Focus, Regardless of Aiming Method

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last month I had the opportunity of standing near the table, holding my cue, watching one of the greatest players in the world (James Aranas) run several racks as smooth as silk. It was a friendly $50 "challenge" race to 5, and, having already watched him put a 4-pack on another guy, I figured for my $50 I'd be watching him play more than he'd be watching me. So I found myself playing in a lackadaisical mode, given the likelihood that I had little chance of winning.

I learned a couple of things for that $50, but the greatest lesson was learned after watching the video of the match. My expectation of losing guaranteed my loss. By expecting to be totally outclassed, I lacked determination and focus.

I half-assed the break, as if I was thinking...."What difference does it make?". I think Aranas missed one shot in the entire match, the 1 ball in the first game, which was one hell of a back cut. He left the ball in the hole, and that's the only game I won, though he did give me a couple of opportunities to win more. I ended up missing two shots the entire match, both simple shots. All I needed was to focus on the shot at hand, using whatever aiming tools I prefer, and I could've spent more time playing than watching. Instead, I just stepped up and thought, "Yeah, that looks good enough", only to end up missing a slight backcut on a 1 ball by 3in or more.

Had I been a little more determined and spent 3 or 4 seconds to ensure that 1 ball was lined up correctly, the score of the match could've been much closer. I could've used Poolology and nailed that 1 ball, but I wasn't focused, determined, willing to apply the effort this game requires. I was also playing a BCA 8ball league match, so my head wasn't entirely involved in the 9ball set with Aranas. I won 5-0 in the 8ball league, but lost 5-1 in that 9ball set. But it was still a good lesson for 50 dollars.

This is where a consistent PSR, one that incorporates your aiming and alignment process, must become habit. It doesn't matter what aiming system you use, or what aiming method you doublecheck yourself with, the most important thing is doing it with 100% deliberate focus on every shot, despite simplicity or complexity, and regardless of who you're playing. This gives you the greatest opportunity to play your best pool as often as possible. This doesn't mean to "try" to do it. Typically, the harder we try the worse we play. It must be automatic, as far as the psr for every single shot, which means paying attention to every shot so that you just do it, habitually, without really trying to make it happen.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I learned a couple of things for that $50, but the greatest lesson was learned after watching the video of the match. My expectation of losing guaranteed my loss. By expecting to be totally outclassed, I lacked determination and focus.

I think your greatest lesson should be the lesson learned for everyone on this forum from now to the rest of our playing days.

I half-assed the break, as if I was thinking...."What difference does it make?". I think Aranas missed one shot in the entire match, the 1 ball in the first game, which was one hell of a back cut. He left the ball in the hole, and that's the only game I won, though he did give me a couple of opportunities to win more. I ended up missing two shots the entire match, both simple shots.

I know how that grates on you. I've certainly had my share and nothing, absolutely nothing is more irritating than missing simple shots to give a game away and not finishing the rack right there to put the "W" on your side.

All I needed was to focus on the shot at hand, using whatever aiming tools I prefer, and I could've spent more time playing than watching. Instead, I just stepped up and thought, "Yeah, that looks good enough", only to end up missing a slight backcut on a 1 ball by 3in or more.

I don't care to rub salt into the wound because I know how crap like that is infuriating, but that one single shot to me was totally inexcusable for your caliber of play. Shots like that need to be taken advantage of to set up the entire rack for a runout and another "W" in the column.

Had I been a little more determined and spent 3 or 4 seconds to ensure that 1 ball was lined up correctly, the score of the match could've been much closer. I could've used Poolology and nailed that 1 ball, but I wasn't focused, determined, willing to apply the effort this game requires.

It should have been Poolology for you. For others it could be contact points, Ghost Ball, Overlaps, lights, the arrow, 90/90, shiskabob, or (heaven forbid for even saying this) but CTE for me and some others.

I was also playing a BCA 8ball league match, so my head wasn't entirely involved in the 9ball set with Aranas. I won 5-0 in the 8ball league, but lost 5-1 in that 9ball set. But it was still a good lesson for 50 dollars.

This is where relying on all the past successful experiences of the subconscious mind guiding you to each and every ball or game on the table gets overridden by "STATIC" from the conscious mind.

It can be anything like in your case with the league match which WAS more important to you. It could be something pressing at work, an argument with the wife or girlfriend, a speeding ticket on the way to the room, money problems, a toothache, anything and everything.

This is where a consistent PSR, one that incorporates your aiming and alignment process, must become habit. It doesn't matter what aiming system you use, or what aiming method you doublecheck yourself with, the most important thing is doing it with 100% deliberate focus on every shot, despite simplicity or complexity, and regardless of who you're playing. This gives you the greatest opportunity to play your best pool as often as possible.

I don't know what to say to this paragraph above other than it should qualify for post of the year. I started playing this game just shy of 30 years now. Not as long as some in here but probably longer than most. I never did it occasionally or half assed because it was an immediate love and challenge and a lot of time was spent on pool tables. Over those years I've learned and used a number of different aiming systems. Contact points, fractions, 90/90, the SEE system, and what Hal Houle and Stan taught me, CTE.

Having said that, I am not stupid when comes to using any and ALL aiming systems.
Each has allowed me to play at a better level during various years as well as make me money gambling. Why I chose what I did with Hal and then stick with it for years certainly isn't because getting worse is the goal. And let me reiterate, I am NOT stupid for doing it regardless of the 22 year war on pool forums against it.

I know what it does for me and that's all that matters. For Brian, what Poolology does for him and others is all that matters. For users of contact points, and whatever else to improve their games is all that matters.

What is MOST important is what was mentioned earlier...ALL AIMING SYSTEMS PROVIDE SOMETHING FOR THOSE 3-4 SECONDS PRIOR TO THE STROKE FOR FOCUS AND ELIMINATING STATIC. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

This doesn't mean to "try" to do it. Typically, the harder we try the worse we play. It must be automatic, as far as the psr for every single shot, which means paying attention to every shot so that you just do it, habitually, without really trying to make it happen.

Brian, I don't know what your thoughts are but wouldn't it be nice if the 22 year old stupid aiming war finally came to an end and everybody just used what suits them best to heighten FOCUSfor those 3-4 seconds before pulling the trigger to take the shot?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, I don't know what your thoughts are but wouldn't it be nice if the 22 year old stupid aiming war finally came to an end and everybody just used what suits them best to heighten FOCUSfor those 3-4 seconds before pulling the trigger to take the shot?

I think it sounds great. Whether or not it'll ever happen remains to be seen.

Along with working on individual shot focus, I've been working on stroke timing, that final backswing before striking the cb. It's amazes me how we can play this game for so many years, have incredible ups and downs, and still, after 30+ years, discover ways to improve consistency.

Here's a great example.... Not long ago I read post questioning Tyler Styer's use of Pro1. The poster asked why Tyler, who supposedly uses CTE pro1 for every shot, stood behind the ob and looked at the contact point on a shot or two. The answer is simple: He uses all the tools he has on every shot every time. If I had done that on the 1 ball I missed, I wouldn't have missed it.

There's nothing wrong with incorporating an automatic double check on certain shots, especially key shots or starter shots. Even when I feel like I can't miss, when I'm just whizzing balls in without really knowing how I'm doing it, there will come a shot that I take for granted and just rush through it, fully expecting it to go, but it doesn't. So it's an excellent idea to use all the tools you have, whether you employ ghostball, contact points, fractional aiming, 90/90, CTE, whatever it takes to ensure you are lined up where you need to before pulling the trigger. That's focus.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's a great example.... Not long ago I read post questioning Tyler Styer's use of Pro1. The poster asked why Tyler, who supposedly uses CTE pro1 for every shot, stood behind the ob and looked at the contact point on a shot or two. The answer is simple: He uses all the tools he has on every shot every time. If I had done that on the 1 ball I missed, I wouldn't have missed it.

There's nothing wrong with incorporating an automatic double check on certain shots, especially key shots or starter shots. Even when I feel like I can't miss, when I'm just whizzing balls in without really knowing how I'm doing it, there will come a shot that I take for granted and just rush through it, fully expecting it to go, but it doesn't. So it's an excellent idea to use all the tools you have, whether you employ ghostball, contact points, fractional aiming, 90/90, CTE, whatever it takes to ensure you are lined up where you need to before pulling the trigger. That's focus.

Here is a match between James Aranas and Tyler Styer. If someone can find a point in this match where Aranas or Styer look like they were sure enough with aiming, speed or any part of their game to just slap it in, point it out because I can't find it. They both are totally FOCUSED and don't pull any triggers until they're certain.

Brian, I wish you had asked Aranas how he aimed and what he thought about while shooting. As has been said, Styer uses CTE and visits Stan on a regular basis.
(man I wish I had their strokes!)

ENJOY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdrMBwc-D0

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spider, you're trying hard and your efforts are most admirable.
As a natural born cynic about human nature, I can only say..."time will tell". (I didn't select my signature line out of the blue sky, you know:wink:)
However, with each new day there is fresh hope.
Cheers....
:thumbup:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a match between James Aranas and Tyler Styer. If someone can find a point in this match where Aranas or Styer look like they were sure enough with aiming, speed or any part of their game to just slap it in, point it out because I can't find it. They both are totally FOCUSED and don't pull any triggers until they're certain.

Brian, I wish you had asked Aranas how he aimed and what he thought about while shooting. As has been said, Styer uses CTE and visits Stan on a regular basis.
(man I wish I had their strokes!)

ENJOY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdrMBwc-D0

Great match! And yes it would be nice if the 22yr old bs would end.

I didn't ask Aranas about aiming. If I had he would've probably looked at me sideways, like all great players I've asked about it over the years. Most common answer...."I just do it." I asked Roy Francisco (of Roy's Basement) if James ever misses, just joking around of course. HE told me James has been "seeing the balls really well lately".

What was most impressive about watching him play was his stroke. The backswing, the follow through, the speed and timing....very fluent and consistent. He never shot hard/firm. Every shot was a smooth medium or soft hit. It made me wish I could go back 35 years and practice that. Lol

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Great match! And yes it would be nice if the 22yr old bs would end.

I didn't ask Aranas about aiming. If I had he would've probably looked at me sideways, like all great players I've asked about it over the years. Most common answer...."I just do it." I asked Roy Francisco (of Roy's Basement) if James ever misses, just joking around of course. HE told me James has been "seeing the balls really well lately".

That one sentence is small like a diamond but worth a fortune in insight and importance.

What was most impressive about watching him play was his stroke. The backswing, the follow through, the speed and timing....very fluent and consistent. He never shot hard/firm. Every shot was a smooth medium or soft hit. It made me wish I could go back 35 years and practice that. Lol

The match between Aranas and Styer pointed the same thing out for both of them.
Smooth medium or soft hits. Absolute poetry in motion. (and great nerves)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Brian. I'm back from 30 days in the cooler for getting pissed off about some racist remarks, but that's water under the bridge.

For another $70 you could pick up a copy of Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson. I'm pretty sure you don't already have it, or at least you didn't take it to heart, because the central theme of the book is, "What does it really take to become a pro level player"? Determination and "focus" are central to that goal. There are things in the book you don't really need, but if you don't find a couple of nuggets that make it worth the purchase then I'd be very surprised.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Brian. I'm back from 30 days in the cooler for getting pissed off about some racist remarks, but that's water under the bridge.

For another $70 you could pick up a copy of Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson. I'm pretty sure you don't already have it, or at least you didn't take it to heart, because the central theme of the book is, "What does it really take to become a pro level player"? Determination and "focus" are central to that goal. There are things in the book you don't really need, but if you don't find a couple of nuggets that make it worth the purchase then I'd be very surprised.

hi dan
welcome back
not sure all would agree with me (or you from me )....:eek::smile:
the one thing in marks book i disagree with is
he shoots fairly side saddle so his TOE is on the shot line
i think most of us are alittle more open and the shot line is more somewhere on the arch of your foot

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll justabetcha that's not the only book Brian doesn't have in his library.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi dan
welcome back
not sure all would agree with me (or you from me )....:eek::smile:
the one thing in marks book i disagree with is
he shoots fairly side saddle so his TOE is on the shot line
i think most of us are alittle more open and the shot line is more somewhere on the arch of your foot

He promotes what he calls the "orthodox" method, but adds that if your body type doesn't suit it, then modify as needed. I think this section of the book is less useful to someone like Brian. Even so he might pick up some useful thoughts about the stroke. The book focuses heavily on the mental aspect of play, which is what I was getting at with Brian. I could tell by watching the video with Aranas who the pro was just by looking at how they shot, forgetting the balls on the table. Pro's are almost always more deliberate or "careful" than amateurs.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I could tell by watching the video with Aranas who the pro was just by looking at how they shot, forgetting the balls on the table. Pro's are almost always more deliberate or "careful" than amateurs.

BINGO! Good post. In being more "careful" he was 'thinking and seeing' what he was doing, not operating on 'auto pilot'.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BINGO! Good post. In being more "careful" he was 'thinking and seeing' what he was doing, not operating on 'auto pilot'.

I don't know why you have such a hang up on the idea that some things are automatic. It's really not that hard to understand. When Aranas lines up a bank shot, he is getting into the position that just "looks right" based on doing it so many times. That's all Brian is saying.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I don't know why you have such a hang up on the idea that some things are automatic. It's really not that hard to understand. When Aranas lines up a bank shot, he is getting into the position that just "looks right" based on doing it so many times. That's all Brian is saying.

I know what Brian is saying when he says it and why he says it. I certainly don't need you to be a translator so how about stop acting like the all knowing one.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what Brian is saying when he says it and why he says it. I certainly don't need you to be a translator so how about stop acting like the all knowing one.

This is why I normally ignore you. Let's try again, getting back to the subject. What is so bothersome about saying a guy like Aranas lines up a bank shot based on "feel" or that is just "looks right"? He is not consciously using a sequence of steps that will give him the answer, like one of those banking systems where you aim 12 ft away from the table on a wall to find the aim point.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is why I normally ignore you. Let's try again, getting back to the subject. What is so bothersome about saying a guy like Aranas lines up a bank shot based on "feel" or that is just "looks right"? He is not consciously using a sequence of steps that will give him the answer, like one of those banking systems where you aim 12 ft away from the table on a wall to find the aim point.

How do you know what Aranas is doing or not doing? Did you talk to him?

Is he seeing a portion (fraction) of the CB/OB relationship? Is he using English to shorten or lengthen the bank angle? Is he using speed to shorten or lengthen the bank angle?

You tell me what he's doing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you know what Aranas is doing or not doing? Did you talk to him?

Is he seeing a portion (fraction) of the CB/OB relationship? Is he using English to shorten or lengthen the bank angle? Is he using speed to shorten or lengthen the bank angle?

You tell me what he's doing.

Most every pro will tell you that they don't know how they aim. They just shoot it when it looks right. There are occasional situations where they might have a reference shot to help them get a handle on cue ball control, but if you think otherwise you are either delusional or misleading intentionally.

What you keep advocating for does not exist, except maybe in Poolology which does actually put you on the correct shot line.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Last month I had the opportunity of standing near the table, holding my cue, watching one of the greatest players in the world (James Aranas) run several racks as smooth as silk. It was a friendly $50 "challenge" race to 5, and, having already watched him put a 4-pack on another guy, I figured for my $50 I'd be watching him play more than he'd be watching me. So I found myself playing in a lackadaisical mode, given the likelihood that I had little chance of winning.

I half-assed the break, as if I was thinking...."What difference does it make?". I think Aranas missed one shot in the entire match, the 1 ball in the first game, which was one hell of a back cut. He left the ball in the hole, and that's the only game I won, though he did give me a couple of opportunities to win more. I ended up missing two shots the entire match, both simple shots. All I needed was to focus on the shot at hand, using whatever aiming tools I prefer, and I could've spent more time playing than watching. Instead, I just stepped up and thought, "Yeah, that looks good enough", only to end up missing a slight backcut on a 1 ball by 3in or more.

Had I been a little more determined and spent 3 or 4 seconds to ensure that 1 ball was lined up correctly, the score of the match could've been much closer. I could've used Poolology and nailed that 1 ball, but I wasn't focused, determined, willing to apply the effort this game requires. I was also playing a BCA 8ball league match, so my head wasn't entirely involved in the 9ball set with Aranas. I won 5-0 in the 8ball league, but lost 5-1 in that 9ball set. But it was still a good lesson for 50 dollars.

This is where a consistent PSR, one that incorporates your aiming and alignment process, must become habit. It doesn't matter what aiming system you use, or what aiming method you doublecheck yourself with, the most important thing is doing it with 100% deliberate focus on every shot, despite simplicity or complexity, and regardless of who you're playing. This gives you the greatest opportunity to play your best pool as often as possible. This doesn't mean to "try" to do it. Typically, the harder we try the worse we play. It must be automatic, as far as the psr for every single shot, which means paying attention to every shot so that you just do it, habitually, without really trying to make it happen.

Your post make total sense, and people who are not on top of their game shoot too fast. Great players walk around the table, think about the shot they want to make, where they want the Cue ball at end of shot, what is next shot, or are they shooting a safe..

All of this happen fast because they have Pool Computer in place of their brains. That Pool Computers process this information very fast because 1,000's of hour of play, practice, and learned are in their muscle memory.

These same people do not miss easy shots as nothing is take me for granted.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Most every pro will tell you that they don't know how they aim. They just shoot it when it looks right.

Completely erroneous and absurd. The BD article from a couple of decades ago debunks your claim.

As far as Banks, your solution to it and everything is "just shoot when it looks right". If you had purchased "Banking With The Beard" by Fred Bentivegna , you would have seen over 210 PAGES of pictures and explanations for just about every conceivable bank shot on the table including 2 rail and 3 rail banks, what to do and how to do them. What did Freddy know that's 210 pages worth compared to your ONE word...FEEL? I'd say the difference between a banking PRO and a HACK.

There are occasional situations where they might have a reference shot to help them get a handle on cue ball control, but if you think otherwise you are either delusional or misleading intentionally.

Why don't you ask the pros and top amateurs that Stan taught who currently USE CTE. They'll laugh you right out of your misinformed world. SVB and CJ use specific aiming systems but they also get laughed at by those like yourself who claim they use NOTHING. Like you ARE somebody in the world of pool You're a legend in your own mind. ROTFLMAO

What you keep advocating for does not exist, except maybe in Poolology which does actually put you on the correct shot line.

You mean the aiming system YOU use, correct?

Don't forget about that voluntary "Ignore" you were going to implement.

Last edited: