What on earth is this thing?

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
It's a cue that came up for auction back in 2016. With most auction companies they had no idea of value. They estimate between $800-$1500. needless to say they were wrong. I was a phone bidder, but was eliminated pretty quickly. I kept talking with my bidder and told him what the cue would probably sell for and it went for a a little more especially once you added the Buyer Premium. The cue is missing a few pieces, but was a nice find with a good provenance. Unfortunately for me a few more people seen it in time.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a cue that came up for auction back in 2016. With most auction companies they had no idea of value. They estimate between $800-$1500. needless to say they were wrong. I was a phone bidder, but was eliminated pretty quickly. I kept talking with my bidder and told him what the cue would probably sell for and it went for a a little more especially once you added the Buyer Premium. The cue is missing a few pieces, but was a nice find with a good provenance. Unfortunately for me a few more people seen it in time.

The cue sold for about $17,000.00 back then in that auction. Blew away the estimates.

I was watching and involved as well.

I saved screenshots around here somewhere. It has some provenance. I did research it and found more at that time.

I believe it was posted here on AZB as well, but I could be wrong. I know it has been mentioned since then.

Yes, it was missing some inlay pieces, but a very good candidate for restoration, and well worth it IMHO. This cue is a museum piece.

This cue is for the serious collector with serious cash to throw at it. IMHO one should have been in on the original auction. Any further sales of this cue will be at the "true value". But if you want it, and you have the cash, surely there is only one.

This would be a crown jewel of any antique cue collection and IMHO should be properly documented, curated, and displayed.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea who owned it?
Or who did the inlay work?
Just awesome.

As it says in the ad:

"The cue and case was owned by Edward Beale Mclean owner of the Washington Post Newspaper"

"Also was the owner of the famous Hope Diamond"

No idea who did the inlays.

I have a bunch of research on this somewhere.