US OPEN: This breaking format is killing me...

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone was paying attention, neils just crushed the rack, made a ball and one ball passed the head string, another ball came up to the line but the center of that ball did not.

ILLEGAL BREAK. neils pissed and I would be too.

there were a lot more then one illegal break yesterday BTW

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never had to worry about that on slow cloth

See what happens when everything is easy.
Nick :)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If anyone was paying attention, neils just crushed the rack, made a ball and one ball passed the head string, another ball came up to the line but the center of that ball did not.

ILLEGAL BREAK. neils pissed and I would be too.

there were a lot more then one illegal break yesterday BTW

ROTFLMAO....can you say....handicapped!!!:grin:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy idear here, so back in the 90's pool was plenty popular and plenty of money going around - both tourney and action. They were breaking a rack racked by a triangle, on Simonas cloth, with no break box and about an inch off the rail AND putting together some good packages with winner break format. Now all of these " break rules " and what do we have........... Just a thought

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy idear here, so back in the 90's pool was plenty popular and plenty of money going around - both tourney and action. They were breaking a rack racked by a triangle, on Simonas cloth, with no break box and about an inch off the rail AND putting together some good packages with winner break format. Now all of these " break rules " and what do we have........... Just a thought

Pool was dying long before these rules came along.

But if you really want to play devil's advocate and assign blame, you can point two fingers, one at Corey Deuel and the other at Joe Tucker.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

But if you really want to play devil's advocate and assign blame, you can point two fingers, one at Corey Deuel and the other at Joe Tucker.

Or Mika Feminine & his merry batch of whiners.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Send your regards to Corey Duel.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Why, did Cory design the Sardo rack....or just expose a flaw in perfect racking?

Henry W

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing that has changed in this game is the playing surface. That is a big deal and maybe it was not a good thing.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why, did Cory design the Sardo rack....or just expose a flaw in perfect racking?

He hacked the rack with his soft break, forced the rest of tour to start soft breaking in order to keep up. Took too much of the excitement out of the game.

Hence the break rules (3 balls past headstring, etc.) were brought in to prevent people from soft breaking and turning the game into an exercise.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He hacked the rack with his soft break, forced the rest of tour to start soft breaking in order to keep up. Took too much of the excitement out of the game.

Hence the break rules (3 balls past headstring, etc.) were brought in to prevent people from soft breaking and turning the game into an exercise.

Did he hack the rack, or did he just figure out a good speed to hit the balls in order to make a ball and continue his run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the point to the game? The Sardo rack combined with Simonis cloth, made that scenario possible, and now with the Magic rack, the ability is still there. Good on Corey for figuring it out. While everyone else was smashing the balls and sending the cue ball flying all over the place, he took a nice easy stroke and ran rack after rack.:thumbup:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Who else beside Eric Durbine forfeited their second match?

Eric said he didn't think he would have to play two matches on the first day.
JoeyA

I've seen a couple forfeits on the chart -- this, after they win their first match. Then forfeit the second match?

Is there all-night action going on at Q-Masters? Just curious. Can't imagine why anyone would forfeit a match on the winner's side after winning a match on the winner's side.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

So let me get this straight....Cory figured out that a perfect rack, racking the balls had a flaw. And that flaw was that if you broke the rack a certain way you were guaranteed to pocket a ball on the break, and therefore being a great player....he could run out just about every time........hmmmm....my only question I guess would be.......what stopped the rest of the world full of Professional pool players.....from figuring out the same break?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So let me get this straight....Cory figured out that a perfect rack, racking the balls had a flaw. And that flaw was that if you broke the rack a certain way you were guaranteed to pocket a ball on the break, and therefore being a great player....he could run out just about every time........hmmmm....my only question I guess would be.......what stopped the rest of the world full of Professional pool players.....from figuring out the same break?

They did.

Hence the new rules.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

And they lowered the mound because Koufax and Gibson were unhittable.

The pros.figured the soft.break eons ago after watching Corey goosegg Mika at the open.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he hack the rack, or did he just figure out a good speed to hit the balls in order to make a ball and continue his run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the point to the game? The Sardo rack combined with Simonis cloth, made that scenario possible, and now with the Magic rack, the ability is still there. Good on Corey for figuring it out. While everyone else was smashing the balls and sending the cue ball flying all over the place, he took a nice easy stroke and ran rack after rack.:thumbup:

I didn't say that "hacking the rack" was a "bad" thing. :)

Corey Duel hacked 9-ball and turned it into a boring game for spectators, watching him play with his soft break is like watching pro's play 9b on a bar box.

Cudos to Corey, he's one of the most creative players alive. But he IS the reason why the rules changed, and IMO, for the better from a spectator POV. I don't want to watch pro's soft break and pot 9 ducks.