New pool cue...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'd like to go into this next Winter with a new cue. I put a ding in my old Martin, the other day, and have decided to put it up before anything bad happens to it.
Other than my '05 Martin I have used Schon's almost exclusively, and they've always been topped off with a Predator shaft.
This time, however, I'm thinking of going with a Mezz.

My question is this: Of the Mezz shafts available, which might be the best choice for someone who likes low deflection?
Also, is the smaller tip diameter a good way to go? It's been a long time since I've played with anything as small as 12.5 mm.
Thanks,
Tramp

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tramp,

Have you tried a Revo? I love mine! You never have to worry about another ding...ever and its very low deflection. To me it would be the perfect shaft/cue for you.

Cocoa

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tramp,

Have you tried a Revo? I love mine! You never have to worry about another ding...ever and its very low deflection. To me it would be the perfect shaft/cue for you.

Cocoa

Like the Revo concept. Shaft is a bit thick for my taste. But the hit is nice, I like the look of it too to be honest. Second kind of cool.

Problem is the price. A glove can be had for $20. Most ding's are easily fixed, and I would tend to replace a shaft every few years anyway. Would take many years at $200 a pop to make up the difference in cost.

There's my unasked for opinion.:eek:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a thought. Get the cue or shaft from Seybert's and work an exchange if you don't like it.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to go into this next Winter with a new cue. I put a ding in my old Martin, the other day, and have decided to put it up before anything bad happens to it.
Other than my '05 Martin I have used Schon's almost exclusively, and they've always been topped off with a Predator shaft.

My question is this: Of the Mezz shafts available, which might be the best choice for someone who likes low deflection?
Also, is the smaller tip diameter a good way to go? It's been a long time since I've played with anything as small as 12.5 mm.
Thanks,
Tramp

PM sent. :cool:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hi Tramp,

Cocoa

I skimmed over the info on the Revo. It sounds interesting enough, but the price is a bit more than I like.
My competitive days at pool are behind me. All that remains is afternoons with the boys playing team One Pocket.
And staring at the cute young waitresses. :)

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Does anyone have any playing time on the Hybrid Alpha II shaft?
I've been considering that one, but is the hit too stiff? :smile:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I skimmed over the info on the Revo. It sounds interesting enough, but the price is a bit more than I like.
My competitive days at pool are behind me. All that remains is afternoons with the boys playing team One Pocket.
And staring at the cute young waitresses. :)

Same deal here. I started thinking about getting a Revo just for the funk of it. Way too much money and it wont help my game. Currently I have more cues than brains but that's a personal problem. However I'm bored. And young waitresses look at me like I'm their grandfather. Maybe a Revo will help grow hair....I dunno.
I'm an afternoon player also with the guys at the clubhouse. Usually capt. or doubles ...on a good day one person shows up and sanity is restored. OnePocket doubles...would be less painful sucking the tailpipe. Everyone tells his partner how they should be playing, moving,etc and they have no idea what they are talking about.
Tell ya what....you buy a Revo and I'll buy one. I need a bad influence.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Thanks,
Tramp

Tramp ole buddy I have a Schon and a Mezz and love both of them. Try a Mezz, I bet you like it. Make sure it is gluten free and non GMO.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WX900 has the lowest deflection of all the Mezz shafts.
I have made a long Mezz thread in the products section.
I rate Mezz shafts from most to least LD like this:

WX900. 12mm tip diamter
EX Pro. 12.5mm tip diameter
Hybrid Pro II. 12.5mm tip diameter
WX700. 12.5mm tip diameter
Hybrid Alpha. 12.8mm tip diameter

Hope that helps.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lucasi Hybrids play very well and given the Uni-Loc joint and the money you'd save with a Lucasi,, you can buy up all sorts of shafts to try out on it.

I had the Mezz WX900 (united joint), did not like the stiff taper rise. For me to live with with a conical taper, the tip needs to be well under 12mm. The feel of the Mezz hit is exceptional but feel is subjective and doesn't make the ball dance any better.

I'm also interested in trying Meucci's 12 or 11.5mm low-deflection shaft. So I vote you get one of those and write up a good review. For science.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The Lucasi Hybrids play very well and given the Uni-Loc joint and the money you'd save with a Lucasi,, you can buy up all sorts of shafts to try out on it.
I had the Mezz WX900 (united joint), did not like the stiff taper rise. For me to live with with a conical taper, the tip needs to be well under 12mm. The feel of the Mezz hit is exceptional but feel is subjective and doesn't make the ball dance any better.
I'm also interested in trying Meucci's 12 or 11.5mm low-deflection shaft. So I vote you get one of those and write up a good review. For science.

An excellent suggestion, Gorramjayne, but I have my heart set upon the Mezz EC7-Es Ebony.
The only thing left is whether to get the WX700 shaft, or the Hybrid Pro II.
And, of course, it will have an UltraSkin tip installed. :)