Mental Game

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you block out all the distractions from your personal life? Whether relationships, work, or other stuff going on that may be on your mind.

I've got a decent stroke, good fundamentals and knowledge of the game; but last night was the worst I shot in a long time and I just couldn't stay completely focused.

I go from being able to run racks one day to dogging every other shot the next day. I feel like I'm so close to stepping my game up to the next level and then last night happened and my confidence seems to be at an all time low now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you block out all the distractions from your personal life? Whether relationships, work, or other stuff going on that may be on your mind.

I've got a decent stroke, good fundamentals and knowledge of the game; but last night was the worst I shot in a long time and I just couldn't stay completely focused.

I go from being able to run racks one day to dogging every other shot the next day. I feel like I'm so close to stepping my game up to the next level and then last night happened and my confidence seems to be at an all time low now.

You'll probably get a hundred different takes on this, but here's mine. I call it "flipping the switch". I have a physical trigger that clears my head of everything. I can talk, BS, joke, tell stories, whatever I want to do between shots. When I go into my preshot routine, I instantly start to "quiet my mind". I plan my shot, my CB path and target and chalk my cue. When I tap that cube of chalk on the table, my mind is completely EMPTY. I can't really tell you what I do after that. I mean, I KNOW what I do, but only because it's a burned in process, but I have almost no memory of what's going on with the shot until I see the result of the shot.

When you have things going on in your personal life, you HAVE to be able to block them out during your shooting routine. If you don't, then they're going to creep into the game like little gremlins and upset everything you do. That leads to inconsistency.

I played last night... fun night we call it, where 7 or 8 of us get together and do everything from one on one matchups to blind draw scotch doubles (we play cheap on Wed night... it is, as I said, fun night). On Wednesday night, I tap that chalk on the table and turn off my conscious brain EVERY SHOT! I play "fun night" just as hard as I would a tournament.

Now, I know people who can shut their conscious brains off for the entire match. I can't! It wears me out. If I do this, then at the end of the first match of a tournament, I'm wasted! I feel tired, I'm worn down, physically and mentally. But if I just "shut down" from the time the chalk hits the table until the time the last ball quits rolling, then I'm fine. I can play long sessions, keep my "focus" throughout an entire tournament. It just takes less mental energy, in my opinion, to work my brain this way.

Learning to do this is easy. You just decide exactly WHAT you want your physical trigger to be. I'll tell you how I burned in my trigger. First, I sat at home alone, in my recliner, with a piece of chalk in my hand. I would settle my mind as much as I could, then pick a tiny spec on the wall. I'd focus my eyes intently on that spec, then tap the cube of chalk on the end table two times and lay it down. I did this every day... in a few days, I could tap that chalk and it seemed that nothing existed but that spec on on the wall. Then I took it to the table. I'd go through my preshot routine up to the point that I chalked the cue, then when I tapped that chalk twice on the table, everything disappeared from my mind and I'd execute the shot.

One important thing... when you develop a good switch and a good mental process, it's easy to fall out of it, especially if you miss a shot that you KNOW you should have made. NEVER, EVER put value on a shot. Don't think of missing as a BAD or EVIL thing... just consider it a result. Not a good result, not a bad result, just the result of your actions. If you put "good and bad" labels on it, then pretty soon, you're going to talk yourself into dogging easy shots. I love it when I'm playing someone and they miss an easy shot and say something like "I can't hit a bull in the a$$ with a barn door.", because I know they're setting themselves up to lose.

When i shoot a shot, make it or not, I simply nod my head, then either walk to my chair or walk to the next shot (hopefully most times it's walking to the next shot.

Now, I know this has probably been beat to death in pool circles, but find a copy of the book "The Inner Game of Tennis"... READ IT... SEVERAL TIMES! There is a lot of great "pool" information in the book and it covers the mental game from a great aspect.

Bob

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
"Pleasures of small motions" and " the inner game of tennis"

Enjoy reading it- will help you for your whole pool-life and more imo :)

lg
Ingo

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, Credit where Credit is due... I developed my method of building a physical switch based on GREAT information I got at RandyG's Pool School. Invaluable experience, to say the least. I've been there MANY times to help teach, but 4 times as a student. Intermediate Class, Expert Class, BCA Instructor Certification and an Instructor Upgrade. Fantastic pool school (in my opinion, the best there is) and Randy is a great teacher and someone I consider to be among my friends.

Bob

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several ways to do this but here is one that works .. with practice.

First identify what is bothering you. This may not be as easy as it seems.
If you have a difficult time stating to yourself what is bothering you list three possible things that could be bothering you. The idea is don’t try to be right, that is when we hide things, list three that could be the source of your distractions. When you think about each in turn something will “pop up” and you can tell by the way it makes you feel uncomfortable or the way you too quickly say to yourself, “It is NOT that.”

OK so you have identified the problem. Now tell yourself when you will address the issue – after the match. The trick here is that you cannot lie to yourself. If you do, the trick will not work next time because you know that you are only tricking yourself.

Addressing the issue doe not mean solving the issue. It only means that you will try to identify a few possible solutions and will try to see if one of them works.

It is all head games, but head games in which you cannot lie to yourself.

If you follow through on your self made promises you can defer issues until a more convenient time.

Your unconscious already knows how you are and it may be willing to give this option a try if you are sincere.

---
Just a little help from your local friendly shrink.:D I have used this technique with many "patients" and it does work.

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the advice.

I am reading "Pleasures of Small Motions" and I'm working on it. It's been a long process but it's not coming along as fast as my skills.

I am currently taking lessons at the Georgia Billiard Academy. I seem to be shooting better than I ever have (decision making, shot making, safeties, stroke and fundamentals) but I feel the thing holding back my game is the Mental side.

When I'm shooting good I feel like I can beat anyone. Break n run rack after rack and my confidence is through the roof. But other days I start missing shots I shouldn't and then I start thinking too much. I try to correct one thing and 2 more things go wrong. I fix those 2 things and the first thing is wrong. I played a match last week I should of won, but if my routine wasn't off it was jumping up on the shot, if it wasn't jumping up on the shot it was one stroking it, if I wasn't one stroking it I wasn't following through, if I wasn't following through I just didn't take the time to get lined up correctly. Then I pull it together and run 8 balls just to rattle the 9.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member

i play pool and golf to get away from my personal problems......;)
focus comes from taking the game more seriously from a mental aspect. if you're just there to "bang some balls around" you will most likely do more harm than good for your game. if you make a strong effort in absorbing yourself in all aspects and details of the shots you are playing, your level of concentration will be naturally higher, and blocking out any distractions will be automatic.
best of luck

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You'll probably get a hundred different takes on this, but here's mine. I call it "flipping the switch". I have a physical trigger that clears my head of everything. I can talk, BS, joke, tell stories, whatever I want to do between shots. When I go into my preshot routine, I instantly start to "quiet my mind". I plan my shot, my CB path and target and chalk my cue. When I tap that cube of chalk on the table, my mind is completely EMPTY. I can't really tell you what I do after that. I mean, I KNOW what I do, but only because it's a burned in process, but I have almost no memory of what's going on with the shot until I see the result of the shot.

When you have things going on in your personal life, you HAVE to be able to block them out during your shooting routine. If you don't, then they're going to creep into the game like little gremlins and upset everything you do. That leads to inconsistency.

I played last night... fun night we call it, where 7 or 8 of us get together and do everything from one on one matchups to blind draw scotch doubles (we play cheap on Wed night... it is, as I said, fun night). On Wednesday night, I tap that chalk on the table and turn off my conscious brain EVERY SHOT! I play "fun night" just as hard as I would a tournament.

Now, I know people who can shut their conscious brains off for the entire match. I can't! It wears me out. If I do this, then at the end of the first match of a tournament, I'm wasted! I feel tired, I'm worn down, physically and mentally. But if I just "shut down" from the time the chalk hits the table until the time the last ball quits rolling, then I'm fine. I can play long sessions, keep my "focus" throughout an entire tournament. It just takes less mental energy, in my opinion, to work my brain this way.

Learning to do this is easy. You just decide exactly WHAT you want your physical trigger to be. I'll tell you how I burned in my trigger. First, I sat at home alone, in my recliner, with a piece of chalk in my hand. I would settle my mind as much as I could, then pick a tiny spec on the wall. I'd focus my eyes intently on that spec, then tap the cube of chalk on the end table two times and lay it down. I did this every day... in a few days, I could tap that chalk and it seemed that nothing existed but that spec on on the wall. Then I took it to the table. I'd go through my preshot routine up to the point that I chalked the cue, then when I tapped that chalk twice on the table, everything disappeared from my mind and I'd execute the shot.

One important thing... when you develop a good switch and a good mental process, it's easy to fall out of it, especially if you miss a shot that you KNOW you should have made. NEVER, EVER put value on a shot. Don't think of missing as a BAD or EVIL thing... just consider it a result. Not a good result, not a bad result, just the result of your actions. If you put "good and bad" labels on it, then pretty soon, you're going to talk yourself into dogging easy shots. I love it when I'm playing someone and they miss an easy shot and say something like "I can't hit a bull in the a$$ with a barn door.", because I know they're setting themselves up to lose.

When i shoot a shot, make it or not, I simply nod my head, then either walk to my chair or walk to the next shot (hopefully most times it's walking to the next shot.

Now, I know this has probably been beat to death in pool circles, but find a copy of the book "The Inner Game of Tennis"... READ IT... SEVERAL TIMES! There is a lot of great "pool" information in the book and it covers the mental game from a great aspect.

Bob

Excellent post...

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
It sounds like maybe you haven't locked down your routines and checklists. These are the things you MUST build in your practice sessions, so that when you are playing, you don't have to think about them, they just happen.
If you have an SPF instructor, then you already know about the mother drills. Practice them faithfully.
There are 3 checklists that make up your routine. Make sure you are hitting them on every shot.
You can't be thinking about these things when you play. So the only way to make sure it all gets done is to practice until they become a natural part of your game.
I would be happy to work with you on this if you like.
Steve

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
got too much on your mind..........

Building a natural and consistent preshot routine is key as some have stated.

If your always thinking about stroke and aiming and the basics without it coming natural your not shooting pool..........your using too much of your mental power on things that have nothing to do with actual strategy, shot choice, pattern play etc.

Your probably having to focus on 25 things at the same time, so your shooting will suffer greatly sometimes more or less so.

Get all the mechanics natural through proper practice and then you will be free to concentrate on PLAYING the game working out the patterns, theory, strategy mentally.

You want your mind making CHOICES and PROBLEM SOLVING for you/with you.....you don't want your conscious mind working out/performing the mechanical movements, thats why we call it muscle memory.....you teach the muscle and it thinks for itself one day.

-Grey Ghost-

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mental Game - confidence?

I think my preshot routine is good.

I walk around the table (or atleast to behind the object ball). I plan the shot. Once I see the exact point of contact I walk over behind the cueball and get down in my stance from behind the cueball. I do a few practice strokes to find the right speed, on the last practice stroke I get set, draw back, pause a second then stroke through the ball toward my target.

I just go one day where I get break and runs on a triple shim table, and then the next day I can't seem to run 5 balls.

My fundamentals are pretty solid. Video consultation showed my alignment is dead on, stroke is good and such. I think my biggest problem is confidence.

Does anyone have good drills or idea's for working on confidence?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Bob

tap, tap, tap - very good article,

lg from overseas,

Ingo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are a variety of things you can do mentally, as you've seen posted here, but before you do them, make sure that you've got two very important things covered --- and those are nutrition and rest. If you're tired and then eat a huge steak with potatoes just before your match, then all bets are off.

I've learned from my experience in competing that my attention span, and ability to control my thoughts and emotions are much worse if I don't eat right, or am tired; and if I'm suffering from both, it's nearly always a disaster in the making.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RWOJO...These two statements are contradictory. If your shooting PSR was solid, you would not play lights out one day, and poorly the next. Who took a look at your process on video? Was it a qualified instructor, or are you assuming you can look at your own video and diagnose what's good or not?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I think my preshot routine is good.

I just go one day where I get break and runs on a triple shim table, and then the next day I can't seem to run 5 balls.

My fundamentals are pretty solid. Video consultation showed my alignment is dead on, stroke is good and such. I think my biggest problem is confidence.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob

I see this post is a few months old but I haven't ventured into this "Ask The Instructor" forum much. I REALLY REALLY liked this post. It sounds like you have created a real trigger for yourself to help you clear your mind. This reminds me Pavlovian conditioning. If I recall correctly he used a bell to call the dogs to dinner and after a while hearing the bell caused the dogs to salivate. In your case, it sounds like the tapping of the chalk causes your inner pool brain to salivate :) Very nice.

I have always struggled with the either or scenario. Either I'm having a fun night talking, joking, and laughing, but unable to concentrate and play my best. Or I’m completely focused and unable to do any of the above. Sounds like you have figured out how to perform any either environment. I'm going to try to incorporate something like this into my PSR.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
There is no way in the world you can stay focused all night long, or even through an entire match, or even one game. The kind of focus Bob is talking about only lasts for about 12 seconds. In pool school, this is our 12 seconds of focus when shooting. There is a checklist of everything you do in the shooting position, and you learn to do them in less than 12 seconds. The chalk is Bobs trigger or switch that lets him know his 12 seconds has started.
Steve

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,

The instructor that did the video analysis is Chris Niksch at the Georgia Billiard Academy. Besides some little things, he says my biggest issue is the mental side of the game.

I think I've figured out one of my major flaws and I am working to correct this. I refer to the bad habbit as "Just going through the motions". If you watched me shoot one shot this way and one shot my normal way you couldn't tell the difference but I know. I have found myself getting careless in the way of just going through the motions and not really:

Choosing the shot carefully,
Lining up exactly where I want,
Knowing exactly what I want to do with the cue ball,

and due to these 3 things I might deliver a great stroke and miss because of the aim. Or I might make a great shot but not get anywhere close to the position I would have if I planned the exact position.

I started focusing on these things this past week or so and I made it to the semi-finals in the local tournament last week and then last night I won the tournament.