Shane Vanboening vs Jayson Shaw

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money Match has signed both players, *and* they make the line?

Yeah, ....

Where's the TRUST, Freddie???

We've been around this game way too long.

I'm over the race to (insert incredibly long number here) "break contest" games all together, except in tournaments.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have some problems with this set-up.
Shorter sets “best of” is far more watchable....race to 100 (watching live) should be part
of the community service penalty you got from an understanding judge.
...how about races to 15.....best 4 out of 9 sets?

And Van Boening is TWO words...not one word like on the poster.

...nobody likes there name spelled incorrectly.
When you see a small mistake this early...it makes you wonder how many more small
things are going to add up to a frustrating experience.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the line on this match not happening?

Given the fact they are both 'represented:rolleyes:' by the same 'agent:rolleyes:', it has to happen, right?

Are they not under contractual obligation to play where their agent places them?

Are there not consequences for breaching the contract?:rolleyes:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my understanding (which could be wrong), the betting line is determined by the bookies and it changes whenever the betting becomes lop sided. From a bookies standpoint, they want the bets to be split 50/50 between both sides. So they adjust the betting anytime it becomes unbalanced.

For example:

Week 1: Match is announced; 60% SVB, 40% Shaw
Week 2: Shaw is given 5 games on wire; 45% SVB, 55% Shaw
Week 3: Shaw's spot is reduced to 3 games on wire; 48% SVB, 52% Shaw
Week 4: Shaw's spot is reduced to 2 games on wire; 50% SVB, 50% Shaw

I rarely bet on major sporting events so maybe I could be missing something here. It just seems unusual that the betting lines were determined, and printed on the flyer, without any side bets being taken. This is like the NFL releasing a superbowl advertisement with a betting line on it. It's unusual to say the least.

How were these numbers determined? Will they change? The betting line only matters to the people taking bets, right? Who is taking bets?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong but I don’t believe moneymatch prompters or any other entity is taking actual bets at any line. I hypothesize they printed it on the poster for fun only.

All the side betting in recent pool history has been side better to side better with no book or juice involved.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems both aren’t playing their best right now, but I think Shaw has a higher top gear- whether he reaches it or not is the question

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Surprised

It seems both aren’t playing their best right now, but I think Shaw has a higher top gear- whether he reaches it or not is the question

I’m surprised. I have never seen anyone reach a higher gear than SVB in 10 ball.

Filler might be hotter. Chang more consistent. SVB may not be at his peak. But I think he is undisputed champ for big stretches of high level of play with lots of 2-4s in this format.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was their first race to 100? 100-92 and year played 2013? I’m going by memory on both.

Also, when was the last race to 100 match promoted by anyone? I remember Shane Dennis TAR to 100. Was that the last one?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Shorter sets “best of” is far more watchable....race to 100 (watching live) should be part

When you see a small mistake this early...it makes you wonder how many more small

Their*
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
From my understanding (which could be wrong), the betting line is determined by the bookies and it changes whenever the betting becomes lop sided. From a bookies standpoint, they want the bets to be split 50/50 between both sides. So they adjust the betting anytime it becomes unbalanced.

For example:

Week 1: Match is announced; 60% SVB, 40% Shaw
Week 2: Shaw is given 5 games on wire; 45% SVB, 55% Shaw
Week 3: Shaw's spot is reduced to 3 games on wire; 48% SVB, 52% Shaw
Week 4: Shaw's spot is reduced to 2 games on wire; 50% SVB, 50% Shaw

I rarely bet on major sporting events so maybe I could be missing something here. It just seems unusual that the betting lines were determined, and printed on the flyer, without any side bets being taken. This is like the NFL releasing a superbowl advertisement with a betting line on it. It's unusual to say the least.

How were these numbers determined? Will they change? The betting line only matters to the people taking bets, right? Who is taking bets?

You do realize the odds/games do not change for the people who have already bet dont you? In your example the bets do not equal 50/50 at the end of 4 weeks (most likely).

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have to agree with this right here.
Shane recently played Siming Chen in Vegas and what made it interesting and competitive was the 7 sets, each race to 11 over 3 days
You could feel the pressure right from the start and the players' performance, I believe, was all the better for it.

Shane and Shaw, same format would be a pressure cooker waiting to boil over, and engaging for the fans all the same.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long race

I think if the two of them played like a dozen racers to 100 we may see a clear winner as far as who is best, but maybe not as they are both great. I had some Tar matches and lost them when my old computer crashed, damn it.

The one with Shane and Dennis looked brutal for Dennis, mostly because of Shane's killer break.

Any more I prefer a best of match with shorter races to 21 and win by two games required.

I also think that with todays interest in 9 and 10 Ball and the many top tier players a big tournament draws, it is hard to say who is best at 9 and 10 ball. But, that Filler guy has racked up some very impressive big tournament wins in a short time.

If Filler can keep the competitive edge going, he will only get smarter and more better! For sure he makes shot making look easy.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1
Race to 100000 is getting old.
First of all , it isn't really race to 100 if they take long sleep break each day. True Race to 100 is race to 100 without any sleep except short toilet, meals breaks. I would watch all 3 days if it is True Race to 100 , that would be interesting :grin:
Secondly, sets of shorter ensures best performances from both. If someone leads by 20 racks in this race to 100, it is 99% of the time over and no one will watch remaining days

They are apparently "barking" at each other at least according to the promoter. Though I see another typo in Shaw's comment likely by the promoter or tangled words by Shaw "there is no way he can't beat me now" :grin:

mmp.JPG

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Those odds, money lines, games on the wire and over/under are truly a fantasy.

If anybody likes Shaw for those lines or the over, PM me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1
Race to 100000 is getting old.
First of all , it isn't really race to 100 if they take long sleep break each day. True Race to 100 is race to 100 without any sleep except short toilet, meals breaks. I would watch all 3 days if it is True Race to 100 , that would be interesting :grin:
Secondly, sets of shorter ensures best performances from both. If someone leads by 20 racks in this race to 100, it is 99% of the time over and no one will watch remaining days

They are apparently "barking" at each other at least according to the promoter. Though I see another typo in Shaw's comment likely by the promoter or tangled words by Shaw "there is no way he can't beat me now" :grin:

View attachment 526656
Freudian slip. Shaw knows he's the dog in this one.

On a side note, I am gonna play a friend of mine a set of 9b. Anyone want to bet on it? Either side is fine. We, errrr I don't care.