How many of you own a sneaky pete?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one of those back then about 1990. It was one of the top 3 best hitting cues I have ever had and I have had a few!! I sold it to someone who thought as much of it as I did for a stupid high price that I couldn't refuse. Generally I don't like Meucci cues but a Sneaky Pete isn't like the regular production run of the fancier cues. I could use the money at time but I sure regret selling it now!! Don't sell any cues you think are phenomenal!!:eek:

I have owned this Meucci sneaky pete since ~1991. Of the three Meuccis I owned, this is the one I kept because I liked it the most for playing pool. Nobody who knows anything will be deceived by a cue with a ferrule that long. I use it most often at pool halls or bars that are new to me. If the cue was knocked over or otherwise damaged, I wouldn't like it, but it would not be a disaster. A couple of times, the cue has been put on the rack when I wasn't looking. Easy to find, though because of the ferrule.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Weir sneaky pete from the early 80's. Lots of controversy around those but I still have it, always hit great, still straight as an arrow.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not me

I play way to good to play with a sneaky Pete. That would be like Fred Astair dancing in flip flops.
Jack

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I play way to good to play with a sneaky Pete. That would be like Fred Astair dancing in flip flops.
Jack

Its not how good your A-game is but how good your B-game is. Maybe your B-game is worthy of a sneaker cue? :wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not the sneakiest, but I have a nice Murray Tucker. One of the first 5 cues he ever made.

That is a gorgeous cue....I’ve always kept my eye out for one....
...like to be able to at least hold it before I buy.

It also reminds me of a scene at a tournament...when you get older, everything reminds
you of something else.

The old Empire State tour....Florences’ room in Binghampton NY

Dennis Hatch is playing Joe Tucker in the finals...Dennis’ area, big crowd favorite.
But the man from Rhode Island won the match...silence from the partisan crowd...
...so I stood up and said “Dennis, the man’s name is Tucker, not sucker!”

Got some laughter, even from Dennis....then Joe got the applause he deserved.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a gorgeous cue....I’ve always kept my eye out for one....
...like to be able to at least hold it before I buy.

They are super hard to find now, I would think.

He only made a few cues a year and now he isn't making any at all.

He put his equipment into storage and it's questionable if he will ever break it out again.

It would be interesting to know just how many cues he has made in total. It can't be a whole lot.

Last edited:

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My original SP was the bar cue in the wall rack with the best tip. Roll it on the table to find which way it flops and use the weight stamp as an index so that it would move up/down on the stroke instead of side to side. I shot for many years and won consistently with the bar provided SP before I broke down and bought a $89 Taiwanese stick with ivory ferrule that I still have and my shooting improved with it.

I finally bought a vanilla Schmelke SP for $99 a while back as a lark when my old cue maker buddy wanted to go into bars and have some fun with the unsuspecting. It looks like a bar cue except for the long ferrule, mismatched shaft/butt, and purple heartwood so it won't fool the trained eye. It plays well for a $99 cue but the weight bolt rattles right out of the box so I need to fix that.

Haven't taken it out of the house yet as my buddy has been having health issues. If I do it will be difficult to sneak it in unless I wear a trench coat as using a case exposes the ruse. Otherwise I would have to jam the pieces down my pants legs and walk funny till I got it put together.

Nowadays I don't think shooting with a two piece cue will scare anyone away from a game unless they are noobs or someone that only plays occasionally on a night at the bar. It's more about how you act at the table. I used to grab an empty table and start shooting balls normally until someone started watching. I would then chum the waters by rattling balls and acting rattled that I was missing. If someone approached about a game there was additional acting required to keep from getting my ass kicked literally and figuratively, which is a whole other post.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this count? I do have a Frey and an Omen but this one is in a case somewhere.

Attachments

• McDermott1.jpg
    McDermott1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 132

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@strmanglr scott

I don't know what your aim is in playing someone for money but it seems you have sharking/hustling in mind since you are asking about using a sneaky Pete so here is some related advice.

I no longer gamble/bet, but I always play to win because it is more fun to just kick butt without the worries that come with betting. Stalling/deception is a good way to get into a beef/fight since you are usually doing that when playing someone you do not know. You had better have some backup muscle and be very aware of your surroundings. Don't be a Fast Eddy Felson and show the opponent that they never had a chance. On the other hand, if it is someone you have played before and know well it is likely a whole different deal.

Last time I played for $ was about a year ago when this young buck that thinks he is a shark approached me while I was practicing 8 ball on a bar table and challenged me to play for $10. I kept turning him down and when he persisted I asked him if he was trying to shark me, and he replied "well, wouldn't you?" which I thought was a curious answer. When he then said, "c'mon, it's not like it's a weeks wages" my thought was " well, maybe it is for you,.." and agreed to play him.

He won the toss, broke, made a ball and missed. I gave him his $10 lesson by nailing a difficult run out that required caroming one of my OB off of 2 others on the way into the corner pocket. He thanked me for the game and left.

The moral of the story is if I had wanted to take whatever money he had I would have played him like a fish (make sure to lose the first one, go back and forth, raise the stakes and then slowly and gradually drain his wallet) but I just wanted him to go away.

I have played a few hustlers that responded to my chumming that didn't realize until later on that they had been hustled instead but by that time I had stopped playing for money and was playing for drinks. I then had to give that up because I could win a lot faster than I could drink! I can usually spot a hustler even if they aren't using a bar cue and will tell them after a game or three that they need to keep looking for a mark.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
All my ques are Sneaky's. The drawback is once I get a great combo of butt & shaft it's difficult to remember which goes with which.
That reason is I don't have a single large dedicated case so they tend to get mixed up. But that will change soon.

Also, I'm always experimenting with tips, shaft recuts, etc., but I do tend to stay with the Meucci long thin cut.

Past 6 years I tried & really like the 30" shaft. Besides more front weight it has a little more spring/compression flex/squirt.
And yes I do have different tip hardness's for different shots and table speeds. LOTS of variables... and headaches since I'm in a traveling league.
Our area is near Lake Michigan, ambient moisture plays a huge factor (more variables) on the tables.
Now I'm off topic, WOOPS! :eek: