Alternative to a weight bolt.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the bottom of my cue butt there is a hole approximately 2.65" deep and about 0.4" diameter.
What heavy material could I glue in to completely fill the hole that would add about 1oz in weight to the butt?
I was thinking Ebony or a Phenolic material.

Any guidance would be appreciated

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
In the bottom of my cue butt there is a hole approximately 2.65" deep and about 0.4" diameter.
What heavy material could I glue in to completely fill the hole that would add about 1oz in weight to the butt?
I was thinking Ebony or a Phenolic material.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Tungsten powder mixed with epoxy. Very heavy per unit volume.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Plug that hole with maple .
You can use 5/16 set screws after that.
You can dial in the weight you'd need.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could bore it out a little, then tap it M12 for 12mm set screws.
Tungsten powder is very expensive for what it is.
Lead shot encapsulated with epoxy and glass ground fibre can also be used like they do in golf clubs. I just weighed 30cc of lead shot= 186gms, filled with water to the 30cc mark, total is now 198gms, So there is 12cc for resin and ground glass fibre. So the lead shot has quite a low denisty compared lead bar. With resin and a bit of ground glass come to 6.67gms/cc, which is lighter than steel rods. It's advantage is it is moldable to the shape to be filled. Extra resin needs to be added, as resin is absorbed by the surounding wood.
Lots of ideas and ways to do the same job.
Joeys idea is as good as any, as it is adjustable. Tungsten and leadshot can be difficult to remove or to adjust the weight.
Neil

.33ci would be with the leadshot resin,glass come to about 36grams, or 1.27 oz, but you could mix a batch, then keep adding it until the handle gets to the desired weight.

Last edited:

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More info.....After the hole has filled (or plugged) it needs to be tapped and a brass insert fitted so a extension can be used.
Once this job is completed it is not necessary for it to be adjustable.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
More info.....After the hole has filled (or plugged) it needs to be tapped and a brass insert fitted so a extension can be used.
Once this job is completed it is not necessary for it to be adjustable.

Um, the brass will add plenty of weight. Do you already have an extension you want to use? What thread if so?