Tip/LD Shaft question

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently picked up a Mezz EC7 just to try one out, as I've heard good things about their cues. So far I'm kind of liking the hit and how it moves the cue ball. I've been a standard maple shaft player for about 45 years, other than a brief tryout of a Predator shaft when they first came out. On that I didn't care for the "hollow" hit or the taper and used it for just a short time.

Anyway, my question is this. I have been miscuing a lot and am just curious if it's the tip or the LD shaft? I usually use Triangles or Dawg Duds and this shaft I'm pretty sure has a Kamui Black M. The shafts are WX700. Right now I seem to miscue at least once every time I play. I would say from history I probably miscue about once every 10 times I play. There has been a learning curve with the cue, as I'm a BHE guy and there are some shots that still don't feel right, so not sure if I'll stick with it or not.

I do scuff it up once in a while but I've never had to do that this much. About 1/2 life left on the tip I would say. Wondering thoughts on the Kamui, or is it how I'm striking the ball with this shaft?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would change the tip. Kamui blacks have proven to be quite irritating to maintain over longer periods of time and personally I don't care for them at all. I don't even stock them anymore as there are cheaper tips out there that outperform the blacks :(

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to agree with the poster above.

As someone who went through 3 Kamui tips, they're pretty awful IMO.

Go with G2, ZAN, Navigator, or Precision by Dennis Searing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn right kamui is a pain, too many miscues, too much work. I had black H on a z2, lots of tip left, but so many shots slid off the cue ball giving ball in hand to the opponent. Change the tip, you will find something better for sure

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kamui Black Medium is one of the worst tips I've tried, IMHO.

I had one put on my Predator FAT 314-2 shaft and I hated it. I put up with it for a month or so and then gave up on it. I changed to a G-2 Soft and like it 1000 times better.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the consensus is the Kamui M is a crap tip. I had those on an Omen I had too and didn't like them then. I've got a Ki-tech S and a M so I'll run with one of those next. Thanks for the replies.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I was told it was a Kamui Soft on the EC-7. That's what I've purchased recently, and am a lot happier with a new Triangle on it. The hit firmed up a bit, FYI.

androd

androd
Silver Member
So I recently picked up a Mezz EC7 just to try one out, as I've heard good things about their cues. So far I'm kind of liking the hit and how it moves the cue ball. I've been a standard maple shaft player for about 45 years, other than a brief tryout of a Predator shaft when they first came out. On that I didn't care for the "hollow" hit or the taper and used it for just a short time.

Anyway, my question is this. I have been miscuing a lot and am just curious if it's the tip or the LD shaft? I usually use Triangles or Dawg Duds and this shaft I'm pretty sure has a Kamui Black M. The shafts are WX700. Right now I seem to miscue at least once every time I play. I would say from history I probably miscue about once every 10 times I play. There has been a learning curve with the cue, as I'm a BHE guy and there are some shots that still don't feel right, so not sure if I'll stick with it or not.

I do scuff it up once in a while but I've never had to do that this much. About 1/2 life left on the tip I would say. Wondering thoughts on the Kamui, or is it how I'm striking the ball with this shaft?

If you've been using maple for 45 yrs, it'll take about 1 1/2 to 2 months to get accustomed to new shaft, straight shots are okay, banks are a mystery til you change muscle memory. I've just been thru this. Not sure about the tip most new Mezz come with ? Zan tip I believe it's called..

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told it was a Kamui Soft on the EC-7. That's what I've purchased recently, and am a lot happier with a new Triangle on it. The hit firmed up a bit, FYI.

Agreed. I've switched to Triangles also. Practically no maintanence you can't beat the price. Sometimes old school is the right school.