Kamui Tip Evaluation...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Well, sports fans, I've given my Kamui (soft) tip about two months of One Pocket play and I've got to tell you, I don't like it. It has a dead feel to it. It's kind of like you were bunting in baseball. Also, when running balls from around the stack I feel like I need to hit whitey a bit harder.
Anyone else feel this way? :smile:

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it's a soft tip, therefore it is soft. I can't imagine how people can play with them.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Kamui tips

Well, sports fans, I've given my Kamui (soft) tip about two months of One Pocket play and I've got to tell you, I don't like it. It has a dead feel to it. It's kind of like you were bunting in baseball. Also, when running balls from around the stack I feel like I need to hit whitey a bit harder.
Anyone else feel this way? :smile:

Personally I don't really like the way allot of layered tips play until they are about 1/3 of new thickness .

JC

Coos Cues
Kamui black=black streaks on the cloth.

Black streaks on the cloth=no good

Therefore Kamui black tips=no good.

Don't care how they hit, that's a deal killer all in itself.

JC

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Kamui are most likely the best tip out there. I cut them to 4 layers and a dome. I have a couple good players that make me cut them to 2 layers and a dome.

Soft tips all feel ..... well like soft tips.... and are a little dead.... a good player will mushroom them in a few hours play.... re dress them and they are usually fine. The super soft tips are just more of the same....

The medium tips are most popular. Some players and some med tips will mushroom.

The hard tips are for the experienced player. I have one guy that will mushroom a hard tip..... can you say hammer???.... They will miscue if you play too far out on the cue ball.... but probably less than most tips.

But the problem with Kamui tips is that they are outrageously expensive ..... just too much over priced.....$55 to install a tip is criminal

There are several look alike tips out there.......... Ultraskin being one.......... they play about 95% like a Kamui and are about 1/8 the initial price to the repair man.

just my opinion from my experience

Kim

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a medium on my Joss and I really like it. It's a toss up between it and the Moori III medium which I like the best.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the Kamui Black Tips, Soft is my personal favourite and Medium is really great too. When my current softie on the other WX700 wears out, ill install a M on it,so that I can play with wich ever I want each day :smile:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
With all layered tips, I remove 1/3 of the layers and then crown the remaining portion.
JoeyA

Good advice.
It's on a Schon/Predator shaft that I got from Seyberts, and when it came in I thought it was a tad higher than I was used to. I'll cut it down to about an eighth of an inch on the side and reshape.
If that doesn't work then I'll install one of those new FourSkin tips from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. You can't beat those tips. :smile:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Good advice.

It's on a Schon/Predator shaft that I got from Seyberts, and when it came in I thought it was a tad higher than I was used to. I'll cut it down to about an eighth of an inch on the side and reshape.

If that doesn't work then I'll install one of those new FourSkin tips from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. You can't beat those tips. :smile:

Yeah, but they're purple and way too sensitive...

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree the kamui tips, at least the soft that I've tried, do not work well for my game personally. Obviously many people like them but I agree with the OP, not for me. I haven't tried M or Hard. Right now I am shooting with a Schon shaft/tip, which I believe is pretty hard and I am shooting well with it.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I've tried quite a few layered tips and while it was an expensive lesson I found out that Sniper is the only one I like. Moori medium is second. I don't like Kamui at all. I bet I spent $100 on those tips just to find out that I don't like them

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I learned on a soft tip so it feels "normal" to me. Sometimes, just for fun, I'll run out a rack with my break cue (Samarsa tip). I've used other med/med-hard tips and I just can't get used to the feel.

Anyway, regarding Kamui, I think it's a fine tip but the UltraSkin is 98% as good at a fraction of the price; I just got 10 UltraSkins for $25. I'm set for life.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
With all layered tips, I remove 1/3 of the layers and then crown the remaining portion.

JoeyA

Layered tips are horrible unless you do this. I take em down 2 layers, shape it and play for a couple weeks. Then re cut the sides and whoop there it is.

I played with kamui black until I discovered Zan tips. Much better value

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have yet to try Kamui. Only tips I've found I like so far are Wizards and Onyx. Have tried and hated various Ultraskins, Everest, and non-layered tips (though I do like the stock Schon tip pretty well, hard but good). I was surprised how much I like the Onyx that came on my Tiger X Pro because of how much I've disliked every Everest I've ever tried....and they come on so many shafts these days.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui tips are just fine, but if you go for a Soft or Super Soft, there will be some mushrooming, unless you take the tip down by 3 layers when installing it.
Fuji Modena, Zan, G2 and Moori are atleast at the same quality level.
My experience is that G2 Soft, Modena Softa and Zan mushroom less than Kamui.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I play with Sniper and Original Mooris....and I got a medium one-piece on my Black...
....from The Renfro.
I'm satisfied with these tips.

But I hit with somebody's Kamui Clear medium the other day....it felt really good.
.....although I dislike saying Kamui....sounds like I'm going to sneeze....

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Kamui black=black streaks on the cloth.

Black streaks on the cloth=no good

Therefore Kamui black tips=no good.

Don't care how they hit, that's a deal killer all in itself.

JC

I have Kamui blacks on all my shafts and Simonis 860 tournament blue at home. Playing on this particular felt now for about a year and a half I have seen not one speck of black, much less a streak from the tips.