Bar rules

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Do you play by bar rules for 8 ball? At your table, not where you go to a bar and that's how they play.

I'm guessing most here don't.

What is it about bar rules that makes them not used? What is it about the rules you do play with that makes you use them?

I have my answers for why I play BCAPL rules. Like to hear yours.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Do you play by bar rules for 8 ball? At your table, not where you go to a bar and that's how they play.

What is it about bar rules that makes them not used? What is it about the rules you do play with that makes you use them?

My saying has always been:
"Bar rules tend to change every bar you go to. They are generally the same, but nothing is written down. You have to ask when playing bar rules.... do you play ball in hand? Call everything? What's everything? Rails?
In any league play (sanctioned) there's at least a book of RULES, it says right there plain as day what the rules are."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WPA/BCA-CSI rules. Problem with bar rules is every dive joint with a bar-box has their own version. Seen some of the worst fights in my life over rules crap. I haven't played "bar rules" pool in at least 25yrs.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't like "take what you make" on the break, or "behind the line" on a scratch. I also don't like the fact that bar rules have no option for defense/safety play.

There is still fun to be had in breaking and running on a barbox, playing "honest effort" style, balls out, going for wild breakout shots and shooting at everything you see. But when it comes to money or good competitive action, I prefer rules that incorporate defensive options, and a ball in hand rule that allows a player to really capitalize on their opponent's fouls.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never play bar rules at my home table. I don’t see bar rules pool being played in bars like I used to. It still happens but usually in Small Town, Nowhere by the local drunks.

Around here, if you match up in a bar, it is usually stated APA or BCAPL rules. BCAPL only recently showed up in my area so APA is the more known rule set. For 9-ball, push-out is usually added to APA.

We use APA or BCAPL because it is a great starting point for all the bar rules that need discussed. If the person you are playing doesn’t know the rule set, you usually mention the things that cause problems at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you brush a rail with the object ball and still pocket it, you lose your turn because you didn't call the bank.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I don't like "take what you make" on the break, or "behind the line" on a scratch. I also don't like the fact that bar rules have no option for defense/safety play.

There is still fun to be had in breaking and running on a barbox, playing "honest effort" style, balls out, going for wild breakout shots and shooting at everything you see. But when it comes to money or good competitive action, I prefer rules that incorporate defensive options, and a ball in hand rule that allows a player to really capitalize on their opponent's fouls.

I just shoot the safety and watch em squirm
Not like they are gonna take bih
They dont abide by the rail after contact so i take advantage lol

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
BCAPL only recently showed up in my area so APA is the more known rule set. For 9-ball, push-out is usually added to APA.
Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

So, you're playing 9-ball point-per-ball with a pushout? Do you have a scorekeeper???

Funny way to match up IMO.

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you brush a rail with the object ball and still pocket it, you lose your turn because you didn't call the bank.
That's the fight starter right there. Some drunk whines "It didn't go in clean" and its on like DonkeyKong.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
How is it bar rules don't allow for defensive play? I thought all a player had to do was hit the cue ball so it went at least 5 inches or something like that?

I know it's different everywhere.

I play BCAPL rules. I feel the rules were set up to keep fighting about the game to a minimum.

Had a friend over last night and he went off on how crappy league rules are and how bar rules are the best. He thought he was taking some manly moral high road by saying he would never play a safety. I had to laugh when he said bar rules everyone tries to make a shot. I said I've played in plenty bars w bar rules and seen players dog shots and hide the cb.

I was gonna have him sub for my league team, I know he'd enjoy it. But I'm not sending someone in who refuses to play defense.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
How is it bar rules don't allow for defensive play? I thought all a player had to do was hit the cue ball so it went at least 5 inches or something like that?

I know it's different everywhere.

I play BCAPL rules. I feel the rules were set up to keep fighting about the game to a minimum.

Had a friend over last night and he went off on how crappy league rules are and how bar rules are the best. He thought he was taking some manly moral high road by saying he would never play a safety. I had to laugh when he said bar rules everyone tries to make a shot. I said I've played in plenty bars w bar rules and seen players dog shots and hide the cb.

I was gonna have him sub for my league team, I know he'd enjoy it. But I'm not sending someone in who refuses to play defense.

Some of the bar players get downright angry and violent if you try to play defense
against them. I will very rarely play in a bar against anyone I don't know. Sometimes
the only rule observed in a bar is don't use the cue as a weapon, but anything else
goes. Do you all remember that pool hall scene in the Steven Segal movie when he
beat up everyone with a pool ball stuffed in a cloth napkin? That's generally how
bar games go 'round here

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t appreciate the Small Town, Nowhere comment, that’s where I live. Nobody plays bar rules around here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the bar players get downright angry and violent if you try to play defense
against them. I will very rarely play in a bar against anyone I don't know. Sometimes
the only rule observed in a bar is don't use the cue as a weapon, but anything else
goes. Do you all remember that pool hall scene in the Steven Segal movie when he
beat up everyone with a pool ball stuffed in a cloth napkin? That's generally how
bar games go 'round here
Yep. Bar-pool sux.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

Do you live by street rules? Hummm...I guess probably not. What are street rules? What are bar rules?

Rules-one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere.

Explicit or understood? I hate to have a lawyer in a pool game, but there is too much grey area with bar rules. As stated above, they change from bar to bar and person to person. Probably one of the biggest reasons pool has a bad reputation in the world. When I play at my local bar, I almost always insist on playing league rules and usually BCA rules to whoever I play. For one, it reduces arguments. Secondly, I feel it is better to teach amateurs the correct way to play so that maybe, just maybe, one day we will have a game that is respected by the community and make the world a better place.

BTW- I never play cut-throat,. When I play cut-throat, I play for keeps!

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Don’t appreciate the Small Town, Nowhere comment, that’s where I live. Nobody plays bar rules around here.

I grew up in Small Town, Nowhere and the "bar rules" described here precisely describes pool play in the bars there. I can't stand having to defend my morality or manhood when I play defense in a "bar rules" scenario so I just don't play there. It's way better to play people that have a good grasp on defined APA/BCA style rules.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were I play we get a lot of people from all over, our standard is BCAPL you be amazed
how often you get complaints about them. No "take what you make", no spotting balls or shooting fouls from the kitchen, leave the bar rues in the bar.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in Small Town, Nowhere and the "bar rules" described here precisely describes pool play in the bars there. I can't stand having to defend my morality or manhood when I play defense in a "bar rules" scenario so I just don't play there. It's way better to play people that have a good grasp on defined APA/BCA style rules.
Well put. Ever looked at the wrong end of a pistol 'cause you played safe? Happened to friend years ago in a $5 8ball game. Owner calmed the guy down but for a minute it didn't look good. Looking back i can't believe how often me or a bud dodged serious harm scuffling for bucks. Crazy.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Do you live by street rules? Hummm...I guess probably not. What are street rules? What are bar rules?

Rules-one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere.

Explicit or understood? I hate to have a lawyer in a pool game, but there is too much grey area with bar rules. As stated above, they change from bar to bar and person to person. Probably one of the biggest reasons pool has a bad reputation in the world. When I play at my local bar, I almost always insist on playing league rules and usually BCA rules to whoever I play. For one, it reduces arguments. Secondly, I feel it is better to teach amateurs the correct way to play so that maybe, just maybe, one day we will have a game that is respected by the community and make the world a better place.

BTW- I never play cut-throat,. When I play cut-throat, I play for keeps!

I totally agree. When someone wants to play bar rules many times I'll ask, "what are those, can you show them to me or tell me where I can find them?".

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I hear defensive play in a bar referred to as many pseudo-sexual or racial derogatory
terms. It's never nice, unless, of course, you're trying to make someone mad