMO.

I look forward to seeing all of the matches you have of him shooting in the early days. Video of a young Keith playing pool are so hard to come by.

ac11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Holy crap! You're the best! Keith has always been my favorite player...more videos please! Hehe

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Keith McCready was Keith McCready...

His position play was excellent.

Ken