Worst case od slow-playing

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Worst case of slow-playing

Lou's thread on worst case of sharking reminded me of a few cases of slow-playing I remember from back in the day. Now, I think most would agree that slow-playing *is* a form of sharking but much more subtle than any most if not all other forms of it. Here are a few I recall right off the bat.

Jimmy Hodges was playing Harry the Horse in a tournament in N. Carolina circa 85 or so. And Hodges was taking like... 3 HOURS between shots. Harry was so mad you could see steam, like from a teapot on full boil, shooting out of his ears. And the madder he got, the slower Jimmy played. It was quite a sight to see. Harry wanted to kill him.

The other one was at a tournament at Bill Stigall's room in Tampa @ 78 or 79. Little Donny ( from Detroit ) had drawn Little David ( Howard ) early in the draw. And Donny was slow-playing to beat the band and was, actually, making a real show of it, prancing around the table 7 or 8 times before every shot, lining up, mapping out, looking, planning, etc, etc. ForEVER. But as good as he may've been with it, he probably wanted to fine-tune it a bit more. David won 11-2, I think. Or something close. And ( as indicated by the score ) David never showed one iota of caring as to what Donny was doing. Never blinked an eye. Just got out every time at the table. It was actually pretty funny. Donny was the one who ended up steaming from the ears.

Anyone else have any slow-playing stories? I KNOW there's a ton of them out there.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not so much a slow/staller but guys in my clubhouse still do not realize a reasonable amount of time is expected to process. Get down get up get down get up and maybe make a decision before the room closes.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frank Taberski was known to take his time, to say the least.

I hope you are grossly exaggerating about someone taking 3 hours between shots. I am a very patient person, but it might drive me insane if someone even took 20 minutes between shots. I would rather take 20 shots at the bar, then to play someone that slow.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let them take as long as they like. If it gets to you it gets to you. If it doesn’t it makes
no difference how long they’ve taken. There are far bigger things to worry about - everything else.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Frank Taberski was known to take his time, to say the least.

I hope you are grossly exaggerating about someone taking 3 hours between shots. I am a very patient person, but it might drive me insane if someone even took 20 minutes between shots. I would rather take 20 shots at the bar, then to play someone that slow.

Yes, I was greatly exaggerating, to make the point of how long it *FEELS* between shots when someone is stalling to the nth degree. Seems as if it takes DAYS sometimes, let alone 3 hours. :eek:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
old Joe

There was a place that was perfect to pump up a little, small action on the table twenty-four seven. It was an absolute dump off in the piney woods of Satsuma LA, didn't even have a name. It had a pool table and beer. Never even saw a woman in there.

Old Joe played there, might have owned it. Joe might have been in his eighties or older, he was ancient. I was in my teens and full of fire. Joe moved very slowly, walked slowly, shot so slowly the balls never left the bevel falling in a pocket. Worst thing is that Joe could run out. Without stalling that could take fifteen minutes! Joe would get on the table and I would be on the edge of my seat. He would miss, I would jump up and being overeager either miss or miss shape and the torture would begin again.

For about three months Joe owned me. I knew I was a much better player, except when playing Joe. I knew I had to find a new battle plan. Next time I went to that place I acted half asleep when Joe was shooting, a mildly interested observer. Beat him that time, and a couple games a few more times then he simply wouldn't play me. I was probably a couple hundred in the hole to Joe but he taught me to relax in the chair when I wasn't shooting. That made me many thousands in the coming years and while it wasn't his intention I consider Joe one of my mentors in the game. While he was called Old Joe around there he was always a gentleman and I prefer to remember him as Gentleman Joe. Only years later did I wonder if he might have been "somebody" in his younger days. His level of pool at his age was pretty amazing.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Kid Slowlicious was the worst I saw .
Against Bustamante at the Bike.
He freaking powdered , rolled his shoulder ( yes, he has a tick but still ) and powedered some more, walked a little more, then more walking, then getting down 5 times before shooting.
He made Ralph Souquet look like Butera.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always been pretty patient and try to inject humor whenever possible.

Playing BCA team 8 ball in Dallas, my opponent is hooked and taking a very long time to shoot, he then excused himself to the bathroom!

When the game finally concludes one of my teammates says
“Man that was brutal, what the hell took him so long?”
I matter of factually replied
“He was waiting for a couple of layers to erode off that 5 ball, then he wouldn’t be hooked anymore.”

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Kid Slowlicious was the worst I saw .
Against Bustamante at the Bike.
He freaking powdered , rolled his shoulder ( yes, he has a tick but still ) and powedered some more, walked a little more, then more walking, then getting down 5 times before shooting.
He made Ralph Souquet look like Butera.

I used to like when they toweled off their cue 3 or 4 times between shots. I would be thinking their 13mm shaft would be 12mm by the end of a few sets.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played in a senior league. Guy took 25 strokes. A jury would have sympathized

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I tend not to act on my emotions. But 25 strokes calls for street justice.

That particular oddity or tic gets me as well. Maybe more so than just standing and staring so long. I try to stay in the game from the chair, watching like it was me playing, and I keep expecting the pause, ready to fire, but they just keep stroking to and fro. Finally a pause....then back to stroking again :yikes:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
*Nobody* has any stories about getting stalled or slow-played? Or any stories about it at all even if you just saw it or heard it? Really???

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend not to act on my emotions. But 25 strokes calls for street justice.

I know a guy like that. It has been that way with him since I first met in in the mid 80's. Not uncommon to get close to 30 strokes every time he is at the table. We used to count them to see if he would break any records.

Painful to watch or play against guys like that. It will only hurt your game to play against people like that.
You would think it would get uncomfortable being down on a ball that long and erode confidence in the shot. That and everyone can't stand to play you!
Whichever bracket they are in for a double elimination tournament will be WAY behind the other one!