If you really want to beat the ghost in 9ball....

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Then i think the only handicap you should be allowed to play with is the break. If you break and get the first shot after the break, even if you don't make a ball on the break, but not bih, you have to accept the table as is, if you can beat the ghost then, i think that is a better test of your skills than starting with bih. If you can't beat the ghost, it won't be because you gave up your turn at the table because of a dry break, if you always get the first shot after the break. How many of you feel you can still beat the ghost without bih to start? This test is no different than playing another person, only difference is you have the guarantee of continuing to shoot after the break even if you didn't make a ball on the break, only difference is if you miss you lose, because the ghost or the other player is guaranteed a run out if you miss.

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safety question

I have a 7 foot table at home I practice on; sometimes the balls are clustered and I play a safety.

I then shoot for the ghost and try to make the hit. If I make a legal hit and pocket a ball, ghost wins, if not I continue my run.

Is this still considered playing the ghost OR any time I shoot and don't legally pocket a ball is a lose?

I keep a score for ten racks and even if I legally pocket the 9 early, I continue till I miss. Best score is 10 per rack.

I average in the 60s or low 70s.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Safety question

I have a 7 foot table at home I practice on; sometimes the balls are clustered and I play a safety.

I then shoot for the ghost and try to make the hit. If I make a legal hit and pocket a ball, ghost wins, if not I continue my run.

Is this still considered playing the ghost OR any time I shoot and don't legally pocket a ball is a lose?

I keep a score for ten racks and even if I legally pocket the 9 early, I continue till I miss. Best score is 10 per rack.

I average in the 60s or low 70s.

Look at it this way, if you in that situation was playing a safty against SVB, what would your odds of a winning outcome be? Keep in mind you can't outplay, out safty the ghost, you can only play safe as well as YOU play safe, and the ghost plays lockup safes, as in no escaping them.

PS, if making the 9 out of turn counts as a win in any tournament, it should count as an early win against the ghost as well.

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes sense. I think I'll be in the lows 60s or 50s

Its a fun way to practice.

Thanks and Happy New Year

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if you get hooked after the break? You're supposed to kick or jump a ball in and then run out the table? That's not a fair test of skill.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if you get hooked after the break? You're supposed to kick or jump a ball in and then run out the table? That's not a fair test of skill.

Why not? It is a more accurate simulation of game play, no?

And I say one can play whatever version he wants. Game spot either way, ok. Getting a ball spot from the ghost? Ok.

You are playing with yourself. You get to choose how you do it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Isn't the break the most acclaimed first shot of the game? Isn't that what everyone claims is SVB strongest asset, the break? Well, you get that same guarantee to be able to run out after the break, even if you don't make a ball on the break, you get the first shot at running the rack, just like you make a ball on EVERY break. I guess you need to work on your break then...LOL

PS, to add in more handicaps in order to give you a better chance to beat the ghost does nothing but diminish your skills and abilities to win without enough handicaps in your favor.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If you really want to beat the ghost without a handicap, you should start from the coin flip. If you don't win the toss and break and run out the set, you lose.

Last edited:

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Then i think the only handicap you should be allowed to play with is the break. If you break and get the first shot after the break, even if you don't make a ball on the break, but not bih, you have to accept the table as is, if you can beat the ghost then, i think that is a better test of your skills than starting with bih. If you can't beat the ghost, it won't be because you gave up your turn at the table because of a dry break, if you always get the first shot after the break. How many of you feel you can still beat the ghost without bih to start? This test is no different than playing another person, only difference is you have the guarantee of continuing to shoot after the break even if you didn't make a ball on the break, only difference is if you miss you lose, because the ghost or the other player is guaranteed a run out if you miss.

It would take a pro level player to beat the ghost without BIH on a nine foot Diamond.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me get this clear - if you break and don't make a ball, you have to play your first shot as is without BIH, but if you break and make a ball, you get the BIH? Or are you proposing you never get BIH after your break, regardless of whether or not you make a ball on the break?

Either way, without BIH after the break, it severely limits any chance any player has of beating the ghost, less than a pro level player. Even for a pro level player, beating the ghost without BIH after the break becomes a very tough challenge.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It would take a pro level player to beat the ghost without BIH on a nine foot Diamond.

So, it's better to fool oneself into believing..."damn I'm a good pool player, BECAUSE i can beat the ghost playing 9ball" who cares about all the handicaps i played with to win!!! I may NEVER win a big pool tournament, but at least i can claim I've beat the ghost, and that i should be a Pro....but i don't want to give up my day job!!

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking that when you are playing by yourself, you SHOULD be doing lots of drills to start, and not only playing types of game that you play in competition. This is boring, but is probably extremely necessary.

I don't know anybody who does this, but we all should be.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Let me get this clear - if you break and don't make a ball, you have to play your first shot as is without BIH, but if you break and make a ball, you get the BIH? Or are you proposing you never get BIH after your break, regardless of whether or not you make a ball on the break?

Either way, without BIH after the break, it severely limits any chance any player has of beating the ghost, less than a pro level player. Even for a pro level player, beating the ghost without BIH after the break becomes a very tough challenge.

That's exactly the point, no bih ever....only 1 single guarantee to have a shot after the break whether you make a ball on the break or not.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The trouble with no BIH after the break, Glen....is you don’t get to work on the break.

I have shot this prop bet...you cream puff the break, play for the 1-ball in the side.

Anybody who breaks them hard on this bet is going broke....
...Ever had a day when you always seem to be pushing after a good break?
....those are the days the ghost devours you.

BIH after the break is a lot more skill.

pt....doesn’t use a Magic Rack

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, it's better to fool oneself into believing..."damn I'm a good pool player, BECAUSE i can beat the ghost playing 9ball" who cares about all the handicaps i played with to win!!! I may NEVER win a big pool tournament, but at least i can claim I've beat the ghost, and that i should be a Pro....but i don't want to give up my day job!!
I've never heard anyone here claiming they can play at a pro level just because they can beat the ghost. Playing the ghost is one way to practice when you don't have anyone else to play - that's all it is. You can always adjust the rules for playing the ghost, making it easier or harder for you to have a chance, depending on your skill level.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've did many races with no ball in hand.

Best I've ever done without ball in hand was hill hill and then a loss.

With ball in hand my best is 7/1. With an average of 7/4. I keep track on computer.

Edit....i forgot to mention I've always used a magic rack.

Last edited: