custom butt won't fit Mezz cue both are 5/16x14

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft won't go in all the way there's a big gap. Why is this?! Both are 5/16x14. I can return both but really like the cue and this LD shaft. Anything I can do to fix this? The shaft model is wx900 and the butt is a Robert Harris.

image.jpg

cer0286

Registered
You sure that's not a united joint shaft? I know it's basically a 5/16x14, but I believe the united pilot on the shaft it's too big to fit a standard 5/16x14.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft was listed by a reputable seller on ebay as 5/16x14. It screws on but then just stops. It won't go in all the way and I don't want to force it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin length? Insert depth?

Honestly, on a custom I would prefer to have a shaft blank fitted by the cue maker anyway, including matching the rings.

A custom is not inexpensive and would seem worth the extra effort of a properly matched shaft anyway.

Just my opinion.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, on a custom I would prefer to have a shaft blank fitted by the cue maker anyway, including matching the rings.

Good idea I should have done this. In my defense I got a great deal on this custom on ebay it was not made for me. For some reason I assumed the shaft would fit perfectly. I was told a guy name Tony over at Tiger cues in Burbank can fix this just left him a message. I live ten min away from Tiger.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a thing for dashed rings. Maple or ivory. That joint ring looks nice. Probably the fix is not too hard but I would seriously consider matching the ring.

But that's me.

Would love to hear how the cue plays with the new shaft. Please post a review when it is done.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a thing for dashed rings.
Me too, but I rather have a nice player than a pretty cue. (I compete a lot and get a little action here and there). The original shaft matches and I have not missed many balls with the original set up but very curious what the wx900 can do. I'll post a review.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I am a player and not a cue builder, but I have been in your shoes.

I believe you definitely have a "piloted joint" problem.... Either the Harris butt has to accommodate a piloted joint shaft like you have, and Harris butts are for flat faced shafts. Or the MEzz Shaft you bought has to be exchanged to a flat faced, instead of piloted joint to fit the Harris Butt. That is likely the prob, unless you have the wrong joint size altogether as below.

I've had several Mezz cues: a DI-PB-2 break cue and an Mezz 606 AXI model playing cue.

Mezz has some proprietary joints that come together like no other production cues, and they range in sizes. Their proprietary joints have no wiggle room and less tolerance than anything I have tried as a player. I think the 5/16 x14 is ony available through custom order as Mezz sticks to their proprietary joints on production cues.

I found out that their pin size, for the proprietary wavy joint (i.e. the shaft that comes with an AXI) is 3/8 x 9.

I also had the pro hybrid, and wx700 wavy for that cue

Most people do not now this, ( as it is odd), as compared to well known 3/8x10, the latter being, only avaiable through custom order from Mezz.

I have read about people trying to force such 3/8 x9 onto a 3/8x10 butt and the threads can easily get messed up... This would be costly and upsetting. Smart to not force it!!!

The wavy threaded Mezz shafts are wood to wood, and this may another thing that you may need to looked into, as I do not know if Harris cues are Stainless steel to stainless steel or wood to wood facing. Also have no idea,how a shaft that is designed as wood faced, would work with a stainless steel thread such as found on schon, jacoby etc.

I've run into the same incompatible problems, you have had, in ordering custom 5/16 x 14 joint protectors that are not piloted and try to put them on. Same picture as you show..... I was able to send them back after telling the maker the issue and he corrected them for piloted joints.

I have a united joint on my MEzz PB2, and that will not work with a 5/16x14 either.

You should call Mezz USA their customer service is fantastic and they are really nice.....

All the best

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I am a player and not a cue builder, but I have been in your shoes.

I believe you definitely have a "piloted joint" problem.... Either the Harris butt has to accommodate a piloted joint shaft like you have, and Harris butts are for flat faced shafts. Or the MEzz Shaft you bought has to be exchanged to a flat faced, instead of piloted joint to fit the Harris Butt. That is likely the prob, unless you have the wrong joint size altogether as below.

You can see in his picture that the butt is not flat faced and does indeed accept a pilot.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's try to whittle this problem down together.

If the butt is accepting of a piloted joint per Chopdoc, then guys.... wouldn't the problem HAVE TO BE that the shaft thread size, is different than that of the Harris butt?

I am unsure there is any other answer. Mezz makes highly precisioned shafts so we do not have 2 duds here.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys relax!
The Mezz united joint IS a 5-14/16 joint, it's just made with much tighter tolerances, than a regular 5-14/16 pin.
Just run a tap through the shaft.
Finding out if the pilot on the shaft, fit the pilot hole on the butt isn't more complicated than checking with a caliper.

Last edited:

GoldRush cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measure the brass inserts outside diameter , and the inside diameter of the pilot. Measure the length of your pin, and the depth of the shaft. Check for any defects or flaws in the insert, im sure any repair guy in your area can diagnose the problem . Shouldn't be to much to get it right for ya.