2019 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting!

I’m always curious when I see players with a really nice cue action like yours...do you have a coach or teacher? Or did you just learn from watching the better players in your area? I know snooker is played a lot more in Canada than here in the US, so I was thinking maybe you started on a snooker table.

There is a lot of Snooker around here, but I’ve never played it, just don’t enjoy it for some reason.

John Morra lives and plays in this area (now hes in states mostly) so did get to play and watch him a good amount. I’ve always liked his cue action. I wanted to improve my cue action so started to try and emulate his stroke. Took me a good year to even get used to it and almost gave up on it, but i’m glad i didn’t. So yeah i’d say Johnnies game influenced my cueing for sure. Never had any coaching or teaching, just a lot of watching.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a lot of Snooker around here, but I’ve never played it, just don’t enjoy it for some reason.

John Morra lives and plays in this area (now hes in states mostly) so did get to play and watch him a good amount. I’ve always liked his cue action. I wanted to improve my cue action so started to try and emulate his stroke. Took me a good year to even get used to it and almost gave up on it, but i’m glad i didn’t. So yeah i’d say Johnnies game influenced my cueing for sure. Never had any coaching or teaching, just a lot of watching.

Well John is a great player to emulate, for sure. I actually played a lot of snooker for the first year I picked up the game, then switched to pool and never really went back. I never had any coaching as far as cueing technique either, but I tried to emulate the Pinoys for years and wound up with lots of flaws in my cueing before I learned better. Busty was my favorite player, lol. I'm constantly working to improve little things here and there to make my delivery more consistent and accurate.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well John is a great player to emulate, for sure. I actually played a lot of snooker for the first year I picked up the game, then switched to pool and never really went back. I never had any coaching as far as cueing technique either, but I tried to emulate the Pinoys for years and wound up with lots of flaws in my cueing before I learned better. Busty was my favorite player, lol. I'm constantly working to improve little things here and there to make my delivery more consistent and accurate.

Damn, can’t imagine trying to emulate pinoys, let alone Busty’s stroke lol

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, watching Gatz play got me all amped up to try the ghost out this morning. I got lucky and won 7-2. All the racks opened up nicely, no balls tied up. All I had to do was not miss. I got a couple of rolls too. Hit a couple of shots bad but ended up ok.

https://youtu.be/E0tFGheLgnU

Edit: Forgot to add—9-Ball, standard version, same table.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay. Played sets of 9-ball and 10-ball ghost on live stream. Won both 7-5
Table is brand new Dynamic 3 (Eurotour table). Pockets are 11.5 cm size. Table plays like Mosconi Cup table still. Cloth is 3 hours old :D
Dynamic forgot to send side planks so table is looking funny still.. W8 those for next week.

Edit: here is the link: https://youtu.be/LUhOo1iWiVc

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ghost 9Ball BIH Finally

I finally beat the ghost since I've modified my pocket to play much more difficult than a 9 foot Diamond. The ghost jumped on me and won the first game. It was a horse race for the first several games then I broke free and won 7-4. Now that I know it can be done on my table, maybe they will come easier. Hope you enjoy

Watch "Ghost 9-Ball 22-Apr-2019 Brunswick 10-Foot Table Pockets 4.25 inches Win 7-4" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/0D1M7xBHHMQ

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first day I tried this hope I can get a better run later!
score:7-1
table: 8 foot 4.25 inch pockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pugbA8w3co&feature=youtu.be

Good shooting. Awww, youth!

Not joking at all, make your races LOONNGGGER.....

win/lose dont matter. What matters is training yourself to play at "whatever" your best is for longer and longer timeframes.

I'm currently working on trying to beat the 9 ball ghost to 25. I've done it before but it been awhile.

Try it when you have time.

I for one, would love to see it.

I'll put mine up soon I hope.

Again, good shooting.

Rake

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally beat the ghost since I've modified my pocket to play much more difficult than a 9 foot Diamond. The ghost jumped on me and won the first game. It was a horse race for the first several games then I broke free and won 7-4. Now that I know it can be done on my table, maybe they will come easier. Hope you enjoy

Watch "Ghost 9-Ball 22-Apr-2019 Brunswick 10-Foot Table Pockets 4.25 inches Win 7-4" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/0D1M7xBHHMQ

I was wondering what happened to you, lol. Didn’t you make the shelf crazy deep on your table in addition to tightening the opening and changing the pocket geometry? Good shooting.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. 2.25 shelf. Sux. Contemplating on purchasing a 9 foot diamond.

I was wondering what happened to you, lol. Didn’t you make the shelf crazy deep on your table in addition to tightening the opening and changing the pocket geometry? Good shooting.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. 2.25 shelf. Sux. Contemplating on purchasing a 9 foot diamond.

If you decide to go with a 9' diamond, you will not regret it.

I play on a 10er identical to yours. The owner spent the money to have one of diamonds guys come out and spend a LOT of time extending the rails, changing pocket angles and making it have a ~2.25' shelf.

It plays "closer" to a diamond but, it's just to hard to get a table like that to play "tough", while at the same time..... not being a gaff table.

I like the extra real estate on the 10'er. It's way more forgiving as long as you dont get "to far" out of line.

Then again, the trade off is the longer shots that come with that extra room to move.

IMO, a 9' pro-am with 4 3/8 corners with correctly proportioned sides is just right.

Not so easy to make you lazy but, not so hard you can't have fun....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great shooting everyone! I updated the first post with the latest scores. Let me know if there are any errors on your own links/scores.

For any ties, the tie breaker is the date.

Keep on strokin.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you decide to go with a 9' diamond, you will not regret it.

I play on a 10er identical to yours. The owner spent the money to have one of diamonds guys come out and spend a LOT of time extending the rails, changing pocket angles and making it have a ~2.25' shelf.

It plays "closer" to a diamond but, it's just to hard to get a table like that to play "tough", while at the same time..... not being a gaff table.

I like the extra real estate on the 10'er. It's way more forgiving as long as you dont get "to far" out of line.

Then again, the trade off is the longer shots that come with that extra room to move.

IMO, a 9' pro-am with 4 3/8 corners with correctly proportioned sides is just right.

Not so easy to make you lazy but, not so hard you can't have fun....

Yes, it gets frustrating at times when I hit the pocket perfect and the ball rattles and sits in the jaws knowing that that ball drops every time on a diamond pro am.