Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings
Page 6 of 83 « First 456 781656 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.96 average.
Old
  (#76)
DeadStick
student of the game
DeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Fundamentals- score 81

http://youtu.be/slVzB8b3UjI is part 1
http://youtu.be/rSGZp439EqQ is part 2

Masters- score 60

Masters test part 1 http://youtu.be/MF9TFjMCkOE
Masters test part 2 http://youtu.be/gpfv-rmmPII
Masters test part 3 http://youtu.be/dlyH0FSK_-8

Total score- 141

This was a good test. Worked a lot of different areas. I recommend everyone try it and work with it, it can only improve your game. I tested about where I thought I would end up. Felt like I could definitely have done better on a few areas, but that's what happens when you hardly ever play anymore.
Neil, did you shoot those in IMAX format or something? I've never seen YouTube videos take so long to process.

Brunswick Centennial 9-foot table with Mark Gregory rails, 4.5" pockets, and Simonis 860HR.
Jim Baxter 60" amboyna burl plain jane with Z2 shafts, OB break cue, Steve Lomax ebony with silver-rings jump cue.

Old
  (#77)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4

That damn wagon wheel was hard. I think I missed about 8 in a row at one point.

And seeing myself on video I see how bad my stroke is. It's kinda like when you hear a recording of yourself and you think "do I sound like THAT?"

This is my test 2, score 56. http://youtu.be/bUuq-0Y-R6k

I only got 3/10 on the safeties.

Total score: 132.
Nice job Neil. I quoted mine above. It looks like I tied Gerry Williams, but I think I should get extra points for doing mine on an 8' table with big pockets, instead of his snobby 9' table with tight pockets.

Old
  (#78)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
Neil, did you shoot those in IMAX format or something? I've never seen YouTube videos take so long to process.
To be perfectly honest, I'm about as computer literate as a chimpanzee. I'm just a little proud of myself that I even managed to get them uploaded at all. I have no clue whatsoever why it takes so long??? I film them, put my memory card in the hard drive, download it to documents/videos, then upload that to you tube. Probably doing something backwards as usual. ???

Heck, I feel like I finally arrived in the 20th century having a computer and a camera that can at least record 25-30 minutes. I know, I know, this is the 21st century and I'm still WAY behind the times.

edit:Just checked, and the master #1 says 20 more minutes, the rest are still hours away. Should be view-able in the morning.

Last edited by Neil; 05-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Old
  (#79)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Nice job Neil. I quoted mine above. It looks like I tied Gerry Williams, but I think I should get extra points for doing mine on an 8' table with big pockets, instead of his snobby 9' table with tight pockets.
lol, I ought to get two of those banks that got the points! I was pretty disappointed with my break shots. Couldn't keep the cb off the rails, and barely got the required # of balls uptable, I think one of them didn't even do that! Of course though, I had great runnout capabilities on all three, and I didn't have to run out. Usually I'm hooked or banking the 1 or 2 ball. I really blew it on the safeties. Speed was off because of all the rain we had yesterday and today, over compensated too much, and had trouble getting any draw on the draw shots.

Thanks
Old
  (#80)
pogmothoin
AzB Gold Member
pogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Thanks - 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM

I want to say that I've read your website and viewed your video's for some time. They have been a big help in my quest to improve my game. I am certainly not a top player, just a person who likes to play for relaxation. I'll be testing myself using your system, not because I will break any records but because it's great practice.

Thanks for all you've done to improve my game and that of many, many others.

Old
  (#81)
oshua86
AzB Silver Member
oshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond reputeoshua86 has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2013, 01:46 AM

Can someone explain to me in more detail the progressive scoring of the first few drills, I saw the instructional video but the score in my head was always higher than what Dr Dave would say. Do you count one point for every successful attempt and another bonus point for every successful time u stay at 7 after you pocket your first 7?

It's hard to wait for something you know might never happen; but it's harder to give up when you know it's everything you want.

Old
  (#82)
JayKidd
Grammatically Challenged
JayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Kudos for the excellent work, Dr. Dave, it must have taken your years of effort to built and test the system.

After a quick glance of the exams, I was wondering why combinations/caroms didn't make their ways into the drills tested. They are quite effective in games, more useful than jumping shots IMHO.

The truth shall make you fret

Old
  (#83)
JayKidd
Grammatically Challenged
JayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2013, 02:00 AM

I think so, if you started at 4, it takes 3 shots to be on 7, if you are successful in
all remaining shots. You will earn 7 bonus points, so your total score will be 17,
however the maxmium score will still be 10. Was I wrong on my math?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshua86 View Post
Can someone explain to me in more detail the progressive scoring of the first few drills, I saw the instructional video but the score in my head was always higher than what Dr Dave would say. Do you count one point for every successful attempt and another bonus point for every successful time u stay at 7 after you pocket your first 7?

The truth shall make you fret

Old
  (#84)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Fundamentals- score 81

http://youtu.be/slVzB8b3UjI is part 1
http://youtu.be/rSGZp439EqQ is part 2

Masters- score 60

Masters test part 1 http://youtu.be/MF9TFjMCkOE
Masters test part 2 http://youtu.be/gpfv-rmmPII
Masters test part 3 http://youtu.be/dlyH0FSK_-8

Total score- 141
Good job Neil! That's strong.

Congratulations ... you just earned the second of the three free diplomas. The last two videos aren't done processing yet, but I'll trust you.

PM or e-mail me your mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've already added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

I assume that is a Valley/Dynamo table, right?

Quote:
This was a good test. Worked a lot of different areas. I recommend everyone try it and work with it, it can only improve your game.
Thanks for the feedback. I think the exams are very useful as a structured and comprehensive practice routine or pool workout.

Quote:
I tested about where I thought I would end up. Felt like I could definitely have done better on a few areas, but that's what happens when you hardly ever play anymore.
Hopefully, you can practice more and get on a big table so you can earn your Doctorate of Pool (DP) some day.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

Old
  (#85)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
I've never seen YouTube videos take this long to process either. Does anybody know why this is happening? Is it because these posters are new Youtube users, requiring the videos to be checked more thoroughly?

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#86)
Neil
AzB Silver Member

05-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Good job Neil! That's strong.

Congratulations ... you just earned the second of the three free diplomas. The last two videos aren't done processing yet, but I'll trust you.

PM or e-mail me your mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've already added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

I assume that is a Valley/Dynamo table, right?

Thanks for the feedback. I think the exams are very useful as a structured and comprehensive practice routine or pool workout.

Hopefully, you can practice more and get on a big table so you can earn your Doctorate of Pool (DP) some day.

Thank you for participating,
Dave
Thanks Dave! Yes, it is a modified Valley. Last two videos have about 30 and 5 min. left and then they will be viewable.

Old
  (#87)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-29-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4

That damn wagon wheel was hard. I think I missed about 8 in a row at one point.

And seeing myself on video I see how bad my stroke is. It's kinda like when you hear a recording of yourself and you think "do I sound like THAT?"

This is my test 2, score 56. http://youtu.be/bUuq-0Y-R6k

I only got 3/10 on the safeties.

Total score: 132.
I'm glad you decided to post videos after all.

Congratulations ... you just earned the last of the three free diplomas.

PM or e-mail me your real name and mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

Good job,
Dave

Old
  (#88)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-29-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Just checked, and the master #1 says 20 more minutes, the rest are still hours away. Should be view-able in the morning.
So "still processing" means "still uploading." You just have a slow connection and/or really big video files. Now I understand.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#89)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-29-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshua86 View Post
Here is the explanation from the Exam I document:

Instructions (for drills: F1-F4):
• Start with the cue ball (CB) in position 4. Each time you pocket the object ball (OB), advance the CB one position (e.g., from 4 to 5); and with each miss, move down by one number (e.g., from 4 to 3). If you succeed at position 7 or miss at position 1, stay at that position. The phrase “progressive practice” is used to describe this type of drill because the difficulty level changes progressively in response to your performance.
• Continue for 10 shots total.
• Adjust the CB position after the 10th shot based on the outcome, but not below 1 or above 7. For example if you make the 10th shot at 6, the final position is 7; and if you miss the 10th shot at 6, the final position is 5.
• Your score for the drill is the final position number plus a bonus for excellence. The bonus is equal to the numbers of successes at position 7. The maximum total score allowed is 10.

If you use the Exam I scoresheet while taking the exam, things should also be more clear.

It might also help to watch the Exam I Overview video again after reading this.

I hope that helps,
Dave

Old
  (#90)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKidd View Post
Kudos for the excellent work, Dr. Dave, it must have taken your years of effort to built and test the system.
Thanks. It was a lot of work, but I am proud of and happy with the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKidd View Post
After a quick glance of the exams, I was wondering why combinations/caroms didn't make their ways into the drills tested. They are quite effective in games, more useful than jumping shots IMHO.
Combos and caroms were on my original list, which was far too long. I had to draw the line somewhere to keep the exams to a manageable length.

Concerning the jump shots, I think it is an extremely important skill in modern and high level pool. But I also agree with you that combos and caroms are just as important.

Regards,
Dave

Page 6 of 83 « First 456 781656 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: